Outdoor Room - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-14-2016, 08:36 AM   #1

Trailer: 21 on Feb 28, 2017 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Outdoor Room

Never had a trailer so we are unfamiliar with the routine. I've noticed most people have some kind of rug that they put in the area that would be under the awning to serve as a clean floor for their outdoor room. Makes sense. Cleaner than sitting on dirt but it begs the question, what do you do with the rug while in transit? Roll it up and just put it on the floor of the trailer? How do you keep the bottom of the rug clean so it doesn't funkify the inside of the trailer?

stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:45 AM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Ours is a 12x7' Patty O'Mat. Most of these awning mats dry out real fast, as they breathe very well.

We folded ours up and put it in the access hatch under the bed in the 19. Not sure where we will put it in the 5.0TA. I like to keep anything to do with setting up the trailer on the trailer itself, so it is self contained. Plus, I do not like having much of anything ride on the floor inside, as it can be a pain when doing quick overnighters where you don't completely set up camp.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:47 AM   #3

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19'
We have a truck and the rug goes in the back of the truck. It also came with a storage bag so I can't comment on storage in the trailer.

As for cleaning. Sweep the top first. Fold the rug in half and sweep the bottom that now shows up. Keep folding in half and sweeping. This method will clean the bottom while keeping the top clean. (It's an old tent folding trick).
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 08:50 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JStelly View Post
We have a truck and the rug goes in the back of the truck. It also came with a storage bag so I can't comment on storage in the trailer.

As for cleaning. Sweep the top first. Fold the rug in half and sweep the bottom that now shows up. Keep folding in half and sweeping. This method will clean the bottom while keeping the top clean. (It's an old tent folding trick).
Excellent! Thanks.
Old 01-14-2016, 10:05 AM   #5

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
Never thought of sweeping it as it was folded, will have to use that. Anyway, after folding it up we stuff it into the bag you can get for it. We just toss it either in the back of the truck or the floor of the trailer. Everything stays clean as long as it's in the bag. Use a 6x9 from https://www.rvawningmats.com/
Old 01-14-2016, 10:14 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Never thought of sweeping it as it was folded, will have to use that. Anyway, after folding it up we stuff it into the bag you can get for it. We just toss it either in the back of the truck or the floor of the trailer. Everything stays clean as long as it's in the bag. Use a 6x9 from https://www.rvawningmats.com/
Thanks for the link.
Old 01-14-2016, 11:35 AM   #7
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
30% discount on their Facebook page.........

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 01:49 PM   #8

Trailer: Escape 19', 2014
For those that have the Patty O'Mat or the RVAwning mat, are these mats lights and fairly flexible? Our daughters bought us a mat for our trailer and, while we appreciate their thoughtfulness, the mat is heavy, takes two of us to roll it up and must be stored in the back of our truck. Thus, we're looking for something a little less bulky and easier to handle.

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 02:46 PM   #9

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2005 Toyota Sienna
I got some of varying sizes at IKEA. Depending on where I'm going, the destination dictates the size(s) I use. They are usually seasonal and reasonable (100% polysomething) . I fold, then roll them up and put them in plastic bags (garbage), and have them in my outdoor wastebasket which is tall and bungeed to the table leg in the small dinette area. I either sweep them first or just wrap them as the case may be.
Walmart usually has some in their rv section too , for less than Camping World.
I just looked at IKEA's website and did not see anything yet for this year.
I also have a final shoe cleaning spot: a small doormat that sits on the outdoor mat to keep the outside outside as much as possible.
Old 01-14-2016, 03:44 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
Whatever you do, don't buy indoor/outdoor fake grass with the rubber backing. My buddy did and after a rain storm it took two of us to haul it up onto the picnic table so it would drain. It weighed a ton and took forever to dry.

I picked up this mat at Osoyoos Home Hardware for about $50. It has no backing so it doesn't trap dirt or moisture and it weighs little. We just each take an end and give it a shake.

I like it because it matches the dirt.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mat.jpg (371.2 KB, 18 views)

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote