Oven vs no oven? - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2017, 09:04 AM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
Hi Alf,
I like small town bakeries too. I usually ask a local resident something like " where's the best bakery in Smallville?" They usually say that there's only one and give directions. I quit asking "You got a bakery in this jerkwater burg?" Seemed to turn some people off! Some of those convenience
stores have a good selection, others not so much. Have a good one
Dave
Hi: Iowa Dave... Last bakeshop I tugged to... the baker said his Dad used to say "If you can't see teeth marks in the butter you ain't got enough on the fresh bread". Sounds like good advise to me!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:16 AM   #42

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
I've yet to see the "same people" saying both of those things. Some of us travel light - some travel with lots of "stuff" Amazing that different people can be different isn't it?

Just perhaps as I have suggested before, an understanding that others have different opinions and points of view might help prevent what seems to be a recurring result of the implications of ones posts?
I came to the conclusion a long time ago that you and I are never going to agree on ANYTHING and I have no intentions of trying to change that fact . As you pointed out opinions differ and I honestly stated mine .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:22 AM   #43

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Mmmmm time to let this horse die so to speak
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:29 AM   #44

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldtimer View Post
Mmmmm time to let this horse die so to speak
Hi: Oldtimer... Some old folks suffer from "Hardening" of the opinions!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 09:34 AM   #45

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
More stuff, I think some of the observations are saying the same thing, in both the 21 and 5.0TA the kitchen is more or less the same and most people are upgrading from a smaller unit with little counter space so the these units are huge compared to their predecessors, but why lose 50% of the increase by installing another option, the oven. So some are saying there is plenty of space, not necessarily counter but storage, while others saying why lose storage to the oven. I found that as you expand your space so does your stuff. I can not fit everything I had in my 21 in my 19, but then again I do not need to, so it stays home.
Old 05-01-2017, 09:40 AM   #46

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
More stuff, I think some of the observations are saying the same thing, in both the 21 and 5.0TA the kitchen is more or less the same and most people are upgrading from a smaller unit with little counter space so the these units are huge compared to their predecessors, but why lose 50% of the increase by installing another option, the oven. So some are saying there is plenty of space, not necessarily counter but storage, while others saying why lose storage to the oven. I found that as you expand your space so does your stuff. I can not fit everything I had in my 21 in my 19, but then again I do not need to, so it stays home.
Exactly, and for Mary and I, everything we needed fit easily into our 17B. We are upgrading to a 21 for more human spaces, ie countertops, passing in the aisle, not climbing over in the bed, and a much larger table/dining area. The more storage space just means that same 17B stuff can be spread out more and stacked less. We could easily get an oven and not miss the storage space, but we aren't getting one because we decided it would not get used enough to be worthwhile for us. YMMV

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:01 AM   #47
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Coming from the 16' Scamp world to an Escape 5.0TA, I'm one of those people who has empty cabinets. I find I carry the same stuff. I'm always amazed when I see how people pack. Not only the amount, but how items are placed in cabinets. A 10" plate, even if 4-6 plates, stacked... has a whole lot of space above the plates. Perhaps using a vertical divider would be a better option. Instead of using 10" of horizontal space, you're only using about 4" of space. This isn't exactly what I was thinking, but you get the idea. AND use nesting pots and pans.
Attached Thumbnails
storage.jpg  
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:23 AM   #48

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
Carl , I was not pointing my finger at you , only the inconsistencies on this forum. IE Some people are towing Escape's with marginal vehicles at best and their reasoning is that they pack light , keep their trailer weight down , and drive slow yet the same people say they can't afford to lose one inch of storage space. I would assume that if they are that short on storage space then what they have is full.
How do you cram full every inch of storage space and still pack light and keep the weight down ?

I see no sense in having an oven if you don't want , need , desire , cannot afford or have any use for an oven but sometimes the logic of these discussions escapes me. ( NO pun intended)

I don't wish to turn this into another thread that leads to personnal attacks , so I will leave this end at this point .
Steve, I try not to take what others say personal, and I can assure you that I did not consider your post a personal attack by any means. I just wanted to, shall I say go on record that I am not say one thing on one thread and then something else on another. Storage space is very important to me. I think that there has been some very good discussion here regarding ovens, both pro and con and that is what the OP requested. Most everyone has opinions on any topic that is introduced here, whether it is ovens or the suitability of a certain tow vehicle. Just because one individual may have a given opinion and think they are correct, it does not make it correct. I don't believe you should withdraw from this discussion as your preferences and the reasons for them may be invaluable to someone trying to put together a build sheet. Conversely, someone with an opposing viewpoint may make more sense to that person. Unfortunately, there are individuals who take offense if someone else disagrees with them, and fail to see a differing opinion for what it is. I see far fewer (what I would consider) snarky posts or personal attacks on this forum than on the other one. I rarely perceive them here. Perhaps it is because we all own or are hoping to own Escape trailers. That makes us like Yogi, "smarter than the average bear!" Just kidding, I couldn't resist!
Old 05-01-2017, 10:33 AM   #49

