outside storage - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-18-2014, 05:43 AM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I store my battery in the garage over the winter. Batteries that have frozen aren't good batteries for long.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:58 AM   #22

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
If you don't want to pull the batteries and put them in the basement or some such (which is what I'd do) then Ron's idea of the small solar trickle charger is a good one if you can set it up at the storage lot. In my area my concern would be theft, of the batteries and the charger.
Amazon.com: Sunforce 50022 5-Watt Solar Battery Trickle Charger: Automotive

On edit: I heard freezing temps don't bother "fully" charged batteries.
Old 03-18-2014, 06:30 AM   #23

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
On edit: I heard freezing temps don't bother "fully" charged batteries.
This is true, or our vehicle batteries would fail.

I have pretty much always kept the batteries in my trailer over winter. You either need to periodically check and charge them if necessary, or just keep a trickle charge on at all times. I have checked mine a couple times a winter, and found the if disconnected, have dropped very little in voltage.

I have once before, due to neglect, frozen a somewhat discharged battery, and had to replace it in the spring.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 10:46 AM   #24

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
It would take severe and prolonged cold weather to truly freeze a battery, and I think testimony from someone who lives in Calgary should allay any concerns about winter battery care.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:10 PM   #25

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Frequent use and frequent charging is what keeps my vehicle batteries happy! I'm not putting them on an external charger, but just driving the vehicle as I normally do and the alternator does what it should.
I've got a little Miata that sits in garage over winter. I try to get out at least once a month and start it, let it warm up really well then shut it down. Late in the winter, I find that that once a month start just isn't enough and the battery slowly drains down. This year I put a small solar trickle charge on the wall of the garage and ran it to the car. So far it seems to be holding up fine.
For next winter, I am thinking of leaving a solar trickle charger in the trailer on the table by a window that gets some sun and see if that helps to keep the batteries charged and happy.
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 02:35 PM   #26

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I like Jim Bennett's summary. Also, a battery will self-discharge (when not connected to anything) more quickly if it is warm, so if you dump it in the basement and ignore it, it will go flat even faster... but at least not freeze!

I have left cars outside for weeks and even months at a time outside, and rarely had issues. I think that a whole winter season for a trailer calls for some attention, as Jim describes.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 05:21 PM   #27

I will just leave this here Winter Car Battery Checklist from Interstate -

"a fully charged battery will not freeze until -76°F; however, a fully discharged battery could start to freeze at 32°F."

https://www.optimabatteries.com/en-u...ttery-freezes/
OPTIMA YELLOWTOP® batteries are protected from freezing down to -30°F when fully-charged to about 13.0-13.2 volts and our REDTOP® batteries are protected from freezing down to -50°F when fully-charged to about 12.6-12.8 volts. However, if those batteries are not fully-charged, they can freeze at warmer temperatures. Due to the nature of their design, flooded batteries can also freeze at warmer temperatures, especially if they are not fully-charged. When a battery is not fully-charged, the sulfuric acid and distilled water inside the battery are not properly-mixed and the distilled water can freeze.

How Lead Acid Batteries Work: Battery Basics from Progressive Dynamics
If your battery is partially discharged, the electrolyte in a lead acid battery may freeze. At a 40% state of charge, electrolyte will freeze if the temperature drops to approximately -16 degrees F. When a battery is fully charged the electrolyte will not freeze until the temperature drops to approximately -92 degrees F.
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 06:21 PM   #28

Trailer: 21 ft November 17th
I do take the batteries out of our trailer over winter, mostly due the fact that I have to store it at a facility away from our home and getting in there in the winter can be dificult when there is alot of snow, just seems easier to remove them and keep them in my heated garage. I leave our Yukon parked for long periods of time over the winter and the first winter forgot about it for too long and froze and fairly new battery, now i have battery maintainer/ charger wired into the truck and when I park it I just plug it in and it just gently tops up the battery.
dave macrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 07:06 PM   #29
Site Team

My trailer is parked after Fall NOG (second full weekend in October) until Spring NOG (last full weekend in April). I live where it's fairly mild. Maybe two weeks solid of below freezing temps. I've lost two batteries (different years) that wouldn't come back to a full charge... in fact, hardly took a charge and I always disconnect the batteries.

I'm going to be more mindful with my new 5er and two 6 volt batteries. I'd rather spend SOME time rather than SOME dollars. YMMV
Old 03-18-2014, 09:08 PM   #30

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
[QUOTE=Donna D.;46948) that wouldn't come back to a full charge... in fact, hardly took a charge and I always disconnect the batteries.

[/QUOTE]

That is the core of the storage issue, freezing is not the prime danger. All batteries aren't created equal, some may survive over the winter and still function to some degree. It's unlikely that it will be quite as good as one that was trickle charged or periodically charged. All lead acid batteries self-discharge and sulfate to some degree. While there have been many miracle claims made for chargers that will break down the sulfate and allow the battery to take a full charge I've never had the good luck to have one that could do that.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 09:22 PM   #31

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
While there have been many miracle claims made for chargers that will break down the sulfate and allow the battery to take a full charge I've never had the good luck to have one that could do that.

Ron
I asked my mechanic if he could de-sulfate my battery with his fancy charger. He agreed with you, that it is no miracle, and not worth the effort.
Old 03-18-2014, 09:37 PM   #32
Site Team

So.. you know the issues.. you take your chances. Time vs dollars. Your decision. I'v made mine.. YMMV
Old 03-18-2014, 10:08 PM   #33

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
Thanks for all the helpful responses. Lots of information to ponder.
I'm going to be copying / pasting and creating documents so I can come back to all this.

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 10:57 AM   #34

Trailer: Escape 19 February 2014
So another kind of outdoor storage is when people store their trailers elsewhere. I'd be interested to know how that has worked out for people.
Ruthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2014, 02:01 PM   #35

Trailer: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruthe View Post
So another kind of outdoor storage is when people store their trailers elsewhere. I'd be interested to know how that has worked out for people.
Sadly I have to store my trailer at a storage facility about 25 minutes away from home (HOA regs). Its outside and not covered. I check on it once a month as so far, so good. No problems at all.
ColoRockiesFan is offline   Reply With Quote