Ouch! Someone backed into me! - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-01-2017, 10:34 PM   #41

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
... A boat repair shop seems much more likely to be experienced in this type of repair than an autobody shop.
Unless you happen to have a reputable Corvette body shop in your neck of Massachusetts. Corvette body shops can be pricey unless you have a friend who knows a guy who heard of a fellow who is related to a gentleman who owes a favor to.... never mind, just go to a boat repair shop.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2017, 11:23 PM   #42
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
.... never mind, just go to a boat repair shop.
Yep. I watched a fellow at a boat repair shop fix a big crack and hole on the port side of a ski boat. He used some kind of cellophane on the surface after he'd applied fiberglass patches/resin and a fancy gelcoat. Once he peeled the cellophane away, the repair was completely invisible. I was impressed since I've never done fiberglass repair and wouldn't know where to start.
Old 10-02-2017, 01:10 PM   #43

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Unless you happen to have a reputable Corvette body shop in your neck of Massachusetts...
I'm sure a good shop which does 'Vettes will do a great job on the fiberglass; however, Corvettes are painted - they don't have to match a gelcoat finish.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 04:36 PM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yep. I watched a fellow at a boat repair shop fix a big crack and hole on the port side of a ski boat. He used some kind of cellophane on the surface after he'd applied fiberglass patches/resin and a fancy gelcoat. Once he peeled the cellophane away, the repair was completely invisible. I was impressed since I've never done fiberglass repair and wouldn't know where to start.
Yup, good old cellofinishing. It's been around since the very early days of f.g. It got its' start when folks building a plywood boat would f.g. the exterior. The process seems to have died out over the years. I've mentioned it several times when folks are trying to do a chip repair. It's perfect for that. Properly done it's peel off the plastic (old fashioned overhead projector acetate sheets are perfect) and it's done. Worst case a small amount of wet sanding and polishing are required.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 05:12 PM   #45

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Yup, good old cellofinishing. It's been around since the very early days of f.g. It got its' start when folks building a plywood boat would f.g. the exterior. The process seems to have died out over the years. I've mentioned it several times when folks are trying to do a chip repair. It's perfect for that. Properly done it's peel off the plastic (old fashioned overhead projector acetate sheets are perfect) and it's done. Worst case a small amount of wet sanding and polishing are required.

Ron
Haven't tried it yet, but I've heard wax paper will work for this as well.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:31 PM   #46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg A View Post
Haven't tried it yet, but I've heard wax paper will work for this as well.
I'd use a piece of heavy poly sheet rather than wax paper. The weight used for a vapor barrier. Wax paper would work on something like a 1/4" chip but for larger or longer the slightly more firm, but still flexible, poly would be best. And, as I said, something like acetate sheet is perfect for wham, bam done.

Ron
Old 11-02-2017, 11:01 AM   #47

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA "Wild Thing"
Wild Thing Repair Complete

Wild Thing has been repaired by a local boat shop, Hazard Marine, in Webster, MA. Reace sent paint, taillight and license plate light so the repair was accomplished less than a week after I dropped her off. Her back end looks new again! Well...at least the area they repaired looks new...The rest of her still needs a bath! There was a tiny nick in the belly band that I opted to leave. Just a scuff really and I think she needed at least one battle scar from her cross-country trip, plus I didn't want to wait for the part, I'm anxious to get packing for the winter trip to Arizona/New Mexico!
Attached Thumbnails
20171101_123635.jpg  
Sisababe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:09 AM   #48

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Great to see it all worked out good for you, Sarah. And I completely agree the trailer needs to keep at least one wee battle scar.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:31 AM   #49

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:

Ron
Oh man, you just made me start itching remembering helping my dad fiberglass the whole bottom of his wood hulled houseboat as a kid. We used wax paper and a photo roller. He thought it quite funny that I worked in shorts, no shirt and then took a nice hot shower when I got home...

Sarah your trailer repair looks perfect!

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 11:37 AM   #50

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
Gotta love fiberglass trailers, looks like new!
Congrats
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 12:23 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisababe View Post
I'm anxious to get packing for the winter trip to Arizona/New Mexico!
Nicely done. Going to be at Quartzsite?

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Oh man, you just made me start itching remembering helping my dad fiberglass the whole bottom of his wood hulled houseboat
He thought it quite funny that I worked in shorts, no shirt and then took a nice hot shower when I got home...
Working in f. g. shops helped pay for university.
I think I was the only guy in the place that had a proper respirator (bought by myself) and gloves. As the old timers would say, "skins cheaper" Folks were a lot more casual about safety in the old days.

Ron
Old 11-02-2017, 05:36 PM   #52

Quote:
Nicely done. Going to be at Quartzsite?

Ron
I'm thinking about it. It looks like quite a gathering. Do you have any advice for a first-time attendee?
Old 11-02-2017, 06:00 PM   #53

Depends on time considerations. If you want to sample the best of the Quartzsite experience arriving in time for the main weekend, Feb. 9th to the 11th would be best. That's when there's planned events and the most chance to socialize with fellow forum members. And not the least, a chance to try and elbow me out of my first in line place to sample some of Jon's pie. No wait, that's pies, he's promised two pies this year because he now has an oven in his new trailer.

It's a pretty low key situation. It's free, park where you want. Some like to park up the hill and others like us like to park near where Greg is. That's where registration, events and group campfire and music are. Going into town is an event in itself.

Ron
Old 11-02-2017, 07:07 PM   #54

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Sarah, when I first saw your post when the accident happened really made me sick to my stomach. Glad it worked out in the end and looking like nothing ever happened.

Cheers!
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2017, 09:21 PM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kent View Post
Sarah, when I first saw your post when the accident happened really made me sick to my stomach. Glad it worked out in the end and looking like nothing ever happened.

Cheers!
Thanks Kent. It sure made my stomach roll too! I'm glad to have it behind me...(pun intended) [emoji6]

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
Old 11-02-2017, 09:22 PM   #56

Quote:
Depends on time considerations. If you want to sample the best of the Quartzsite experience arriving in time for the main weekend, Feb. 9th to the 11th would be best. That's when there's planned events and the most chance to socialize with fellow forum members. And not the least, a chance to try and elbow me out of my first in line place to sample some of Jon's pie. No wait, that's pies, he's promised two pies this year because he now has an oven in his new trailer.

It's a pretty low key situation. It's free, park where you want. Some like to park up the hill and others like us like to park near where Greg is. That's where registration, events and group campfire and music are. Going into town is an event in itself.

Ron
Thanks so much Ron. I hope to see you there!

Old 11-02-2017, 09:22 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Great to see it all worked out good for you, Sarah. And I completely agree the trailer needs to keep at least one wee battle scar.
Thanks Jim!