Plug issues hitch - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-29-2014, 12:39 AM   #1

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Plug issues hitch

I bought a Highlander the plug in for the hitch is a three prong it should be the round kind for the Escape trailer. Anyone know about how I get it converted? Is this a common issue?
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 12:58 AM   #2

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
You need a 7-prong connection and you need a brake controller. Unless you are a DIY guy, I suggest you take it to U-haul or a hitch place and get it wired properly, and get the brake controller installed.
They can take a look at your hitch receiver at the same time to ensure it will do the job.
Never heard of three-prong plug.
Old 04-29-2014, 01:23 AM   #3

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Well I don't know it might have been two prongs it was oval not round like my horse trailer plug and I guess you can tell by my lack of useful info Im prob not a DIY guy. I know a good hitch place I will take it in to them. It's a lot to learn all this RV stuff .
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:26 AM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Unless it has changed recently, the Highlander comes with no trailer wiring in stock form, but has an optional dealer-installed setup for trailer lights (only). This includes a converter to adapt the Toyota's separate turn and stop (brake) light wiring to the primitive combined stop/turn system still used by almost all RV trailers.The trailer light connector is the common "4-pin flat" (example at eTrailer of tug end of 4-pin connector)

To run the Escape's brakes it must be converted (by replacement or by addition of a plug-in adapter) to the RV-style 7-pin connector (example), and a trailer brake controller and its wiring must be added. While that's being done, it is common to add a power wire to charge the trailer's battery, as well. This is all custom work, but it is routinely done by hitch shops (as well as by do-it-yourselfers).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:39 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox hunt View Post
Well I don't know it might have been two prongs it was oval not round like my horse trailer plug...
The "flat" connector body could be described as oval, because the ends are round. The "flat" name refers to just the general shape, resulting from all four pins in a straight row. One of the pins is reversed, so the vehicle side connector actually has three sockets and one protruding pin.

Horse trailers may have the round-bodied 7-pin "RV" style connector with 6 flat pins surrounding one round one, but may have the commercial truck style of round-bodied connector with 7 round pins. Older ones might even have the round-bodied connector with 6 round pins.
Old 04-29-2014, 08:50 AM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
I'd have a dealer do the upgrade - U Haul hitch wiring usually uses the Scotchlock connectors which let water into the splice and eventually fail - I know this from experience.

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 10:45 AM   #7

Trailer: No more Escape 21
It's not hard job to wire the Highlander. I have done it on 4 Highlanders. Here's a link on how to do it.

Wiring for 7 Wire Trailer Setup - Toyota Nation Forum : Toyota Car and Truck Forums
Old 04-29-2014, 11:11 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna
My 2005 Sienna w/factory tow package came with the 4-pin connector. When I had it wired for the brake controller, and the Class III hitch placed, the 7-pin was installed. I now have two set-ups. One for the small trailers and one for my Escape. (Not being knowledgeable in this area, I relied on the hitch guys. Also that tow package came with the 1 1/4" hitch receiver, which cannot be used with a WD Hitch.)
Old 04-29-2014, 03:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by tractors1 View Post
I'd have a dealer do the upgrade - U Haul hitch wiring usually uses the Scotchlock connectors which let water into the splice and eventually fail - I know this from experience.
I've never heard of a Toyota dealer doing custom trailer wiring; in my experience, they install Toyota-provided equipment, but they farm out both aftermarket hitch installations and wiring to outside shops. This, of course, may vary according to local practice. If I needed this work done by someone else, I would go straight to one of the hitch shops, to clarify communications and probably reduce cost. In my case, I did my own (on a Toyota Sienna).

U-Haul work has been the subject of some controversy. There are U-Haul company stores (which are usually relatively complete rental, towing, and packing/moving supply businesses), and there are dealers (which can be anything - one of those in Edmonton is a carpet store with some trailers outside and one in Osoyoos sells needlepoint supplies). Even the company stores vary widely in the quality of work reported in other forums, from outstanding to blatantly incompetent. I would not count on the U-Haul name to indicate much of anything - good or bad.
Old 04-29-2014, 03:24 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L View Post
My 2005 Sienna w/factory tow package came with the 4-pin connector...
Also that tow package came with the 1 1/4" hitch receiver, which cannot be used with a WD Hitch.)
Yes, those are typical... I'll just note that the factory-installed package is only tow preparation (additional cooling capacity); the genuine Toyota wiring and hitch are accessories which are installed by the dealer or (in the U.S.) at the "port" distribution point. The distinction may not be important, but the "factory package" terminology does cause some confusion.

The Highlander's OEM (genuine Toyota) hitch may be 2"; I'm not sure.
Old 04-29-2014, 05:25 PM   #11

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
The Highlander's OEM (genuine Toyota) hitch may be 2"; I'm not sure.
Our 2013 Highlander OEM hitch is 2".