Oven pros and cons - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-06-2016, 02:41 PM   #81

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
I think we will go with the oven on our 21. Cookies and brownies just sounds good to me. What are the actual interior dimensions?
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:42 PM   #82

Trailer: Escape 21', "Cardinals' Nest"
We enquired about installing an SMEV CU43410730000US oven and stove that got a rave review in the March, 2015 Trailer Life. [Our trailer was finished in late July, 2015.] Reace said no.

That could have been for any number of reasons, including the SMEV unit being vaporware. It was allegedly sold by Dometic, but I couldn't find it on their website, or by calling into Dometic.

That said, we've used the standard oven a number of times. Lasagna, bread, and brownies have all baked fine. So far, it has been large enough for the two of us.

But the times are a-changing, especially at Escape. Doesn't hurt to check with them on any change you might like.
Art M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:51 PM   #83

Trailer: Escape 21', "Cardinals' Nest"
Total interior dimensions of the oven are:

5.75" high, 15" wide, and 14.5" deep.

Usable is somewhat smaller, to allow heat to reach the sides and top of the bakee.
Art M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 02:52 PM   #84

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2016 GMC Canyon Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art M. View Post
Total interior dimensions of the oven are:

5.75" high, 15" wide, and 14.5" deep.

Usable is somewhat smaller, to allow heat to reach the sides and top of the bakee.
Thanks, Art.
stephen99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:31 PM   #85

Trailer: Escape 21' Feb 2017
I am also interested in the newer style ovens. I like the following two because they provide gas oven, gas cooktop burners, and glass cover that is flush with the countertop . I hope there will be some way to accommodate the slightly larger size.

Thetford's "Spinflow Triplex" :
Spinflo Triplex | Products | Thetford

And

Dometic's "CU-434 Stainless-Steel Range":
http://www.dometic.com/USA/MS-7207-R...ss-Steel-Range
Cslcs25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 04:42 PM   #86

Trailer: 17
This 17 has the SMEV
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/me...cture1363.html
gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:25 PM   #87

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
Interesting...thanks everyone!

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2016, 05:52 PM   #88

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art M. View Post
We enquired about installing an SMEV CU43410730000US oven and stove that got a rave review in the March, 2015 Trailer Life. [Our trailer was finished in late July, 2015.]
It was allegedly sold by Dometic, but I couldn't find it on their website, or by calling into Dometic.
That's an ongoing challenge with Dometic: they sell a different selection of products in each market, what they list for a given market is not the same as what they actually sell. SMEV was acquired by Dometic, possibly causing more confusion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gocamp View Post
Different appliance. Art was talking about a stove with oven; that 17 has a stovetop only - a very different appliance.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 04:18 PM   #89

Trailer: Escape 21' May 2017
I want the oven, but hubby not so interested in it. He wants to know if it will help with resale of the trailer and then he is for it. What do you think, will it help?
The Quilting Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 04:44 PM   #90

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Just my opinion of course butI had the oven in our last trailer, bought it for resale value... I do believe made absolutely no difference in the price I asked, or got, don't recall it coming up in the conversation at all. It's possible you may lose some buyers though if they are specifically looking for a trailer with an oven.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:06 PM   #91

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Or it could go the other way and you could lose some buyers because of the room it takes up and losing of some drawer space. I don't really see it helping the actual resale value that much but that's just my opinion.

I would not worry about it either way, if you want it and think you will use it for your style of camping then get it.
Old 11-27-2016, 05:46 PM   #92

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I had an oven in my 21' and never used it once in more than 2 years of camping before selling.
Old 11-27-2016, 06:00 PM   #93

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Had a oven in every RV we have owned and wouldn't be without . One of the first items to go on our build sheet . Can't beat using gas inside to cook ,if boondocking and can't or don't want to cook outside . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:28 PM   #94
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
We don't care for an oven inside the trailer, mainly because the trailer is quite small and the kitchen storage is at a premium, and because the oven capacity is quite limited. If we ever get the urge to bake, we can do so quite effectively with our Dickinson Spitfire 180. Alternatively, a very nice camp oven (that can be adapted to the QC and has bigger capacity) can be had for under $130 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Cam.../dp/B0013LLSZG
Old 11-27-2016, 07:36 PM   #95

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Had a oven in every RV we have owned and wouldn't be without . One of the first items to go on our build sheet . Can't beat using gas inside to cook ,if boondocking and can't or don't want to cook outside . Pat
We store bread , chips etc. inside oven when not using . Also the nicest surprise was the stove top burners light without a match . The oven itself you still need a match . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 07:45 PM   #96

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Quilting Lady View Post
I want the oven, but hubby not so interested in it. He wants to know if it will help with resale of the trailer and then he is for it. What do you think, will it help?
Of course it will help. "Guaranteed!" tell him. Actually, ovens are pretty uncommon in Escapes but very common in other trailers, and so, many expect one. The women are the ones usually insisting on them but the men always love to have what is made with them, it seems.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 10:15 PM   #97

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
No oven in our first RV, a tent trailer we had for nearly 10 years. Our second trailer we had for 12 years was a 24' stick built with an oven,which we used maybe twice . Then over 6 years with the Escape 19 with no oven, which was never missed. In fact, this led to the belief that we would never want, or really need, an oven in a trailer. We baked lots in our Dickenson BBQ using an oven stone, which worked good. This last year we had an oven in our temp sticky fifth wheel, which Lisa used a fair bit, and lots on the rainy trip we had in Oregon. This lead her to really wanting one in our 5.0, so I decided to trade or Dickenson 2 burner stove in on an oven. Other than the cost, I know I won't regret it.

This all just goes to show that even ideas you may be set on, in time just might change. Never say never.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2016, 11:38 PM   #98

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Just back from a Thanksgiving gathering, with extended family. Baked 3 pies and two batches of cornbread in our oven. So nice to be able to make the pies so they are fresh, rather than baking at home ahead of the travels. But that's just me... And mostly at Thanksgiving with the family.

I always carry a box of brownie mix. An easy treat with the oven - although we don't make them that often, it's nice to know we have the option.

I have no idea about resale value. As somebody said before, if you want an oven and think you'll use it, go for it. If you go camping to get away from the kitchen, having the oven might be pointless. In our Casita, an oven wasn't an option. In the Escape (especially the 21), there's room and it's available. Still, I struggled with the decision - but in the year we've had the trailer, I have NO regrets on getting the oven.
Old 11-28-2016, 12:00 AM   #99

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Alternatively, a very nice camp oven (that can be adapted to the QC and has bigger capacity) can be had for under $130 on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/Camp-Chef-Cam.../dp/B0013LLSZG
The Camp Chef Outoor range can easily be converted to bulk high-pressure propane (like most appliances), but it uses a regulator setup similar to common lightweight portable high-pressure propane stoves... which have proven to be problematic to convert to a low-pressure propane source. Has anyone demonstrated that the fittings are available to connect a low-pressure hose to this range without the regulator, and that it runs properly on the standard regulated low pressure?
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 12:14 AM   #100
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Has anyone demonstrated that the fittings are available to connect a low-pressure hose to this range without the regulator, and that it runs properly on the standard regulated low pressure?
Nobody here that I know of. It's a good point. Camp Chef does sell a hose to connect to a tank directly. Probably easier than removing their regulator in order to use the QC.

But, on the Forest River Forum, there are folks who've removed the regulator from the stove and just used their trailer QC successfully. Apparently it requires installing a male QC fitting on the stove.

Makes sense that it'll easily adapt though, since all the Camp Chef ovens are low pressure.

Tags
oven