Oil Changes on the Road - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-26-2018, 01:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Oil Changes on the Road

We’re in the process of planning an extended road trip of about 15,000 Km (9,000 miles) and was wondering what others do about oil changes on the tug for such a long trip. I like to do one about every 5,000 Km and will be doing one just before we leave. That still means I’ll have to do two more while on our trip. Are the “quickie drive in drive out ones” adequate (I’ve never used one) or should I look for a dealership. The “quickie ones” are usually next to a mall or in their parking lot, so will it be OK to drop the trailer in the mall parking lot? I’m curious what the more experienced travelers do. Most of the trip will be in the US.
Old 07-26-2018, 01:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I bought a service plan when I bought my truck from Ford 4 for about $2,500. This includes all oil changes, wiper blades, hoses, brakes, tire rotation, fluids, and so on for the first hundred thousand kilometres. It is good anywhere in Canada or the US, and I have used it twice now in the states. Well worth it in my mind.

If you don't have a plan like this I am sure any service center would take you in and take care of you.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 02:01 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I took advantage of campsites that were close to medium size towns. If I had to do laundry or get groceries, I’d get the oil changed. One “speedy type” place even said I could’ve driven thru with the trailer attached! If you take advantage of the deluxe oil change, they’ll check all fluids, check tires and even vacuum out the car or truck!
Old 07-26-2018, 02:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA, 2022 F150 2.7EB
We as well paid for the service plan to 100,000 km and have used it in ON and GA as well as at the dealer where we bought the truck. Thanks to this thread I am reminded to call for an oil change here in Thunder Bay for next week.
emers382 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 02:06 PM   #5

Trailer: 2017 Rpod 182G
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
We’re in the process of planning an extended road trip of about 15,000 Km (9,000 miles) and was wondering what others do about oil changes on the tug for such a long trip. I like to do one about every 5,000 Km and will be doing one just before we leave. That still means I’ll have to do two more while on our trip. Are the “quickie drive in drive out ones” adequate (I’ve never used one) or should I look for a dealership. The “quickie ones” are usually next to a mall or in their parking lot, so will it be OK to drop the trailer in the mall parking lot? I’m curious what the more experienced travelers do. Most of the trip will be in the US.
If under warranty, as we are and free, as we are, associated dealerships only. If not, keep the receipt as proof of maintenance. Billy-Bob's on the corner may have a great price, but...

Ours is every 10K miles (whatever that equates in Km..)
olddawgsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 02:25 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Last time I went to a fast lube shop, the kid down in the pit stripped the nut for the oil drain and they couldn't get it out or change the oil. Had to take the Subaru to the dealer to get a new drain and oil change.
Old 07-26-2018, 02:46 PM   #7

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
I've done both, dealer and a speedy place. The dealer took no appointments, so I sat there for 90 minutes, in Phoenix. Due to that experience this last winter in Cottonwood I read reviews for a few nearby Speedy joints and picked the best sounding one. Worked fine, cost lots less, and only took 15 min. FWIW, I felt safer using the dealer as I felt I'd get a better job. In reality it made no difference.

It's only an oil change.

I did check later that day for leaks.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:01 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
My Tacoma came with 25K worth of tire rotation & oil changes. After that I kept going to the dealer. While I did do a few oil changes with Quite Lube types with the RAV4, I tend to go to the dealers, even on the road.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:20 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
If you go full synthetic you maybe be able to stretch it to 10K intervals....but you have to stay with that and not go back to a blend.
http://www.chicagotribune.com/classi...516-story.html
Mobil ! advertises 15K or one yer interval @ $20/quart...
Old 07-26-2018, 03:27 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunrisetrucker View Post
I went to a garage once on our long trip and waited forever! Next time I went to Walmart and got a cheap drain pan, a piece of carboard(for drips) and the oil and filter. They have to take the old oil and filter and we stayed in the parking lot for the night...so it was an early evening project. I think I put the oil in an old wiper fluid bottle that was clean. My Toyota Tundra has an element filter in a permanent cannister and synthetic oil...almost 8 quarts so no more self oil changes for me! Quick oil change places can be ok but be careful, I have heard too many horror stories from stripped drain plugs to leaving the plastic on the oil filter. Find a good garage where you will be a few days and make an appointment....usually they can get travelers in pretty quickly.
Ian and Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:39 PM   #11

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We use Mobil 1 in TV and usually go 10-12K miles on changes. Haven't needed to change on road to date.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:40 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
Quickies

