Observations on new Escape 21 - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-18-2019, 06:02 PM   #21

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
A couple more observations after arriving back home. A lot of sawdust, more than I noticed in my prior Escapes. Perhaps the sander was broken that week? The newer model seems more robust, extra support appears everywhere and the walls seem more solid. I only got the bath wall reinforced. The wiring and plumbing seem neater, the 12 wiring is 2 wires but one strand whereas before it was 2 wires, 2 strands. The wiring is all within looms also. When splicing into the 12v wires I inserted a penknife blade and the strand easily separated into 2 wires, there also seems to be a thick strand between the red and black, making separation easier. Nice touch. I do not however like the 90 degree door, that will be eliminated as soon as I figure out how to attach a standout on the exterior shell and get access from inside. May have to cut a hole in the cubby stand for access.
Old 06-18-2019, 06:36 PM   #22

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I do not however like the 90 degree door, that will be eliminated as soon as I figure out how to attach a standout on the exterior shell and get access from inside. May have to cut a hole in the cubby stand for access.
I am not sure if you want something like this, but it can be installed from the outside with the provided hardware.

I have lost the ability to hold my finger on a post number and make a link to it...so the info is in post # 32 in Modifications to Eggscape. (Is it just me or anyone else having this copy problem?)
Attached Thumbnails
14DD80E0-7A32-4016-901D-69B7C6EBF8D8.jpg  

https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f8...ape-12918.html
Eggscape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 06:40 PM   #23

I book marked yours Ed, but I think I want something more robust other than magnets holding it open. If I can not get interior access yours is my backup plan.
Old 06-18-2019, 07:35 PM   #24

Trailer: ?
“I do not however like the 90 degree door...’

That was my initial feeling as well. I mean doors open 180*; they just do.

Until I installed a handle on the screened door and found that the handle on the 90* door was really nice to hang onto for a little support and balancing when using the steps.
Plus the piston on the bottom of the door keeps it from slamming open , or shut, on a windy day.
I’m now a 90* door fan.

The Other Ed

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
EdColorado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2019, 07:46 PM   #25

Trailer: 2005 Escape 17B Sold 2016. 2016 Escape 19 Sold 2019. 2019 Escape 21 picked up Sep 2019
Quote:
I do not however like the 90 degree door,.
I just ordered a 21 after having had a 17b and 19. What is a 90 degree door? Don't tell me the exterior door to the trailer doesn't open all the way against the trailer. That wouldn't make sense, right?
Old 06-18-2019, 09:15 PM   #26

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by sallemann View Post
I just ordered a 21 after having had a 17b and 19. What is a 90 degree door? Don't tell me the exterior door to the trailer doesn't open all the way against the trailer. That wouldn't make sense, right?
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f7...oor-14268.html
Old 06-20-2019, 10:30 AM   #27

So I started some minor changes inside this past week. Due to the issues with the flickering lights, I ordered mine with the captain under cabinet lights in lieu of the pancake lights that seemed plagued with issues.These lights had permanent LED soldered and I felt the removable bulbs of the captain lights could address that issue easily. Well what I did not know was the Escape already were installing a new type of LED light that had replaceable bulbs. Upon inspection of my unit which had captain lights on the kitchen and dinette o/h I decided to purchase a new pancake light to switch out the captain light over the kitchen. I installed this new light as well as a red LED night light that stays on. I then relocated the original captain light over the nightstand short stack. I had ETI install an optional 12v outlet on the o/h face which I removed and installed a Jensen am/fm/weather radio over the hole and tapped that power inside the pantry to the new captain light as well as some interior closet lights on a switch located right below the Jensen radio. After figuring out the proper wiring to power the radio, new light and a switch for new closet lights, everything works as planned. I also removed the flip up table ETI installed at the wrong height on the side of the short stack and moved it to the kitchen door side. I took my sink cover which I requested no hole and installed it at the right height on the short stack that faces the bed. I installed some umbra shelves as well as spice rack for items by the door and found my old volt meter with an alarm for my 12v plug by the door. I need the spice rack to install red LED down lights under it and inside the kitchen lower cabinets for indirect nighttime illumination.Finally I removed a refer vent screw and drilled a hole and replaced the screw on the exterior refer vent as it seemed very loose fitting and I did not want to lose it on the road.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0831.jpg   IMG_0832.jpg   IMG_0833.jpg   IMG_0834.jpg   IMG_0837.jpg  

