Oven vs no oven? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2017, 07:31 PM   #1

Trailer: 21 foot 5.0 fifth wheel 2017
Oven vs no oven?

We are having n escape 21 fifth wheel built and going through the build sheet......we are tossing around oven or no oven.........any thoughts on this from those that have or dont have the oven in their fifth wheel........thanks Michael
Michael.Chadwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:49 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
We're working on our Build Sheet for a 19 footer now too. After much deliberation, we've decided to forgo an oven for two drawers. LOVE having drawers! After 45 years of camping without an oven, I'm not sure why I'd need one except for baking cookies/cake/pie and don't want to get started down that path! IF we ever think we want an oven, I can always pick up a toaster oven for use when we're plugged in. Decision made for us!

"It is better to travel well than to arrive" - Buddha
Ljswany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 07:55 PM   #3

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
It's easy, if you think you'll use it, get it. Many like to bake and such and use them all the time.

Personally we skipped it, which is good for our style of camping/traveling.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2011 Escape 5.0; previous 2008 Escape 17'
Well, for us, we do not have an oven or microwave. I love the extra space and have found no need for either.

We do own a portable oven by Coleman but even it has only been used once quite a few years ago. I may take it on our x-Canada trip but am still debating that. Most things I can do on my stove or BBQ.

Good luck with your decision.
Conuma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:48 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ljswany View Post
We're working on our Build Sheet for a 19 footer now too. After much deliberation, we've decided to forgo an oven for two drawers. LOVE having drawers! After 45 years of camping without an oven, I'm not sure why I'd need one except for baking cookies/cake/pie and don't want to get started down that path! IF we ever think we want an oven, I can always pick up a toaster oven for use when we're plugged in. Decision made for us!
Having an oven in a 19' does not preclude you from having drawers. We have the oven and two drawers below the pantry. Works great for us.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 08:51 PM   #6

Trailer: 2024 Bigfoot 21RB
Depends I think on how you cook and if you camp in the off season. We have the oven and don't find the loss of a small amount of counter space and two drawers a problem.
gharper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:22 PM   #7

Trailer: 2017 Escape Trailer 21
We have a 21 on order and will get the oven. We plan on two month trips and would like to make casseroles, lasagne and other comfort foods to go along with BQ and fried meals. It is a expensive option so I hope it works well. My sister in law has a 19 with no oven and she very happy with hers. It was the option I spent the longest time on.
jkavanagh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 09:27 PM   #8

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
We have the oven and wouldn't be without . The thing is it runs on propane so great if you don't have hookups . Also have stored a few things in oven when it wasn't being used . I think the biggest surprise was no match needed to light on the top burners only need to light pilot in oven . If weather is cold and rainy or windy can cook something up inside without hookups . It works for us . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 10:09 PM   #9

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Recent discussions on this:

The oven.

Opinions On Oven Please (although this one is about adding oven to 19).

Escape Oven vs Toaster Oven.
Old 04-29-2017, 10:56 PM   #10

Trailer: 2018 5.0TA / 2018 GMC Canyon/Duramax
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael.Chadwick View Post
We are having n escape 21 fifth wheel built and going through the build sheet......we are tossing around oven or no oven.........any thoughts on this from those that have or dont have the oven in their fifth wheel........thanks Michael
My personal choice is more storage space over oven, but you have to decide what is more important for you. Picture of 2017 5.0TA with oven option.
Attached Thumbnails
Kitchen 5.0TA 2017 20170420_140519.jpg  
Kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2017, 11:14 PM   #11

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
I'm getting an oven. We made cookies on a cold evening when camping with my friend's camper really like having it.
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:51 AM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Yep, lots of previous discussions on this. It comes down to personal preference, but never hurts to see what others do. We have had an oven in a previous trailer we owned for 11 years, and used it twice. Never had one in our 19 for over 6 years, and never missed it using the BBQ effectively as an oven many times. Our temp trailer we used last year had one in it, and on one cold rainy trip got used a lot. My wife really wanted one in our new 5.0TA, and we all know who got their way here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice-breaker View Post
Having an oven in a 19' does not preclude you from having drawers. We have the oven and two drawers below the pantry. Works great for us.
We have an oven and a total of 11 drawers. Well, we will once I install them today.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 06:16 AM   #13

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
We have an oven and a total of 11 drawers. Well, we will once I install them today.
But you're cheating.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:21 AM   #14

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Like Kent, our personal choice was more internal storage space. We can bake just as well in our Weber Q100 grill as anyone can in their built in oven, and have done so many times. With the thermometer I added to its lid, it is easy to regulate the temperature. Lower temps can be attained by propping the lid open a bit. And the Weber is more convenient to clean than an oven. Since we don't intentionally camp in cold weather, only in "shirtsleeve" weather, we do not add unwanted heat inside the trailer. The only downside, if you want to call it that, is all baking/roasting is done outside. However, I didn't buy the Escape (or any other trailer I have owned) to go someplace nice and sit inside. Realistically, we have an oven without having to give up the storage space, and since we, like most members of the forum have a grill, do not have to carry or store a countertop oven or a stovetop oven.
Old 04-30-2017, 06:22 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
But you're cheating.
It sure doesn't feel like cheating, it's a lot of work.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 07:47 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Had one in my 21' Escape, never used it, other than storing oven pans. It is a manual light oven and somewhat PIA to light. Like the microwave, the storage space inside these trailers are at a premium, so less options and more space, the better.
Old 04-30-2017, 08:05 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape as of 01/16/17
We have an oven in our 21' Escape TT. My wife uses it all the time, but we full time in our Escape. It is strictly a personal choice. Safe travels!

Fred M.

"Whoever said retirement was overrated...
...never had an Escape"
Red Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:15 AM   #18

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
I look at it this way , if we don't have an oven , then there is no chance my wife will bake anything , if we do have an oven then the possibility exists . With possibility comes hope.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 08:32 AM   #19

Trailer: 2016 21. '15 Ford Explorer V-6
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Like Kent, our personal choice was more internal storage space. We can bake just as well in our Weber Q100 grill as anyone can in their built in oven, and have done so many times. With the thermometer I added to its lid, it is easy to regulate the temperature. Lower temps can be attained by propping the lid open a bit. And the Weber is more convenient to clean than an oven. Since we don't intentionally camp in cold weather, only in "shirtsleeve" weather, we do not add unwanted heat inside the trailer. The only downside, if you want to call it that, is all baking/roasting is done outside. However, I didn't buy the Escape (or any other trailer I have owned) to go someplace nice and sit inside. Realistically, we have an oven without having to give up the storage space, and since we, like most members of the forum have a grill, do not have to carry or store a countertop oven or a stovetop oven.

“Get out the map and lay your finger anywhere down” -Indigo Girls
Steve Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 10:00 AM   #20

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
The oven for us is not hard to light. You won't be using a barbecue in a overnight stop to cook and aren't allowed . . You can use your oven . Never in all our years camping with 3 ovens had a issue with heat . We live in California , you open your windows . The oven because it is small doesn't generate heat like a oven at home . Cleaning up never been a problem just a wipe down . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote