Outland Firebowl deluxe - quick connect - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-22-2015, 12:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Outland Firebowl deluxe - quick connect

I saw Outland Firebowl Deluxe at Canadian Tire on sale yesterday and almost bought it on impulse given all the fire bans. They wanted100.oo.

But will it work on the quick connect or will I have problems with the regulator?

It seems to be getting decent reviews Outland Firebowl Deluxe | Walmart.ca

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 12:58 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
I saw Outland Firebowl Deluxe at Canadian Tire on sale yesterday and almost bought it on impulse given all the fire bans. They wanted100.oo.

But will it work on the quick connect or will I have problems with the regulator?

It seems to be getting decent reviews Outland Firebowl Deluxe | Walmart.ca

Larry
I have been using mine with the Escape quick connect for 2-1/2 years with no problems. Just detached the supplied regulator from the firebowl and added a long propane line with quick connect fittings.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 01:00 PM   #3

Looks like I have to do a bit more reading

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f2...bowl-2351.html

I'm guessing I'll have to do some modifying but I don't like playing with propane equipment
Old 08-22-2015, 01:01 PM   #4

Thanks Dave maybe I'll risk doing it myself

Would the quick connect hose I got from ETI attach to the bowl once I take off the regulator?
Old 08-22-2015, 02:06 PM   #5

I'm doing some searches for quick connect. FYI. be sure to use propane quick connect

Quick connect by itself is an altogether different thing
Old 08-22-2015, 02:25 PM   #6
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Larry, the reason it works for Dave is that he took off the low pressure regulator on the firebowl and connected it to the quick connect line coming from the trailer. That line is already low pressure, because of the regulator at the tanks. If you had both regulators in the line, the flame would be too low, or not light properly at all. The only issue doing it that way is in regulating the flame height without a regulator at the bowl. I'd probably rig up a line at the tanks that bypasses the tank regulator and supplies the propane at high pressure, and then leave the low pressure regulator on the bowl.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:42 PM   #7

Thanks, I think I'm figuring this out. I like the idea of simplicity gfor sure I don't want to haul around another propane tank).

If I stay with the quick connect hose off the trailer. I need to get adaptor pieces as wall as some kind of off/on switch at the bowl.

If I go to the propane tanks on the trailer is have to play with the set up ETI installed. I like the little switch moving from an empty tanker the full tank. But the upside would be not needing to mess with the bowl regulator (and the bowl's on/off flow).

I'm a bit leary of messing around with the propane tanks on the trailer.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:12 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
The nice thing about the fire bowl is that it comes with separate regulators and flame control valve. So when you take off the regulator and replace with a propane hose with quick connects (to be attached to your Escapes exterior quick connect propane fitting), you still have the flame control valve in place to control your fire size.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 03:17 PM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
If I stay with the quick connect hose off the trailer. I need to get adaptor pieces as wall as some kind of off/on switch at the bowl.
Based on the manufacturer's video page, the regulator that you would eliminate is on the tank end of the hose, so you would leave the control (mounted directly on the firebowl) alone, so you would still have on-off control there. The low-pressure quick-connect fitting normally has a shutoff valve built into it as well.

The conversion would look just like the first part of what I did with my Porta Chef grill, but instead of adding stuff to the original hose like I did, you would just buy a long ready-made quick-connect hose and use it.

Quote:
If I go to the propane tanks on the trailer is have to play with the set up ETI installed. I like the little switch moving from an empty tanker the full tank. But the upside would be not needing to mess with the bowl regulator (and the bowl's on/off flow).

I'm a bit leary of messing around with the propane tanks on the trailer.
If you don't mind not having that auto-changeover feature for the firebowl, you just install a ready-made tee fitting between one of the tanks and the hose. This means no tools, no changing anything Escape put together, and no more messing with the tanks than you do to remove a tank for filling and replace it. The trailer is not affected by adding the tee (it still switches between tanks, for instance).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 04:00 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Please keep in mind when converting any appliance to work with the trailers low pressure system you must use low pressure fittings. LP and HP QD fittings look the same, but internally they are not compatible. The HP male fitting has a tiny oriface, the LP does not. And always use Teflon tape or pipe compound when making connections, unless the connection is a flare fitting.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:20 PM   #11

Trailer: 2008 17B Escape
We bought a small propane tank for our fire pit (easy tol eave both pieces at home when we aren't on that kind of a camping trip)and that enables us to move it wherever we want doesn't have to be close to the trailer.
We use the quick connect for our Weber BBQ...

And--for some stupid reason if you do run out of propane in your two large tanks you have the small one to continue cooking supper while the one who said they were full goes to get them filled---thank heavens we weren't all that far from town!!!
Old 08-22-2015, 05:01 PM   #12

Thanks for all the comments. We'll slide by Canada tire, pick up up a fire bowl and take it from there. We'll probably work it with the quick connect so we can use it at home during the fall/winter. We have quick connect for our home bbcue.

FYI. I am obviously not much of a handi-person and will ensure that Liz supervises me (she is the fixer person not me). But my ego pushes me to add that in other areas of my life there are people around who consider me quite smart. The whole trailering thing is my effort to expand my horizons.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:04 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Larry, you linked to Walmart, and they don't show one at Crappy Tire. Are you certain it was there you saw it?
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2015, 05:10 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Please keep in mind when converting any appliance to work with the trailers low pressure system you must use low pressure fittings. LP and HP QD fittings look the same, but internally they are not compatible. The HP male fitting has a tiny oriface, the LP does not. And always use Teflon tape or pipe compound when making connections, unless the connection is a flare fitting.
All good points.
Fortunately, at least in stores around here, only low-pressure quick-connect fittings can be readily found, and they are clearly identified. Only the quick-connect is specifically low-pressure; all the other bits of brass are the same whether your're doing high-pressure or low-pressure propane plumbing.

I would say "Always use thread seal tape or compound when making tapered pipe thread connections." There are many style of pipe connections, and none use sealant other than tapered pipe threads.

Hints:
  • look for "thread seal tape" or "plumber's tape", not Teflon tape, because this tape is not made by the owner of the trademark and thus never branded Teflon™
  • thread seal tape comes in different thicknesses; for propane fittings the suitable type is better (including thicker) than what is usually used for water pipes - this "gas tape" is usually yellow
Old 08-22-2015, 05:26 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Larry, you linked to Walmart, and they don't show one at Crappy Tire.
I don't see the Outland on the Canadian Tire website, but they do have an equivalent which is $100 at the regular price: For Living Portable Gas Firebowl
Also, in-store stock and online stock are significantly different at many stores - I don't know whether this applies to Canadian Tire.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:30 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Larry, you linked to Walmart, and they don't show one at Crappy Tire. Are you certain it was there you saw it?
Yep Canadian Tire in Maple Ridge. Yesterday there was quite a stack of them.

However not listed in their flyer.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:31 PM   #17

Quote:
We'll probably work it with the quick connect so we can use it at home during the fall/winter. We have quick connect for our home bbcue.
Do you have a propane quick connection for the home barbecue (which is unusual), or a natural gas quick connection (which is reasonably common)? The two are not interchangeable.
Old 08-22-2015, 05:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Do you have a propane quick connection for the home barbecue (which is unusual), or a natural gas quick connection (which is reasonably common)? The two are not interchangeable.
Good to know. At home we have natural gas. Oops
Old 08-22-2015, 06:07 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
All good points.
Fortunately, at least in stores around here, only low-pressure quick-connect fittings can be readily found, and they are clearly identified. Only the quick-connect is specifically low-pressure; all the other bits of brass are the same whether your're doing high-pressure or low-pressure propane plumbing.
Wish I could find low pressures fittings here in Central Florida. Most RV supply places, including Camping World only have HP fittings. And the worst thing is if you tell the help there is a difference between HP and LP you get a blank stare. So I generally order the LP male and female connectors from Rejas Smokers (Texas) or Amazon. But all the other brass pieces and yellow pipe tape is readily available at Lowe's and Home Depot.
Old 08-22-2015, 06:41 PM   #20

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We have a campfire in a can. I removed the regulator and on/off valve. Then I bought a quick connect fitting at a local Home Depot type place. It was a mr. Propane fitting. It did not fit. I took it back and they credited my card. I then went to the local RV dealer who I had heard lecture very precisely to a customer on low pressure vs high pressure. Told him what I wanted to do and without any further conversation, he sold me a fitting. I put it on my extension hose and it fit the ETI quick connect fitting perfectly. The trailer is equipped with a quarter turn valve ahead of the quick connect. Works great. Uses some propane though at 50,000 Btu output.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote