Outland Firebowl deluxe - quick connect - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2015, 06:48 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Dave, I did the same with my Campfire in a Can and my Weber Q100. Easy to do but I had to order the QC fittings on line. I also made up a regulator with a female QC so that I could run the grill or the grill from a smaller tank I carry in the back of the truck. It provides a degree of versatility, especially if I want to use the grill someplace other than the campsite.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:59 PM   #22

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I also made up a regulator with a female QC so that I could run the grill or the grill from a smaller tank I carry in the back of the truck.
I did the same in my conversion of my Porta Chef grill to a low-pressure quick-connect.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:21 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Larry, you linked to Walmart, and they don't show one at Crappy Tire. Are you certain it was there you saw it?
And I just slide by Canadian Tire and bought it. However, it was 119.99 not 99.99.
As a proud Canadian I prefer Crappy Tire to Wallyworld.

Canadians still own Canadian Tire don't we?
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 07:39 PM   #24

Quote:
Wish I could find low pressures fittings here in Central Florida. Most RV supply places, including Camping World only have HP fittings...
This certainly seems to vary by location. Around here, I've never seen high-pressure quick-connect fittings in an RV store. I guess the key is to read the package, but that might not always be clear.

The only quick-connect I see around here is the Fairview Gas-Flo QD for RVs with shutoff; the same fittings are on the Fairview RVQD extensions (or similar of another brand). The Fairview website doesn't show the packaging or even say low-pressure, but I'm pretty sure the retail packaging does specify low pressure.
Old 08-23-2015, 01:37 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post

Me too.

And, I think so.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 04:10 AM   #26

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
My little gas campfire hooks right up to a tank didnt need to change anything
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:38 AM   #27

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
And I just slide by Canadian Tire and bought it. However, it was 119.99 not 99.99.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Me too.

And, I think so.
What's the matter here? Is this a pride thing or do you just not like all the "high quality" Chinese made products that you can count on to last a lifetime; well, at least the lifetime of a mosquito.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:05 AM   #28

Quote:
What's the matter here? Is this a pride thing or do you just not like all the "high quality" Chinese made products that you can count on to last a lifetime; well, at least the lifetime of a mosquito.
Actually, the Chinese have every capability of making high quality products, and I have bought quite a few of them. They get their bad name on products driven by the wants of North Americans, who want to buy products really cheap. They give us what we ask for. If there was not the market for these cheap products, they would not even be on the shelves. You can be certain, if there was more call for better quality stuff, with a higher profit margin for them, they would certainly produce it for us.

This is why for the most part, I am willing to suck up the cost of good quality products, many made in North America, as it really bugs me to use the cheaper products, and have to replace them fairly often. I learned quickly through work the value in more expensive, good quality tools, ones that perform better, are easier to use, and last a long, long time. Sure, there are times I buy that cheap one time use tool, and often it doesn't even do the job.

Back on the topic of the Outland Firebowl, I find it strange that CT does not even have it listed on their site, when they have it in stock, when WAY more commonly you see things listed on their site, that are not in stock.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-23-2015, 08:38 AM   #29

Don't disagree with you at all, Jim. But knowing how Walmart specs products it sells, high quality Chineses products will never be available there. I, too, avoid buying much of anything there. Funny, I spent a good amount of time north of the border earlier this summer. I wanted to go into a CT but never did. Went to Lee Valley, however. Reminded me of Brookstone in the 70s before they went trashy.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:51 AM   #30

Quite the difference in quality from Walmart (mostly low) to CT (low to mid-range) to Lee Valley (mostly high). I spend lots of money at Lee Valley.
Old 08-23-2015, 02:39 PM   #31

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Buying Quality

Over the years, experience has taught me to closely examine what I am buying and to analyze what I see as probable failure points. In addition to that, I have always been able to "save up" to buy what I thought best suited my needs. I have always considered myself pretty easy on things except for clothes which I am hard on, even good ones. For the past 20 years I've had the attitude that if I am buying tools, I say to myself, shouldn't have to buy another one of these. We had a department store that was local and their motto was "quality is economy" . I found that to be true and continue to practice it whenever possible. I have on occasion bought a styrofoam cooler for a sandbar suare' knowing I'll get drunk and fall down and destroy it but oh well, that's the way it goes.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 03:24 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
My little gas campfire hooks right up to a tank didnt need to change anything
That would be true of almost any firebowl. The potential changes to the appliance being discussed are to allow it to connect to the trailer's low-pressure outlet. Changes to the plumbing at the tanks are discussed as an alternative which allows the appliance to connect to a tank without having a separate tank for the campfire.

This brings up another option, which is to just disconnect the spare tank from the trailer's regulator and connect the firebowl there, without removing the tank... that would likely need an extension hose to reach a suitable firebowl location.
Old 08-23-2015, 06:39 PM   #33

I just use a small tank I bring along for my campfire in a can
Old 08-23-2015, 06:56 PM   #34

Auxiliary propane tank

I have looked at both the 5 and 11 lb tanks as an independent option for both the Weber and the campfire as well as my ice house heater but haven't parted with the $ as I feel they are kind of overpriced. I have 6 20 lb cylinders here at home so it's hard to justify getting another one of any size. Maybe as they code date out and I don't get them recertified I will see my way to a small tank. Always checking them garage sales too. Might find one. I do get a little tired of paying for the one pounders but they are convenient. Some people refill these with an adapter but that scares me a little so I don't do that.
Dave
Old 08-23-2015, 06:59 PM   #35

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Just bite the bullet and get a small tank. Sure it hurts, but not as much as buying the 1 lbs.
Old 08-23-2015, 07:55 PM   #36

I bought my little tank at Amazon it wasn't too bad but very expensive at trailer stores
Old 08-23-2015, 07:58 PM   #37

If one does not want to go the low pressure connect route, why not just use a tee right off the trailers propane bottle. The hose is much easier to stow, and can be used for the stove or other things too.

I like to KIS.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:10 PM   #38

I will admit the 5 pound tank is a bit pricey, but I bought one and am glad that I did. I don't like carrying the 20 pounders around, and the 5 pound tank is easy to carry, even when full. Less tippy than a disposable so combined with its light weight, it is very convenient. And filling it costs less than a single 1 pound disposable. It quickly pays for itself. I've had mine for less than a year, but it is one thing that I brought with me from Florida to BC when I took delivery. Used it all the way home.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:40 PM   #39

An extra tank is okay for someone towing with a pickup truck, but for anyone else it means finding a place for another tank on the outside of the trailer. Either way, in places where small propane tanks are filled for a fixed price for a full tank, it will be expensive to fill (although still much better than one-pound disposable cylinders). It is the simplest way to go, if you have a place to carry it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
I bought my little tank at Amazon it wasn't too bad but very expensive at trailer stores
The prices on Amazon.com (for U.S. purchasers) are okay - although they don't look great - but Amazon.ca prices are so high that I could buy the same tank at full retail price and have FedEx bring it to me from the store and still save money.

Amazon.ca:
Canadian Tire:
Old 08-23-2015, 08:47 PM   #40

Small tanks

Geez I get a little asthma when I open my wallet and the moths stir up all that dust when they fly out but I suppose I should pull the trigger, and check Amazon too. Propane for the house here in Iowa is currently $.99 per gallon. I don't use much with the geothermal now, just the fireplace, kitchen range and hot water heater. Thanks
Dave