Portable AC/DC Refrigerator? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-19-2015, 02:08 PM   #21

Trailer: Sold 2016 17B / looking for another
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff and Karen View Post

My question was more focused on any experiences members of this forum have had with using portable AC/DC refrigerators to fill in when traveling or camping in weather that exceeds the maximum temperatures their refrigerators were designed for. Since I'm sorta lusting for an Engel (and considering what Engel's cost), I want to be sure I'm making the right decision before I hit BUY on Amazon.
We camp extensively in hot weather in the desert Southwest in a VW Westphalia campervan. We use an Edgestar portable AC/DC fridge similar to the Engels but a lot cheaper. It functions well on DC with low drawdown of the battery. Amazon carries them, too. Edgestar makes 43-, 63-, and 80-qt models.
Canadark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 02:40 PM   #22
grc

Trailer: Four Wheel Camper
Another brand for a 12v compressor refrigerator is Whynter which is sold thru Home Depot.

Portable Freezers - Freezers & Ice Makers -Â*The Home Depot

For the Engel models, what is interesting is the comparison of the performance data for the same volume capacity between a front door model, SR70, and a top load model,MT60. So for the same manufacturer, same capacity and same compressor (assumed), the top load model is noticeably more efficient (colder hold temperature and less run time) at the same cooling setting. Their run performance data is taken with the door remaining closed.
grc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 04:49 PM   #23

Trailer: 2016 21' Escape (usetaowna a 19, a Burro and 2 Casitas)
I use an Engel MT45-45 qt ac/dc refrig/freezer. Works well, sips power but is a little pricey. Plus into the 110v in the bed of the truck or the 110 or 12v in the trailer. This is a decent size for us to use as a backup.

Greg
Greggo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 11:39 AM   #24

Trailer: Escape #2 - 2017 ‘21; 2018 Silverado 2500 (diesel, crew cab, long box, 4X4, SnugTop, air bags)
I think I may have been wrong

I initially posted about our new, large, two-door refrigerator and my concerns about it's ability to cool when towing (and set to propane). Refrigerator temperatures were getting up to the mid-45's, and that's not good.

Now I think this problem may have been because of my newby mistake. As I thought through the issue, I realized that even though I had the propane turned on and the refrigerator set to propane, I also needed to turn the battery master switch ON. If I understand these things correctly, the battery master switch must be turned on to power a controller that turns the propane on and off based on demand. (I may not be using the right words . . . as a retired school principal I'm good at talking and not much else.)

We've been on the road again for a couple of weeks, and while traveling this time the propane AND the battery master switch have been turned on and the refrigerator has worked well. Admittedly, the weather hasn't been hot, and we expect challenges with very warm weather, but I'm still pleased.
Jeff and Karen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2015, 01:28 PM   #25

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The only time that battery switch is off is if the trailer is in storage, otherwise it needs to be on for items to work inside your trailer, including the refer on propane. the refer has a 12v circuit board computer that needs power to operate.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:47 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape #2 - 2017 ‘21; 2018 Silverado 2500 (diesel, crew cab, long box, 4X4, SnugTop, air bags)
There you go. It looks like that was my problem. Thanks Jim.
Old 04-13-2015, 01:54 PM   #27

please let us know if the dual door RMD 8555 keeps your food cold enough, now that you know to leave the switch "on"
Old 04-13-2015, 02:09 PM   #28

It does do far. I have a high quality, calibrated thermometer that I trust, and it shows the temp consistently in the mid to high 30's with the refrigerator set on five bars and the ambient temperature in the 70's. The real test will come when traveling in temperatures in the 90's or higher.
Old 04-13-2015, 02:11 PM   #29

Is 5 bars the lowest setting or midrange?
Old 04-13-2015, 02:26 PM   #30

Five bars the coldest setting. I keep it at 5 bars during the day and 4 bars at night. The refrigerator appears to be working as hard as it can, or as hard as it was designed to work, and it's certainly doing better than the previous model. Reace mentioned a warranty modification that will soon be available for this refrigerator - a fan upgrade that turns the fan on about 20 degrees (if I remember correctly) lower than the current fan. Reace told me he will post details to the forum when he knows more.
Old 01-03-2018, 02:55 PM   #31

Trailer: RV
I believe that EdgeStar FP630 it's best road trip portable Freezer - https://grapefrost.com/portable-freezers/#edgestar Because the FP630 may be powered via AC (1A) or DC (5.5A/2.75A) power and comes with cables for both applications. I like this fridge.
BrainKilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 12:22 PM   #32

Trailer: 2017 19 Escape
I had an Edgestar which worked well except for the hinges. They broke even under light use. I actually found some metal door hinges that worked perfectly and were much, much cheaper than what Edgestar wanted for their replacement hinges. The one big negative is even their smallest fridge is very heavy and that’s before u load it up with food. So I sold it and bought a Canyon Cooler which performs as well as a Yeti, but is cheaper. Definetly more portable if that is a factor for u. Granted, the Edgestar did work well especially as a freezer, but u always need ac or dc.
Moaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2018, 01:25 PM   #33

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Not to be negative, to each their own, but one can buy a whole lot of ice for the cost of one of these top-end models (~$1K for some) and never need an electrical outlet - AC or DC! But as Donna D always reminds us, YMMV.
War Eagle is offline   Reply With Quote