Outland Firebowl deluxe - quick connect - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-23-2015, 08:50 PM   #41

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
If one does not want to go the low pressure connect route, why not just use a tee right off the trailers propane bottle. The hose is much easier to stow, and can be used for the stove or other things too.
True, and that's what I use.

On the other hand, Larry asked specifically about using the quick-connect in the first post, and mentioned that he was considering a connection at the tanks in post #7... that option is already in the discussion.

Example: Brass Tee w/3 Ports and 12' Hose
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 08:59 PM   #42

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21' pulled with 2014 Silverado Crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
If one does not want to go the low pressure connect route, why not just use a tee right off the trailers propane bottle. The hose is much easier to stow, and can be used for the stove or other things too.

I like to KIS.
I agree. Works great. Takes maybe one minute to screw on hose. Works without fussing with any regulators.

Amazon.com: Camco 59133 Brass 90 Tee with 3 ports: Automotive

"Isn't it amazing how much stuff we get done the day before vacation?"
Zig Ziglar
skiman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 10:44 PM   #43

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
thanks for all this information. I continue to read every post with interest.
I'm asking Liz to read the entire thread and make a final decision.

FYI - I was orientated to use the quick connect because we paid for it as an option. And I don't like the idea of dragging along another propane tank when we already have two.
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:29 AM   #44

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
An extra tank is okay for someone towing with a pickup truck, but for anyone else it means finding a place for another tank on the outside of the trailer. Either way, in places where small propane tanks are filled for a fixed price for a full tank, it will be expensive to fill (although still much better than one-pound disposable cylinders). It is the simplest way to go, if you have a place to carry it.
Got that right Brian. I transport mine inside a 5 gallon bucket with a screw top lid purchased at Lowe's, though when I went to both Lowe's and HD in Canada, did not see the screw top lids. Not sure if they are sold in Canada. Holes drilled in the bottom of the bucket for venting. It does make it easier if the TV is a truck. But I like the tanks size, it's weight, and the $ savings (cost me @ $3 to fill it last time, and that was before propane prices dropped) that I would find a way to bring it along if I didn't have a truck. About the only thing I use the disposables for now is the Coleman lantern, and I do not use that often. Last time was maybe 2 years ago.
Old 08-24-2015, 05:23 PM   #45

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
i carry my little one in my trailer take it out when i get to the camp site. i like it because it light.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2015, 06:17 PM   #46

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Take note that BC Ferry has a restriction on the number of propane tanks you can have, so when asked, I say I have two. I do have two, on the tongue, and a 10 lb. inside the trailer. Not sure what they would do if you said you had a half dozen one pounders.
Old 08-24-2015, 11:11 PM   #47

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I transport mine inside a 5 gallon bucket with a screw top lid purchased at Lowe's, though when I went to both Lowe's and HD in Canada, did not see the screw top lids. Not sure if they are sold in Canada. Holes drilled in the bottom of the bucket for venting.
The only place I've seen the screwtop lids is at the local canoe place. We bought them for multi day canoe camping trips.

Gamma Seal Lids - Western Canoeing & Kayaking

They are very very good, and you can sit on them as well.
I think they are 5 gallon..
Old 08-25-2015, 01:26 AM   #48

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Some feed stores have them pricy for a bucket but they are nice
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2015, 07:40 PM   #49

Trailer: 2014 19' Named Bailey
Well, well, what fortuitous timing I have! I also have the outlander fire pit and want to use Bailey's quick connect! I was just gonna swap out the fireball hose with the one ETI provided! And that sounds like it would work! I got lost reading all 5 pages of posts, so correct me if I got that wrong. I have the correct thread tape for gas - after insisting to several Home Depot workers that such a thing exists and I did not want regular teflon tape and yes, I know I am a female and I know what I am talking about.... So my assumption is that the tanks have the regulator needed and removing the fire pit hose regulator is fine. Thanks for the timely thread!!
Kris
FishBioGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2015, 09:55 PM   #50

