Oven pilot light - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 10-10-2018, 04:17 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Send a message via MSN to kwthere Send a message via Yahoo to kwthere
Oven pilot light

2015 5.0TA

I have the factory installed Atwood (now Dometic) 3 burner stove with oven (R-V1735BBP).

The top burners function normally. Recently, I was unable to light the pilot light. With some investigation, I found that fitting, connecting the pilot light and the propane source tubing, was loose. Once I tightened the tube fitting, I was able to light the pilot light (while depressing the oven knob in the “Pilot Light” position). The pilot light, however, will not stay on when the knob is released – regardless how long I keep the knob depressed.

I contacted Dometic – their advice was to take it to an authorize dealer or repair.

It appears like I may have to haul my rig to the authorized dealer/repair; that is if I ever wish to use the oven.

Any ideas?
kwthere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:23 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had the same oven/stove set up in my 2014 Escape. If I remember correct, there is no pilot light, as that would mean propane on all the time inside a closed space. The stove had piezo igniters, ie. a spark would ignite the gas, once you turned on the burner and turned the igniter. As far as the oven, never used mine as the lighting was too complicated and not easy to perform.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:31 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwthere View Post
I have the factory installed Atwood (now Dometic) 3 burner stove with oven (R-V1735BBP).

... Recently, I was unable to light the pilot light. With some investigation, I found that fitting, connecting the pilot light and the propane source tubing, was loose. Once I tightened the tube fitting, I was able to light the pilot light (while depressing the oven knob in the “Pilot Light” position). The pilot light, however, will not stay on when the knob is released – regardless how long I keep the knob depressed.

I contacted Dometic – their advice was to take it to an authorize dealer or repair.
My guess is that the pilot flame and thermocouple are not close enough together, so when you release the knob the thermocouple isn't producing the voltage required to keep the valve turned on.

You can try tweaking the pilot burner or thermocouple, but an appliance manufacturer is very unlikely to advise a consumer how to adjust an appliance, particularly when it involves burning fuel or a safety system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I had the same oven/stove set up in my 2014 Escape. If I remember correct, there is no pilot light, as that would mean propane on all the time inside a closed space.
The oven has a pilot light. Yes, it means propane burning all the time that the pilot is on, but you're not supposed to leave it on all the time; you light it to start using the oven (and turn on the exhaust fan at that time), and shut it off when finished cooking. If the pilot flame goes out accidentally the valve turns the gas off, as with any pilot-type appliance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
The stove had piezo igniters, ie. a spark would ignite the gas, once you turned on the burner and turned the igniter.
The stove top burners have piezo igniters (in some variants, including the one I have and the one used by Escape). The oven operation is unrelated to the stove top burners.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 04:34 PM   #4

This oven does have a pilot light. When the oven knob is in the off position, the pilot light is turned off. To light the pilot light, one needs to depress the oven knob while in the pilot light position; stand on your head and light the pilot light; keep the knob depressed for 30 sec; release, and the pilot light should stay on. With the pilot light on, the oven will light. I have used the oven only 3-5 times. I may have to live without it.
Old 10-10-2018, 04:44 PM   #5

The pilot light flame is hot and thermocouple is positioned in the hottest part of the flame. I did attempt to tweek it - it did not budge.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:53 PM   #6

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
If you are in the mood for taking a shot yourself at a fix they sell the thermocouple and pilot assembly. If the thermocouple is not in stock you can find it elsewhere or there is a kit with both the thermocouple and pilot assembly

https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/...mocouple-52707

https://pdxrvwholesale.com/products/...-repair-kit%20
rubicon327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2018, 09:01 PM   #7

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by kwthere View Post
The pilot light flame is hot and thermocouple is positioned in the hottest part of the flame. I did attempt to tweek it - it did not budge.
Okay, so Dave's suggestion regarding thermocouple replacement might be the next step.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 11:00 AM   #8

Thank you. I have ordered the assembly and will dig in to making the replacement.
Old 10-11-2018, 11:15 AM   #9

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Boom

Back in the old days ovens were all manually lit with a match. Step one was to open the oven door to its halfway detent. Step two open the broiler door on some ovens and access the ignition spot where gas was fed to the Oven burner. Turn the gas on an put a match in the proper position and the burner would light. Sometimes the gas was a little slow to get there and the match would burn out. Light another match and go again. All this while laying on the floor in front of the oven or bending down low if you were young. One time my match burned out, I got another match and kneeling down, lit the oven. In a millisecond I realized I had skipped step one. Gas had built up in the oven and ignited with a nice explosion, driving the oven door open and damn near knocking me out. Moral don’t akip steps and be careful with natural gas or propane.
Thought you might need a laugh today and now realize just one more one reason I am goofy.
Iowa Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:13 PM   #10

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Over the years and miles, I have found that the oven pilot lights are always lit at Cracker Barrel. So when we are on the road and get a craving for anything baked or broiled, we leave it to the professionals.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2018, 01:36 PM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
and if you time it right, some will let you sleep it off inside your Escape while waiting for breakfast the next am before getting on the road...
Old 02-27-2019, 11:14 AM   #12

I replaced the pilot light, and thermocouple assemblies. The oven pilot light still did not stay lit; the oven would not light.
I decided to upgrade with a new Stainless Steel version of the same range. (Atwood 17" RA-1735 SSPSA). It slipped in the the the space - same dimentions. Hookup was simple.