Oven pros and cons - Page 6 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-28-2016, 12:35 AM   #101

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Who wants to go outside to use your oven when it could already be installed . You could be nice and warm waiting for your cinnamon rolls in the morning , Mac&cheese , baked potato , chicken pot pie , casseroles etc. . We find we cook more because we aren't distracted like at home with little time and so many things to do . It just is nice to have your little oven right there ready to use . Actually have more room in our 19 then we had in our 9 1/2 camper that had a oven . I does boil down to fix your trailer up with what will make you happy , not anyone else . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 12:48 AM   #102

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Camp Chef does sell a hose to connect to a tank directly. Probably easier than removing their regulator in order to use the QC.
I agree.

Quote:
But, on the Forest River Forum, there are folks who've removed the regulator from the stove and just used their trailer QC successfully. Apparently it requires installing a male QC fitting on the stove.

Makes sense that it'll easily adapt though, since all the Camp Chef ovens are low pressure.
I assume that this was supposed to say that "all the Camp Chef stoves are low pressure".

Even then, this has been a repeated source of confusion: while most Camp Chef stoves - including their best-known stoves - are low-pressure and easily converted to use the quick-connect hose, the Camp Chef Mountain Series stoves are high-pressure appliances that are not readily converted (just like other brands of lightweight portable stoves). My guess is that this range (which they call an oven, but has stove burners on top as well) uses the same regulator setup as the Mountain Series stoves.

Still, a portable oven is an alternative to a fixed oven in the trailer. It just won't likely quick-connect to the trailer's regulated propane supply.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 01:43 AM   #103
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
I guess I was a bit confusing. What I meant was that the oven runs on low pressure once the regulator knocks it down. Remove the regulator, install a male QC fitting, connect to the trailer QC, and you'd be supplying it with LP at basically the same pressure as the factory regulator, no? Several folks on other forums report doing this and it works.

I however would probably just connect it to a tank directly.
Old 11-28-2016, 11:41 AM   #104

Trailer: 2016 19 (sold)
Another thumbs up for the oven in our 19. We baked brownies, pizza, turkey breast, and pie last week alone. We didn't use any kind of baking stone or other modifications, but I might look into it. Cooking times were generally longer than at home (in the case of the turkey breast, nearly twice as long). Our only abject failure was a pumpkin pie, which never cooked all the way through in the middle despite a looooong time in there.
canyonrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2016, 12:38 PM   #105

Quote:
I guess I was a bit confusing. What I meant was that the oven runs on low pressure once the regulator knocks it down.
They all provide propane to the burners at a low pressure, but they don't all provide propane to the controls (for each burner) at the same 11 inches of water column which is the standard regulated pressure for RVs.

Quote:
Remove the regulator, install a male QC fitting, connect to the trailer QC, and you'd be supplying it with LP at basically the same pressure as the factory regulator, no? Several folks on other forums report doing this and it works.
Aside from perhaps not being the same pressure... the regulator is easily removable in this case, but the port where it is attached is not a common flare or pipe thread fitting like the many easily converted stoves and grills. Has anyone converted this specific appliance... not just a different appliance of the same brand?
Old 11-28-2016, 01:54 PM   #106
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Aside from perhaps not being the same pressure... the regulator is easily removable in this case, but the port where it is attached is not a common flare or pipe thread fitting like the many easily converted stoves and grills. Has anyone converted this specific appliance... not just a different appliance of the same brand?
Here's what others have used to convert the specific oven I linked:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They take the QC fitting off the valve and throw the valve away. Seems less efficient than just buying the proper QC fitting.

You're right about the "Mountain Series" though - not convertible.
Attached Thumbnails
61EzWOuVmKL._SL1500_.jpg  
Old 11-28-2016, 04:52 PM   #107

Quote:
Here's what others have used to convert the specific oven I linked:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They take the QC fitting off the valve and throw the valve away. Seems less efficient than just buying the proper QC fitting.
Thanks Robert.

The description for that part says "Replacement part for Olympian 5100 and 5500 grills", the control would not be appropriate for the Camp Chef oven, and neither end of that part would connect to the oven... so it seems that the appeal of this part is that it includes a quick-connect fitting on it which has a useful connection style on the non-QC side. Even that won't fit the input of the Camp Chef oven, so my guess is that they are not just discarding the control from this part, they are also removing the regulator part of the stock removable regulator assembly that goes into the oven, and have found that the remaining parts screw together (it looks like the bit from the Olympian control would have a female thread, and the bit from the stock regulator would usually have a male thread). The problem with just buying the proper QC fitting is presumably that this fitting is not available; QC male fittings are only readily available with 1/4" NPT (male or female) threads, and this may be smaller, or a different thread, or a different seal design.

So, US$21 for an extra regulator assembly (if you don't want to give up the one that came with the oven) plus US$14 for the Olympian part, throw away the most valuable parts of both of them, and you have an adapter for a low-pressure supply than can be readily interchanged with the stock arrangement for a high-pressure propane supply. I'm not saying that this will definitely work, or that it is a safe connection even if it does work this way, but that appears to be what some people have done.
Attached Thumbnails
CampChefOven-regulator.JPG  
Attached Images

Tags
oven