Trailer: 2016 19 / Toyota 4Runner 2019
Outland firebowl

Works fine off the exterior propane connection. No messing with fittings everything is the right size.
Attached Thumbnails
outland.jpg  
Old 08-26-2015, 10:05 PM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughharden View Post
Works fine off the exterior propane connection. No messing with fittings everything is the right size.
I assume that you bought a hose with a 3/8" female flare fitting on the end of it, so it screwed on in place of the original hose and regulator. That's certainly a valid option and good if you want the hose to stay attached to the firebowl. Adding another quick-connect on the firebowl instead allows use of a removable quick-connect extension hose.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:14 PM   #52

Quote:
I assume that you bought a hose with a 3/8" female flare fitting on the end of it, so it screwed on in place of the original hose and regulator. That's certainly a valid option and good if you want the hose to stay attached to the firebowl. Adding another quick-connect on the firebowl instead allows use of a removable quick-connect extension hose.
I didn't buy anything. I removed the hose and regulator that was supplied with the firepit. Then I screwed the flare fitting end of the ETI supplied hose from the exterior propane outlet onto the outland firebowl. No fittings were added. And no Teflon tape required for flare fittings.
Old 08-26-2015, 10:35 PM   #53

Quote:
I didn't buy anything. I removed the hose and regulator that was supplied with the firepit. Then I screwed the flare fitting end of the ETI supplied hose from the exterior propane outlet onto the outland firebowl. No fittings were added. And no Teflon tape required for flare fittings.
I couldn't resist trying it directly off the propane tank with the supplied hose and regulator. The flame is much bigger. But it would be an extreme gas hog on full flame. And quite noisy.
Old 08-26-2015, 11:10 PM   #54

Quote:
I didn't buy anything. I removed the hose and regulator that was supplied with the firepit. Then I screwed the flare fitting end of the ETI supplied hose from the exterior propane outlet onto the outland firebowl. No fittings were added.
Sorry for the confusion... I forgot that the hose came with the trailer. This is exactly what I was describing, other than paying for the hose.

Quote:
And no Teflon tape required for flare fittings.
Right!
In fact, thread tape is not just not required, it is not allowed.
Old 08-27-2015, 05:42 AM   #55

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Adding another quick-connect on the firebowl instead allows use of a removable quick-connect extension hose.
I personally am a big fan of using a male QD fitting on the appliance. I have two 10-foot hoses and have had times that I wanted/needed to use them in tandem. By using the QD fittings, it doesn't restrict hose use to one appliance. Allows more flexibility in choosing location of grill and fire pit if you can use either one or two hoses. That's what works for me, but maybe not for others.
Old 08-28-2015, 04:39 PM   #56

Quote:
Liz and I followed the method that Hugh uses! And it works - nothing extra to buy. No fussing. We did an at home test on our driveway and nothing blew up!

This is the same method that I use to attach our little barbecue to the quick connect hose supplied to us by ETI.

Thanks Hugh
Attached Thumbnails
imageaa.jpg  
Old 08-28-2015, 04:47 PM   #57

A close up picture
Attached Thumbnails
imagea.jpg  
Old 08-28-2015, 06:11 PM   #58

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Need to keep in mind fuel usage when burning these. If you had it on high, 60k btu, you'd drain a 20 lb propane tank in about 7 hours.

Granted we only burn it ours an hour or so, and then at something more like 50%.
Old 08-28-2015, 07:18 PM   #59

Yes they are fuel hogs. But they will use less fuel through the ETI supplied hose because the supply pressure is less once it gets to the end of that hose and through all the fittings. I tried it both ways off a 20lb tank with the hose that came with the unit and off the ETI external propane hose. The flame on maximum setting through the ETI hose was probably half of the bottle supplied flame at full. Not a bad thing since it is very noisy off the tank on full flame.
Old 02-26-2018, 08:24 PM   #60

Trailer: 2013 EggCamper
I just did this mod. Bought an Outland Cypress Firebowl. It works great out of the box hooked to bottle with stock hose/reg.

But I just ordered (2) hoses from Amazon to run 12' each. One hose has a 3/8 female flare on one end and will thread to the bowl permanently and it has a male 1/4" qc on other end. The next hose is just another 12' extension with 1/4 male qc on one end and 1/4 female qc on other end. Then the trailer has a low pressure female qc.

Looking forward to the hoses coming in - and looking forward to trying out the bowl with the hoses!
Joe & Cherie is offline   Reply With Quote