We have a 2004 Titan (V8 ) and have never had the oil changed anywhere but at quickie changes. 250K+ miles and the truck pulls our 19 ft like it is not there, except on steep grades.- we notice it, but the truck is not particularly labored.
Pupfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 03:41 PM   #13

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
I usually go to a Jiffy or Speedy. In Canada (Saskatoon) they let me through with the trailer hooked.
Old 07-26-2018, 03:46 PM   #14
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
if I was going on a really long road trip, I might just consider tossing my oil extraction sucker into the truck, along with a few cartons of gallon jugs of Chevron Delos from Costco... this makes a quick job of an oil change, just drop the hose in the dip stick tube, and pump up a vacuum, and SLURRRRRP, all the oil goes into the 2 gallon reservoir, after sucking the engine dry, swap the oil filter, and pour in fresh oil, then dump the oil sucker's canister at a nearby oil recycler...

(eek, the F250 7.3 turbodiesel will require 2 passes, it takes 15 quarts !).
Attached Thumbnails
31sZE3xXzYL[1].jpg  
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:05 PM   #15

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
I've done both, dealer and a speedy place. The dealer took no appointments, so I sat there for 90 minutes, in Phoenix. Due to that experience this last winter in Cottonwood I read reviews for a few nearby Speedy joints and picked the best sounding one. Worked fine, cost lots less, and only took 15 min. FWIW, I felt safer using the dealer as I felt I'd get a better job. In reality it made no difference.

It's only an oil change.

I did check later that day for leaks.

With the Ford 2.7 Ecoboost using a "Quickie Lube" could lead to problems because they only allow 15 mins to do an oil change. That's how long you have to wait for the oil in the engine to drain into the pan at normal operating temperature, after shutting off the engine, before opening the drain plug. Plus, the only way it will drain properly after waiting the 15 minutes is by removing the oil filter prior to draining. Then, the engine doesn't use a spin on filter but a cartridge filter in a housing which uses an "O" ring that needs to be changed each time.

After installing new oil you have to bring the engine up to normal operating temperature and then wait another 15 minutes after shutting it off before checking the oil level otherwise you will get a false low oil level.

I have a feeling that these "Jiffy" guys would rush this procedure and you would either end up with an overfilled engine or one that's filled to the right level with only half of the engine oil being new.

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:36 PM   #16

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Given they tend to hire 16-year-old boys to do oil changes, I suspect you are absolutely correct Barry.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:46 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 17b "Shelly"
Thanks for all the replies. My tug is a 2016 Canyon with 35,000km on it so past the free warranty oil changes. And since it doesn't have the Ford 2.7 turbo that won't be a problem. Most dealers usually have a shuttle service that will take you to near by mall or restaurant so the waiting may not be an issue. The quickie in and out is tempting but I'll sure want to inspect their work.
I guess I'll just "play it by ear" when the time comes .thanks again.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:47 PM   #18

I made the mistake of taking my 2006 Jeep Liberty CRD to a jiffy lube once. When I took it to my dealer the following oil change I was given the bad news, the oil plug was stripped. I contacted the oil place and 3 weeks later, a rental car and $2800 claim was paid by the Jiffy place, I had a new aluminum pan in my Jeep.
Old 07-26-2018, 04:49 PM   #19

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by barry View Post
With the Ford 2.7 Ecoboost using a "Quickie Lube" could lead to problems because they only allow 15 mins to do an oil change. That's how long you have to wait for the oil in the engine to drain into the pan at normal operating temperature, after shutting off the engine, before opening the drain plug. Plus, the only way it will drain properly after waiting the 15 minutes is by removing the oil filter prior to draining. Then, the engine doesn't use a spin on filter but a cartridge filter in a housing which uses an "O" ring that needs to be changed each time.

After installing new oil you have to bring the engine up to normal operating temperature and then wait another 15 minutes after shutting it off before checking the oil level otherwise you will get a false low oil level.

I have a feeling that these "Jiffy" guys would rush this procedure and you would either end up with an overfilled engine or one that's filled to the right level with only half of the engine oil being new.

Barry
Hi: barry... That sound quite like the procedure to change the oil in my Ram 3 L. V6 Eco D. It takes 10 L. of synthetic 5W 40 oil and the new filter cartridge and O ring. No time for that in a Jiffy Lube. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2018, 04:52 PM   #20

My diesel Jeep Liberty cost me around $200 per oil change, I'd get home and check the oil, it was already black........that is normal I'm told.