plastic water taste - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-21-2009, 04:49 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
plastic water taste

The water coming through the lines of our new 19' has a definite plastic taste. We have and RV hose and in-line filter, so the taste isn't coming from our source water. Anyone have ideas on how to get rid of it? My only thought is to hook the trailer up to our house water and run both the trailer water faucets for 5 minutes a day or so for the next few weeks. We live in the woods, so I can hook up the sewer line and open the gray valve while the water's going -- the trees will appreciate it.

I've filled my fresh water tank, and plan on a drain/refill every few days for it, also.

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:10 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Re: plastic water taste

Ours was like that too, and has pretty much gone away. We still take other water for drinking and coffee. We cook and clean with the tank water no problem.

I keep meaning to put a bunch of baking soda into the system, then let it sit for a bit. Hmmm.....now would be a good time since I am thinking about it.

I would think the tank would be the biggest culprit, as the water lines and fixtures are used in construction all the time, with no effect on taste.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

I too was wondering what to do, so I called and was told to run H2O through for several minutes. Haven't done that yet, as we are having restrictions. However, we are going to the coast this weekend so will give that a try. I hadn't thought of the baking soda remedy. Thanks Jim.
Old 07-21-2009, 05:24 PM   #4

Yeah, I flushed mine out lots and got rid of most of the smell. I used to be able to smell it easily, but now can only taste it. I accidentally boiled some for adding hot water to a shot of espresso last weekend, and the taste was quite obvious. Our tap water here in Calgary is really good too.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 07-21-2009, 06:00 PM   #5

Ours went away after a while.. we also put a PUR filter on inside Water Faucet (as well as the inline filter).. I thought it worked out nicely and didn't really have too much of a problem with water (taste)..

favorite quote: "Put the candle back"
JeffZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:14 PM   #6

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19

So Jim, how much is "a bunch" when adding baking soda? I'm thinking of doing the same, shoveling in maybe 4-6 tablespoons before filling the tank with water. More? Less?

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 10:54 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wray
So Jim, how much is "a bunch" when adding baking soda? I'm thinking of doing the same, shoveling in maybe 4-6 tablespoons before filling the tank with water. More? Less?

Bruce
Well, I just dumped a small box in yesterday and will rinse it out this weekend. I had no idea what to do, and you really can't do too much.