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Coming from the 16' Scamp world to an Escape 5.0TA, I'm one of those people who has empty cabinets. I find I carry the same stuff. I'm always amazed when I see how people pack. Not only the amount, but how items are placed in cabinets. A 10" plate, even if 4-6 plates, stacked... has a whole lot of space above the plates. Perhaps using a vertical divider would be a better option. Instead of using 10" of horizontal space, you're only using about 4" of space. This isn't exactly what I was thinking, but you get the idea. AND use nesting pots and pans.
As usual, you make a good point, Donna. I previously stated all of my storage space is occupied. Technically, it isn't. But I don't like having to move 40 things out of the way to get to the item I want. I didn't like it when I owned my Aliners, as nice as they were to tow, having to raise and lower the dinette twice every 24 hours to go from table to bed. It wasn't convenient. So we organize stored items with convenience in mind. Perhaps I should say that yes, I haven't used up all available storage space, but if I don't want to sacrifice convenience by having to constantly move things out of the way, then our 5.0TA is functionally crammed full.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:45 AM   #50

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
As usual, you make a good point, Donna. I previously stated all of my storage space is occupied. Technically, it isn't. But I don't like having to move 40 things out of the way to get to the item I want. I didn't like it when I owned my Aliners, as nice as they were to tow, having to raise and lower the dinette twice every 24 hours to go from table to bed. It wasn't convenient. So we organize stored items with convenience in mind. Perhaps I should say that yes, I haven't used up all available storage space, but if I don't want to sacrifice convenience by having to constantly move things out of the way, then our 5.0TA is functionally crammed full.
Now Carl you and I can totally agree about the moving things out of the way to get something . Absolutely hate that . Things that we carry need their own space . Don't care if the rest of cabinet isn't filled or stuffed .Now your talking , Crackle Barrel , would definetly eat there . Who knew ,we can agree on some things Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 10:47 AM   #51
Site Team

It's one of the issues with having deep cabinetry, especially the pantry in Ten Forward. It always seems everything I want is at the back. I get tired of unloading stuff to reach other stuff and I'm going to change that with some rolling shelves! Two for the pantry, one for under the stove and another for under the sink. It's past time to get some convenience. I seem to forget about it until I go camping... like this past weekend. I'm definitely getting measurements before I take Ten Forward back to the storage yard tomorrow.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:53 AM   #52

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I find that if you tie your knickers in a knot they take up more space, which is counter-intuitive.
Old 05-01-2017, 10:57 AM   #53

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Quote:
... I'm going to change that with some rolling shelves! Two for the pantry, one for under the stove and another for under the sink. It's past time to get some convenience. I seem to forget about it until I go camping... like this past weekend. I'm definitely getting measurements before I take Ten Forward back to the storage yard tomorrow.
Donna, Leon and Lindy have these, Roll Out Organizers in their 21'. They are spendy but very well made, I plan on them eventually in ours.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 05-01-2017, 11:17 AM   #54
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Donna, Leon and Lindy have these, Roll Out Organizers in their 21'. They are spendy but very well made, I plan on them eventually in ours.
Those are nice, but I don't want wire. I bought rolling shelves for my parent's kitchen as a Christmas gift to them. Very well made and come in a gazillion sizes. Yes, they're a bit expensive. A one-and-done. In the grand scheme of things, not outrageously expensive. I'm at the age, I don't want to just "settle" but want what I want. I'm going to buy the locking shelves, made for RVs. http://www.rollingshelves.com/
Old 05-01-2017, 11:19 AM   #55

Quote:
Those are nice, but I don't want wire. I bought rolling shelves for my parent's kitchen as a Christmas gift to them. Very well made and come in a gazillion sizes. Yes, they're expensive. A one-and-done. In the grand scheme of things, not outrageously expensive. I'm going to buy the locking shelves, made for RVs. http://www.rollingshelves.com/
Those look really nice Donna.

Old 05-01-2017, 11:34 AM   #56

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post

These contradictions are confusing . If we purchase an Escape 21 and end up with no greater storage capacity and we still don't get an oven then why buy one.
This has nothing to do with having or not having an oven , it has to do with something supposedly being too BIG and too Small at the same time !!

I realize the thread has moved on (thanks Donna for the excellent thoughts) but us late rising Westerners just want to say that...

There is a lot of storage in the 21/5 but it's not always where one -wants- it to be. The kitchen area (prime spots) can quickly fill with ... stuff... that you want to have readily available. The quirky wheel well storage limits bulky items. If you have a short reach like I do, some of the overhead compartments can be a pain to use for everyday items.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2017, 06:04 PM   #57

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 T
we have a 5.0TA being built. We had ovens on two boats and probably didn't use them more that 2-3 times in 15 years. Will use the grill or toaster oven if necessary. not worth the lost storage space. coleman folding stove top oven is another consideration but again lost space for storage but available when not connected to shore power.
Lee.Artman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:16 AM   #58

Trailer: 2013 Casita (Sold) 2017 Escape 21
Acknowledging that everyone's style is different, this is what works for us. We camp with hookups at least 90% of the time so a convection microwave fits the bill for us. Great brownies, cookies, etc and easy to use. While we gave up a little drawer space (coming from a Casita who cares?) we gained counter space by having ETI put in a flush mount cooktop. For those times we are dry camping, the Weber Q with the setup shown in the picture works great for baking. (Just make sure it's level when doing brownies!) We generally do our baked potatoes 🥔 on it even with hookups. Oven vs no oven is really a very personal choice though depending on expected style of camping. If we were dry camping the majority of the time it would probably be more convenient for us to just fire up the propane oven instead of setting up the Weber Q.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0952.jpg   IMG_0953.jpg  

Never underestimate a man with a Degree in Physical Education.
H46Driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 09:23 AM   #59
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
And let's face it Dave, that convection oven just looks cool there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
Old 05-09-2017, 10:33 AM   #60

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
And let's face it Dave, that convection oven just looks cool there.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk
If the convection oven in the picture works as well as it looks and it looks great ,then it is an option well worth considering.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote