Overhead lights condensation - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-22-2016, 05:26 PM   #1

Trailer: Casper-21 Escape 2014
Overhead lights condensation

Hi all - spent the month of January in Cali and although mostly nice during the day, the nights were close to freezing. After a week or so of this weather, some of the overhead lights were turning on all by themselves, with the switch set to off. There was a lot of condensation in the overhead cavity, so I figure the moisture caused a short.

Question... has anyone else experienced this, and how did you fix? I've caulked the area where the wires come through the vinyl. Any other ideas? It's a little hard to create a drip loop for the wires because gravity isn't your friend here

I'm a little concerned about the long term effects of the moisture in the new style ceiling, as well as the longevity of the LED lights in a moist environment. It doesn't appear that there is anywhere for accumulated condensation to go.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Alisa

Casper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:34 PM   #2

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
I would turn up the furnace and leave a window partly open and the maxxfan on low exhaust or at least open to vent the condensation.

Cheers
Doug

PGDriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 05:41 PM   #3

Thanks Doug...already was doing that. I've lived on a boat for years, so air movement is always a priority. Either had the furnace running (or electric heat) with the rear side window cracked and the overhead vent cracked at least a couple inches for air flow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PGDriver View Post
I would turn up the furnace and leave a window partly open and the maxxfan on low exhaust or at least open to vent the condensation.

Cheers
Doug
Old 03-22-2016, 06:48 PM   #4

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper View Post
Hi all - spent the month of January in Cali and although mostly nice during the day, the nights were close to freezing. After a week or so of this weather, some of the overhead lights were turning on all by themselves, with the switch set to off. There was a lot of condensation in the overhead cavity, so I figure the moisture caused a short.

Question... has anyone else experienced this, and how did you fix? I've caulked the area where the wires come through the vinyl. Any other ideas? It's a little hard to create a drip loop for the wires because gravity isn't your friend here

I'm a little concerned about the long term effects of the moisture in the new style ceiling, as well as the longevity of the LED lights in a moist environment. It doesn't appear that there is anywhere for accumulated condensation to go.

Any suggestions would be appreciated. Alisa
curious...do you have the extra insulation in your trailer?
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 06:51 PM   #5

Yes - have the extra insulation/thermal windows and spray foam.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:11 PM   #6

Trailer: pondering.....
I am still evaluating the purchase of an Escape and compiling issues/non-issues on the forum prior to a decision. Although I can not help you with your specific question, I have wondered what if anything can "grow" behind the vinyl and the extra insulation and/or fiberglass over time. ....have not seen the specifications yet for the vinyl material and its foam (?) backing (Casita provided the specifications for their wall covering material, foam and adhesive). If the Escape has a continuous adhesive applied to its back side then maybe condensation can not accumulate on the back side of the vinyl and it may be nothing to be concerned about.
with regard to your led fixtures shorting it is concerning that enough moisture can accumulate behind the vinyl if that is where it is coming from ...to cause a drip and a short.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 07:28 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
I can honesty say Alisa, your issue is a first both here and over on FGRV. I have never heard of condensation inside the ceiling lights. Whether from cooking or inadequate venting it seems ironic. I have winter camped in every month without having any moisture in the light in my 21 Escape. The window frames yes. Which light or lights are you having issues with?
Old 03-22-2016, 07:41 PM   #8

I've got the full insulation package, which in the 21 model has a honeycomb or cored ceiling. There definitely was significant condensation accumulating above the vinyl. Cold fibreglass roof and a warm air pocket between the vinyl and the honeycomb material = condensation. Not sure how to increase air circulation in this area since it's completely covered up. The easiest way out for the water was through the light fixtures.

Not griping about the trailer (I love my Escape), just trying to figure out what is the best way to eliminate the problem. This is a 2014 rig, and I hope to have it for the long term!

Quote:
Originally Posted by freespirit View Post
I am still evaluating the purchase of an Escape and compiling issues/non-issues on the forum prior to a decision. Although I can not help you with your specific question, I have wondered what if anything can "grow" behind the vinyl and the extra insulation and/or fiberglass over time. ....have not seen the specifications yet for the vinyl material and its foam (?) backing (Casita provided the specifications for their wall covering material, foam and adhesive). If the Escape has a continuous adhesive applied to its back side then maybe condensation can not accumulate on the back side of the vinyl and it may be nothing to be concerned about.
with regard to your led fixtures shorting it is concerning that enough moisture can accumulate behind the vinyl if that is where it is coming from ...to cause a drip and a short.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:50 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2016 2ndGen Escape 19' PRAIRIE SCHOONER pulled by 2014 Ram Hemi/8sp
There should not be a problem over the bed with the bedroom window cracked and the fan vent open and fan operating on exhaust.Are you saying there is no reflectix behind the ceiling, just bare fiberglass?
Old 03-22-2016, 07:52 PM   #10

Hi Jim - thanks for your reply. It's a first for me too, never happened with my Boler. I was in the desert so rain was not an issue. 30's at night and 70's during the day. Started out with the light over the bed (both sides), and then the light just in front of the Aircon (but just one side). I could put a finger up into the cavity and the whole area was soaking wet. None of the other ceiling lights are affected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I can honesty say Alisa, your issue is a first both here and over on FGRV. I have never heard of condensation inside the ceiling lights. Whether from cooking or inadequate venting it seems ironic. I have winter camped in every month without having any moisture in the light in my 21 Escape. The window frames yes. Which light or lights are you having issues with?