Overhead lights condensation - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 03-22-2016, 05:26 PM   #1
Member
 
Casper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Shawnigan Lake, British Columbia
Trailer: Casper-21 Escape 2014
Posts: 36
Overhead lights condensation

Hi all - spent the month of January in Cali and although mostly nice during the day, the nights were close to freezing. After a week or so of this weather, some of the overhead lights were turning on all by themselves, with the switch set to off. There was a lot of condensation in the overhead cavity, so I figure the moisture caused a short.

Question... has anyone else experienced this, and how did you fix? I've caulked the area where the wires come through the vinyl. Any other ideas? It's a little hard to create a drip loop for the wires because gravity isn't your friend here

I'm a little concerned about the long term effects of the moisture in the new style ceiling, as well as the longevity of the LED lights in a moist environment. It doesn't appear that there is anywhere for accumulated condensation to go.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Alisa
__________________

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:34 PM   #2
Senior Member
 
PGDriver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: Southern Alberta, Alberta
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Posts: 1,440
I would turn up the furnace and leave a window partly open and the maxxfan on low exhaust or at least open to vent the condensation.

Cheers
Doug
__________________

__________________
Doug & Eileen
2015 Escape 5.0TA
2015 GMC Sierra Crew 4X4 6.2 8 speed
PGDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:41 PM   #3
Member
 
Casper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Shawnigan Lake, British Columbia
Trailer: Casper-21 Escape 2014
Posts: 36
Thanks Doug...already was doing that. I've lived on a boat for years, so air movement is always a priority. Either had the furnace running (or electric heat) with the rear side window cracked and the overhead vent cracked at least a couple inches for air flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
I would turn up the furnace and leave a window partly open and the maxxfan on low exhaust or at least open to vent the condensation.

Cheers
Doug
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:48 PM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Area 51, New Mexico
Trailer: pondering.....
Posts: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Hi all - spent the month of January in Cali and although mostly nice during the day, the nights were close to freezing. After a week or so of this weather, some of the overhead lights were turning on all by themselves, with the switch set to off. There was a lot of condensation in the overhead cavity, so I figure the moisture caused a short.

Question... has anyone else experienced this, and how did you fix? I've caulked the area where the wires come through the vinyl. Any other ideas? It's a little hard to create a drip loop for the wires because gravity isn't your friend here

I'm a little concerned about the long term effects of the moisture in the new style ceiling, as well as the longevity of the LED lights in a moist environment. It doesn't appear that there is anywhere for accumulated condensation to go.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Alisa
curious...do you have the extra insulation in your trailer?
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:51 PM   #5
Member
 
Casper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Shawnigan Lake, British Columbia
Trailer: Casper-21 Escape 2014
Posts: 36
Yes - have the extra insulation/thermal windows and spray foam.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:11 PM   #6
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2016
Location: Area 51, New Mexico
Trailer: pondering.....
Posts: 728
I am still evaluating the purchase of an Escape and compiling issues/non-issues on the forum prior to a decision. Although I can not help you with your specific question, I have wondered what if anything can "grow" behind the vinyl and the extra insulation and/or fiberglass over time. ....have not seen the specifications yet for the vinyl material and its foam (?) backing (Casita provided the specifications for their wall covering material, foam and adhesive). If the Escape has a continuous adhesive applied to its back side then maybe condensation can not accumulate on the back side of the vinyl and it may be nothing to be concerned about.
with regard to your led fixtures shorting it is concerning that enough moisture can accumulate behind the vinyl if that is where it is coming from ...to cause a drip and a short.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:28 PM   #7
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: York, Pennsylvania
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 13,693
I can honesty say Alisa, your issue is a first both here and over on FGRV. I have never heard of condensation inside the ceiling lights. Whether from cooking or inadequate venting it seems ironic. I have winter camped in every month without having any moisture in the light in my 21 Escape. The window frames yes. Which light or lights are you having issues with?
__________________
Jim
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why………..Mark Twain
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:41 PM   #8
Member
 
Casper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Shawnigan Lake, British Columbia
Trailer: Casper-21 Escape 2014
Posts: 36
I've got the full insulation package, which in the 21 model has a honeycomb or cored ceiling. There definitely was significant condensation accumulating above the vinyl. Cold fibreglass roof and a warm air pocket between the vinyl and the honeycomb material = condensation. Not sure how to increase air circulation in this area since it's completely covered up. The easiest way out for the water was through the light fixtures.

Not griping about the trailer (I love my Escape), just trying to figure out what is the best way to eliminate the problem. This is a 2014 rig, and I hope to have it for the long term!



Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
I am still evaluating the purchase of an Escape and compiling issues/non-issues on the forum prior to a decision. Although I can not help you with your specific question, I have wondered what if anything can "grow" behind the vinyl and the extra insulation and/or fiberglass over time. ....have not seen the specifications yet for the vinyl material and its foam (?) backing (Casita provided the specifications for their wall covering material, foam and adhesive). If the Escape has a continuous adhesive applied to its back side then maybe condensation can not accumulate on the back side of the vinyl and it may be nothing to be concerned about.
with regard to your led fixtures shorting it is concerning that enough moisture can accumulate behind the vinyl if that is where it is coming from ...to cause a drip and a short.
Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:50 PM   #9
Site Team
 
cpaharley2008's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: York, Pennsylvania
Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
Posts: 13,693
There should not be a problem over the bed with the bedroom window cracked and the fan vent open and fan operating on exhaust.Are you saying there is no reflectix behind the ceiling, just bare fiberglass?
__________________
Jim
The two most important days in your life are the day you were born and the day you find out why………..Mark Twain
cpaharley2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:52 PM   #10
Member
 
Casper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Shawnigan Lake, British Columbia
Trailer: Casper-21 Escape 2014
Posts: 36
Hi Jim - thanks for your reply. It's a first for me too, never happened with my Boler. I was in the desert so rain was not an issue. 30's at night and 70's during the day. Started out with the light over the bed (both sides), and then the light just in front of the Aircon (but just one side). I could put a finger up into the cavity and the whole area was soaking wet. None of the other ceiling lights are affected.



Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I can honesty say Alisa, your issue is a first both here and over on FGRV. I have never heard of condensation inside the ceiling lights. Whether from cooking or inadequate venting it seems ironic. I have winter camped in every month without having any moisture in the light in my 21 Escape. The window frames yes. Which light or lights are you having issues with?
__________________

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off






» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:50 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Copyright 2012 Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.