outside storage - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-16-2014, 08:42 AM   #1
RWS

Trailer: 2014 escape 21
outside storage

When I pick up my 21 in Sept sadly I will have to keep it outside for the winter. I would like to here any suggestions for storage. I was thinking of covering the top of it with a plastic tarp. What about protecting the solar panel and other roof stuff? I live in NW Montana so lots of weather and snow. I'm worried about snow and frozen ice the most.

RWS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:15 AM   #2

Trailer: 5.0 TA #6, 2012 F150 EB
I cover my non Escape trailer with an adco cover, the better of the 2 available. Calmark makes them also customized to fit your trailer, I hear they are the better option. Besides covering it I go out and use a step ladder and roof rake to clear off some of the snow when we get over 6" or so or before it's supposed to rain on top of a snow load. You do have to be careful not to cut the cover and must secure it from wind and sharp edges. hile I got 6 years out of the 1st Adco, I'll go with the Caremark when I get my Escape, at least till I can get a metal car port put up for it.

Old 03-16-2014, 09:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
If you have the space and budget I think parking the trailer under a solid roof structure that can handle the snow load is best.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 10:21 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 19' 2012 Tacoma 4x4 V6 DBLCB 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWS View Post
When I pick up my 21 in Sept sadly I will have to keep it outside for the winter. I would like to here any suggestions for storage. I was thinking of covering the top of it with a plastic tarp. What about protecting the solar panel and other roof stuff? I live in NW Montana so lots of weather and snow. I'm worried about snow and frozen ice the most.
I would go with one of the ones mentioned that are designed as covers. A regular tarp will scratch the surface areas it rides against when the win blows it about etc. Made that mistake once on storing a car. As for the solar panel I used pvc to and pipe foam to make a small frame over it so the sharp edges wouldn't catch and be cut. Though, I did not think of the rain diverter cover for the water heater sticking out and it did rub two spots in the cover I have but they are low down and will take care of it next season so it won't run anymore with a piece of pipe foam insulation on the edge of it. Just something to think about it is after all your call.

Cypher
Old 03-17-2014, 11:59 AM   #5

Trailer: Former class c .. Deciding on 17B
Folks here build a peaked pole structure to keep the snow and falling limbs from hitting /damaging the roof. If you do that make sure you won't get hit with additional taxes.

Keeping the snow load off the roof is important...so far we've had 225 inches this year! Ugh!
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
We don't get anything like your weather where I live but this might be a reasonable, cost effective (temporary?) hedge for you. Costco sells these canopies for under $200. I had to raise it up around 8 inches -added serious anchoring and cross bracing to protect from wind, plus, threw an additional tarp on top. So far so good.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sno2.jpg (147.6 KB, 23 views)
Old 03-17-2014, 03:14 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
I figured our 19 was worth a decent cover, so I dropped a bit less than $3k on a quality carport (there are LOTS of crappy ones out there, beware). Ours is anchored in concrete and has a 65 lb snow load rating, a bit higher than our house roof. If you ahve the space, and $, I highly recommend one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg phpuB1avePM.jpg (74.2 KB, 33 views)
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:50 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
We don't get anything like your weather where I live but this might be a reasonable, cost effective (temporary?) hedge for you.
I bought something similar for my trailer but never put it up, in part because the instructions with it clearly said it could not handle snow load. If I were to use one, I would be careful to clear the snow off regularly, as having it collapse onto the trailer would not be good.
Brian B-P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 10:00 PM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Whatever do you mean?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg sno-Y05.jpg (113.6 KB, 32 views)
Old 03-17-2014, 10:22 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Anything will collapse with enough of a snow load, even the roof on your sticks 'n bricks house. The best thing I ever did for my Scamp was to have a carport built like Bruce's. I know it's added to the gelcoat longevity and my sanity to not need to scrub all the winter moss, mold and slime off. Now it just gets dusty under the carport.

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote