plastic door holder snapped - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-31-2015, 01:32 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
plastic door holder snapped

Don't know why, but our T-style plastic door holder snapped in half through the middle of the rod portion. The part mounted on the trailer, which still holds the upper half of the broken rod, is attached with rivets. Replacement parts are available locally but we haven't come up with any ideas of how to accomplish the repair. We don't want to drill out the rivets and be left with no good way to attach a new part to the trailer body. Although we saved the broken-off part, the prospects for mending a plastic rod with glue are not promising. Anybody out there have other ideas or experience?
Old 07-31-2015, 01:41 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
You could try calling ETI and seeing if they'll send you 4 replacement rivets. You could then measure the rivet body and drill them out. Buy a new door holder, or 2, and replace it. When I did it on a non Escape I used butyl tape between it and the trailer body which is how Starcraft had done it originally. I don't recall seeing the tape on the Escape but I can't see the trailer from here.

http://www.amazon.com/Camper-Door-Ho.../dp/B00CJ0KS88

I've seen metal ones too.
Old 07-31-2015, 01:53 PM   #3
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
A Vista Plus Screen door? Maybe this manual in the files will give you some assistance: Escape Trailer Owners Community - Downloads - Vista Plus Screen Door
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
You could try calling ETI and seeing if they'll send you 4 replacement rivets. You could then measure the rivet body and drill them out. Buy a new door holder, or 2, and replace it. When I did it on a non Escape I used butyl tape between it and the trailer body which is how Starcraft had done it originally. I don't recall seeing the tape on the Escape but I can't see the trailer from here.

Amazon.com - RV Camper Door Holder with Stop, White - Pack of 2 - Tools Products

I've seen metal ones too.

Ditto. I looked at mine and it appears to be the same sealant used over the windows etc. So installing the new one wouldn't require butyl tape.

If ETI sends you new rivets or tells you the size, great, drill them out. If you can't get an answer and want to get the repair done simply drill them out with an 1/8" drill bit. If that doesn't release the heads then go to 5/32". The largest they could be is 3/16".

I didn't do any measuring but they're about the height of the seat inside. If they're lower then drill to your hearts content. If they're higher mark the drill bit with tape so you don't accidentally drill through the inside liner.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:25 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Could take a piece of plastic rod and drill a hole down the center, then paint the broken ends with clear ABS/PVC pipe glue and stick them in each end. Want me to see if I have a piece of scrap around?

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:54 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15B - 2014 Nissan Frontier SL
Ours has started to yellow, indicating age and possible future breakage. I would be tempted to replace with a metal one if having to rivet it so I would only do this ONCE. Casitas have a metal one. If not that I thought about using rivnuts so I could use small bolts in case I had to do it again.
techfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 02:56 PM   #7
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
plastic door holder snapped

A good periodic wiping with 303 will prevent the yellowing and deterioration. Of course, too late if it's broken.
Old 07-31-2015, 02:58 PM   #8

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
A good periodic wiping with 303 will prevent the yellowing and deterioration. Of course, too late if it's broken.
what's 303?
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 03:01 PM   #9
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Mac View Post
what's 303?

Aerospace protectant. Developed originally for the aviation industry. They like to say it's "spf40 for your stuff".

I've used it for many years. Good stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KN0...zdL&ref=plSrch
Old 07-31-2015, 03:21 PM   #10

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
ETI used to put a clamp-type holder on the trailers to keep that T-bar up against the side of the trailer when not in use. I noticed I didn't get one this time around around on the 19. Another cheap plastic part that's bound to break eventually is the holder for the small outside access doors. When mine go I'll replace with the metal versions.
Old 07-31-2015, 03:30 PM   #11
Commercial Member

The Krylon Fusion series of spray paint is specifically formulated to bind to plastic; I spray my vent covers with it to protect from UV damage. Also makes the propane tank color match the white color of the trailer.

www.RVWidgetWorks.com
Old 07-31-2015, 03:45 PM   #12

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
Could take a piece of plastic rod and drill a hole down the center, then paint the broken ends with clear ABS/PVC pipe glue and stick them in each end. Want me to see if I have a piece of scrap around?
Or put a plastic (or aluminum) tube around the outside and glue. Ours has the holder mentioned by santacruzer. If a tube was used for repair it may not fit the retainer anymore.

Thanks.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 03:49 PM   #13

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
Quote:
Originally Posted by santacruzer View Post
ETI used to put a clamp-type holder on the trailers to keep that T-bar up against the side of the trailer when not in use. I noticed I didn't get one this time around around on the 19. Another cheap plastic part that's bound to break eventually is the holder for the small outside access doors. When mine go I'll replace with the metal versions.
I used this holder, to hold the access door open, for a few days or a week while doing repairs. Came in one day and found it had popped off. Ours was just glued, some kind of tape, to the fiberglass. I pushed it back on and its held since (I don't used it for extended periods anymore.) It should be easy to pop off and replace if desired.

Thanks.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:14 PM   #14

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Aerospace protectant. Developed originally for the aviation industry. They like to say it's "spf40 for your stuff".

I've used it for many years. Good stuff.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00KN0...zdL&ref=plSrch
I probably wouldn't have guessed it.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:14 PM   #15

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvomaha View Post
T-style plastic door holder
Thank god it is a long weekend, and I am headed camping in short order, 'cause my brain is not working so good. For the life of me, I could not figure out what plastic door had a T-style handle. Donna had me thinkin' that plastic knob on the screen door, and nothing anyone said got me thinking straight, until this post.
Quote:
ETI used to put a clamp-type holder on the trailers to keep that T-bar up against the side of the trailer when not in use.
This is what finally clued me in.

Fortunately, even though ours is getting old, it is still working fine. Now protectant, and has never been under cover.

It would be quite easy to just use 4 new blind rivets to reattach a new one.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 04:57 PM   #16

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Thanks to you all for the quick and thoughtful responses. We were inspired by certain posts to go to Menards and look around. We came home with clear plastic tubing, 5/16" inside diameter which is exactly the diameter of the broken plastic rod. We cut a length of tubing and forced it onto each of the rod pieces. It is a very tight fit inside the plastic tubing. Didn't use glue even. It seems like it may work just fine and the door holder is working once again with this nearly invisible, quick fix.
Old 07-31-2015, 04:59 PM   #17

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
And once again, forum members came through with a good fix. Now if I only can remember this if it happens to me...
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:04 PM   #18

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Yes, the plastic one on mine had already caught my eye as being potentially an item that would sooner or later break. My Scamp had a metal one which was strong but it was only plated metal and had begun to rust. Still, I guess I'd rather have a strong rusty one than a plastic one. Wonder if they're available in s/s.

Ron
Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:42 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Be sure that any replacement rivets, screws or metal T-bar can with stand the elements. I was thinking of screws and seemed to recall that the belly band junction is using stainless steel fasteners. Any other opinions on the coating of whatever fastener is used?
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2015, 05:58 PM   #20
Commercial Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvomaha View Post
Thanks to you all for the quick and thoughtful responses. We were inspired by certain posts to go to Menards and look around. We came home with clear plastic tubing, 5/16" inside diameter which is exactly the diameter of the broken plastic rod. We cut a length of tubing and forced it onto each of the rod pieces. It is a very tight fit inside the plastic tubing. Didn't use glue even. It seems like it may work just fine and the door holder is working once again with this nearly invisible, quick fix.
Yippee time!

www.RVWidgetWorks.com