IMG_0830.jpg   IMG_0829.jpg   IMG_0828.jpg  
Old 06-20-2019, 10:32 AM   #28

one more picture
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0838.jpg  
Old 07-06-2019, 05:36 PM   #29

Went camping for the 4th at nearby State Park. On my prior 3 Escapes, tires were always 50 PSI, now they are 65 PSI and I believe a higher rated tire. Arrived at state park and decided the 90 degree door had to go, it made the room too dark and restricted airflow. I removed the door stop and placed a suction handle outside with a small buggy strap, I'm a happy camper. Also I used the 30 amp power cord vs the 15amp since we had to use air conditioning at night due to the high heat and humidity. I installed a rubber grommet on the cord and it fit the hole perfectly to keep pests out.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0872.jpg   IMG_0873.jpg   IMG_0875.jpg   IMG_0878.jpg  
Old 07-06-2019, 05:42 PM   #30

We also took with us our new family member, Franklin. He was a local rescue and when we found out his name, we acted quickly. He is a Vizsia hunting dog, native to Hungary. About 15 months old and full of energy. He and Hershey became best friends and he went camping for the first time this weekend. He kicked me out of my bed the second night....the power struggle is on....
Attached Images

Old 07-06-2019, 06:20 PM   #31

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
He and Hershey became best friends and he went camping for the first time this weekend. He kicked me out of my bed the second night....the power struggle is on....
I know who'll win that one....hope you like sleeping in the dinette
Old 07-06-2019, 06:38 PM   #32

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Jim- I'm not surprised you'd want to open the door fully. Escapes are a bit challenged in the ambient light department imho, one of their few shortcomings. You need all the light you can get.

Franklin likes to be photographed.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 06:39 PM   #33

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Tell us more about the red LEDs. They would be useful for the stargazers in the group.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 06:44 PM   #34

Trailer: 2019 5.0TA "Junior", 2019 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
Tell us more about the red LEDs. They would be useful for the stargazers in the group.
I replaced the two lights mounted on the underside of the upper dinette cabinets with these: https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B004GBYI...v_ov_lig_dp_it

Kind of expensive, but they were the only light fixtures I could find with colored LED's. The red is nice for when you need just a little illumination at night and don't want to blind yourself with bright white LED light.
Old 07-06-2019, 07:28 PM   #35

The red led's are hard wired to the power supply in the bath and kitchen o/h. I pulled out the bath wires in the ceiling which had the permanent clamp style "V" connection and cut the wires and replaced them with a butt connector type adding the red led. The butt type take up a lot less room and was easier to reinstall back into the1/2" hole in the bath oh inner fiberglass bath enclosure. the light is red all the time unless turned on, then it is white. similarly to the kitchen o/h, I replaced the captain light from the factory (actually relocated it) with a double pancake light with the red led hard wired and on all the time unless the light is turned on. At night it is very easy to get around with these red led lights....https://smile.amazon.com/50PCS-Ultra...ateway&sr=8-38
Old 07-06-2019, 07:44 PM   #36

New Franklin and Hershey tonite ....
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0864.jpg  
Old 07-06-2019, 10:31 PM   #37

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21
Congrats to the new Franklin.The Vizlas are absolutely gorgeous dogs.
Will be a good fit, glad you saved him.
Allan Bornestig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2019, 11:35 PM   #38

Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA Oct 2019;current Escape 19 2017
Quote:
We also took with us our new family member, Franklin. He was a local rescue and when we found out his name, we acted quickly. He is a Vizsia hunting dog, native to Hungary. About 15 months old and full of energy. He and Hershey became best friends and he went camping for the first time this weekend. He kicked me out of my bed the second night....the power struggle is on....
He is one handsome boy
dmdunca44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 02:25 AM   #39
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Lewis View Post
on my e21, theres a switch just inside the door that turns one of the ceiling lights on/off. if the ceiling light is on, it has two positions on its own switch, one side or both sides. So, I took the white LED array out of the one side, and replaced it with am amber wedge-base LED... at the star party last weekend, I replaced the amber with a red wedge base, but I really didn't use it much.

mostly I used amber LED "candles", I have a dozen. the amber 'candle' light was just fine on night vision and let me see my way around the insides the trailer better than red light.

John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2019, 07:35 PM   #40

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I’ve always liked those Visulas, I hunted over a couple a few times and they were good pheasant dogs. They are a little soft skinned and get a little beat up in the brush but do not pick up burrs like a springer or a Brittany. They will show you things wherever you go that you did not know were there. Good nose. Looking forward to meeting this new member of the Norman family. Franklin Norman, works either way. Good luck
Iowa Dave