Odd messages from Verizon data service - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-18-2015, 02:15 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Odd messages from Verizon data service

For those of you who have the Verizon data service using a hotspot (formerly with Millenicom), have you been getting odd text messages on your hotspot? Verizon says the text messaging capability of the hotspot is solely for it to communicate with customers (one-way), but for the past two weeks I have been receiving non-VZW texts that bear no relation to anything I'm doing. I'm wondering if anyone else has been getting these.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 02:50 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I get them occasionally Mike, and have for years. They're just spam. Remember, spam sms or text messages can be sent to a list of phone numbers, and your WiFi hotspot has a phone number. So, it gets spammed too. I would say this happens once or twice every few months on mine.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:02 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I got a spam call on my home phone and the caller ID indicated that the call came from my phone.
Old 05-18-2015, 03:04 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 Tow: 2024 Toyota Tundra
Well, that makes sense. I had never received spam messages on the hotspot before two weeks ago, and now I've had five. I guess VZW needs to update its filters, or something.
Mike Lewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 03:42 PM   #5

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I got a spam call on my home phone and the caller ID indicated that the call came from my phone.
The joys of caller ID plus VoIP: the system was designed for phone companies to pass caller information from other trusted phone companies on to the recipient and so they didn't need to secure it from fraudulent use, but since they allowed people to connect from other systems (sending voice over network connections, or VoIP) the caller ID information can be whatever the caller wants... so it means very little.

I got a spam call from Sprint once, years ago, selling their long-distance service. They fraudulently presented the caller ID information as coming from my own number (the one they were calling), and when I challenged this the call centre operator gave some song and dance which was complete bunk, technically. They, like other businesses lacking moral standards, were just picking a number which I was unlikely to block. I told them I would never buy anything from a company which behaved that way, and I never have paid Sprint for anything.

On my office phone, most spam calls claim to originate from the same exchange, but they're coming from somewhere else. I no longer answer any call in my office which doesn't display a name; I don't answer any call on my mobile which isn't in my contacts list; I rarely answer any call on my home phone which is not in the phone's number list. If Her Royal Highness Queen Elizabeth II calls to invite me to tea at Buckingham Palace, I'll miss it because she's not in my contacts.

What's most annoying is being charged to receive this crap.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote