Outside power pole questions - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-26-2016, 03:36 PM   #1

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Outside power pole questions

This weekend Dirk is doing some work inside the house's power panel so we can eventually run power outside for the trailer. There isn't any outside power outlet right now, but there will be eventually.

He needs to know what sort of plug the trailer will use. 120 or 240? And anything else that I can't remember to ask.

What all does he need to know? We'll eventually dig a ditch for the power and have it connect to a pole that will stick out of the ground that the trailer will plug in to. Not sure if I explained that properly, but at least I didn't use the very technical term of "thingie".

Hopefully you folks will know what I'm trying to ask and can provide the correct answers and any tips he might need to know. Thanks!
NW Cat Owner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 03:52 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
It is a 30 amp, 120 volt. I am sure someone will post a picture.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:57 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Ideal would be 30A 120vac, I think they call the receptacle for Escapes standard 3 pin 30A cable connector a TT-30R.

Not needing to run all the appliances at once when at home I opted for 20A and use a 30-20A adapter.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:04 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I installed a 15 amp GFCI, which all outdoor outlets should be, and leave mine plugged in 24/7.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:15 PM   #5

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
This weekend Dirk is doing some work inside the house's power panel so we can eventually run power outside for the trailer. There isn't any outside power outlet right now, but there will be eventually.

He needs to know what sort of plug the trailer will use. 120 or 240? And anything else that I can't remember to ask.

What all does he need to know? We'll eventually dig a ditch for the power and have it connect to a pole that will stick out of the ground that the trailer will plug in to. Not sure if I explained that properly, but at least I didn't use the very technical term of "thingie".

Hopefully you folks will know what I'm trying to ask and can provide the correct answers and any tips he might need to know. Thanks!
You will need a 30 amp , 125 volt single phase circuit
You will need 3 #10 AWG copper conductors 1 Black , 1 White ,
1 green / bare
1 single pole 30 amp circuit breaker ( GFCI breaker is preferred )
1 30 amp -125 VAC receptacle
1 Weather proof deep single gang Bell box
1 Weather proof in use receptacle cover
Underground 10/3 UF cable or 1/2" schedule 40 PVC conduit with fittings ,cleaner , glue and straps.

** A) Ground the metal bell box as well as the receptacle
B ) Drill drain holes in bottom of bell box
C) Use schedule 80 PVC conduit above ground where conduit is exposed
D) Strap pipe / conduit above ground on pole and house with
1/2" mineralacs .
E ) UF cable must be protected above ground or when subject to physical damage.
F) UF cable should be buried 18" below finished grade and a yellow caution marker tape should be buried 6 " above the cable.
G) PVC should be buried 18" below finished grade and yellow caution marker tape buried 6 " above conduit.
H) Your installation should be inspected by the local inspector having juristiction.
I ) Ask someone ,such as an electrician if you have questions or you are unsure of what to do.
J) 4x4 or 6x6 pole for mounting receptacle should be .40 or .60 treated Lumber
K) Mount receptacle on pole at an elevation where it will not be damaged or buried in snow.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 04:16 PM   #6

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Oooo, yeah, if photos were posted of your power pole plug-in thingie (couldn't resist! ) that would be wonderful. Heck if I know if there are any differences between them, but I'm sure they would be helpful to Dirk. Thanks!
Old 05-26-2016, 04:18 PM   #7

Thanks Steve, that will be very helpful to Dirk. I know he knows what he's doing, but one can never have too much info, just in case.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Thanks Steve, that will be very helpful to Dirk. I know he knows what he's doing, but one can never have too much info, just in case.
Sorry about the long post but after 40 years of being a licensed UNION electrician you do things by instinct and don' t even think about it.
Please remember one thing , just because it works doesn't mean it was done correctly , to code or safe.
Old 05-26-2016, 04:38 PM   #9

Few more thing
1) When refilling the trench if you use UF cable do not throw the rocK back on top of the cable. Backfill with dirt or sand .
2) If you use UF cable do not pull the cable up tight .
Leave slack cable in the trench and a loop at both end of the run.
If you pull the cable tight and there are frost heaves the cable will be damaged .
Old 05-26-2016, 05:37 PM   #10

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
... I think they call the receptacle for Escapes standard 3 pin 30A cable connector a TT-30R.
Right
That's the correct name in the NEMA standards - TT-30. The "TT" actually stands for "Travel Trailer", as this style of connection isn't used for anything other than RVs. "R" is just for "receptacle", so for the receptacle side that you need to install TT-30R is the exact industry-standard designation.

Since you want to mount this on a pole, rather than a building wall, it is essentially like a typical campground. There are companies which specialize in selling this stuff, so if you want a ready-made solution for the pole/post and enclosure, do a Google search for "rv power pedestal" ("pedestal" being an alternative to "thingie" ) This might be handy if you want to provide multiple outlets, a cable connection, etc., but if all you want is a power outlet then a simple post with a box and cover would be fine, as Steve has already described well.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 08:42 PM   #11

Okay guys, this is from Dirk (told ya he'd never post on this forum and he's still not):

"Thank you, thank you, thank you. This is great information and just what I needed to know."

So, he's very appreciative of the answers here. He's already clicked on the links provided and looked at the power poles and said "this is just what I need".

He also said that he's not running 50 amp and if I ever decide I want a big ass 5th wheel he's going to scream very loudly for a long time. I told him that's not happening as I have absolutely no desire to drive one of those monsters, which is why we're getting a 21 foot fiberglass trailer. He said that if I win the lotto I might change my mind. Nope, still a big ass monster to drive, regardless of how much money I have.

So, anywho, thanks much for the replies. We're not digging the ditch this weekend, but he'll start on the first step (hopefully) this weekend.
Old 05-27-2016, 08:09 AM   #12

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
In my locale, the electrical work you are describing would require that I get a building permit from the town and have the installation inspected and approved by their electrical inspector. Hope you have considered any similar requirements at your location.

Quote:

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 11:17 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
In my locale, the electrical work you are describing would require that I get a building permit from the town and have the installation inspected and approved by their electrical inspector. Hope you have considered any similar requirements at your location.
Yep, he's aware of that and is talking to someone about that today after work. Thanks for your concern though.