Portable drill to run down stabilzer jacks? - Page 5 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2018, 11:46 PM   #41

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by msweet View Post
I sometimes use a small battery powered impact driver with a 3/4” socket when we are in a hurry. It makes a racket but it’s quick.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Like some others, I tried it once, hated the noise and now crank by hand. I like fine tuning the load and I don't think that I could do that as well with the impact driver.

Quote:
Originally Posted by h2owmn View Post
Has anyone modified a hand jack to use a drill adapter to raise/lower the trailer? Is that too much load for a drill?
If you mean the front jack, I have. Easy to do, the gear is only roll pinned to the shaft. Tried it with my drill. almost broke my wrist. Used the impact driver and it worked but didn't sound happy. Didn't work primarily because of the axial load on the front sleeve bushing and not even a sleeve bushing at the rear. Wouldn't last long. I returned it to original.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yardsale View Post
but it is symbolic of the attitude that we should let machines do the work wherever possible (power assisted bikes!).
You dissing folks with electric bikes? Seriously, we get more use from these than we do with our mountain bikes that take up a lot of room in the back of the truck. You don't get much biking if they're too much effort to bring along. Yah, yah, done thousands of miles with the mountain bikes on the back of the trailer. Sometimes more effort than it's worth and not great on rough roads.

The folding electric bikes only take up a small corner of the truck box so we usually always have them with us. Contrary to what you might think we actually pedal them manually unless we come to a really steep hill. Normally we pedal manually, go do whatever and there are times that we've returned home without actually using the electric assist. But knowing that it's there allows us the peace of mind to go a lot further from home without thinking that maybe we're being a bit too ambitious.

Ron
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P4090030.jpg (344.6 KB, 98 views)

Ron in BC is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 10:29 AM   #42

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
For the most part I am in your camp Dave. Electric bikes come to mind. If you truly need one and the exercise would cause grief okay, but I know of lots of folks that have them for the cool factor, and ease of getting around, when in fact many most certainly could use the exercise of a regular bike.

We just parked for the night at a Walmart in Butte, Montana, checked on the bikes on the cargo bin, and they are converted in snow. Had clear sailing from Calgary to Helena, Montana, then started to hit snowy and icy conditions. Lots of it in the pass, then we hit a snow storm too. Sure glad I kept the winter tires on.
Electric bikes are not necessarily a substitute for physical activity. I do have an electric bike that I have used for commuting (about 20km each way to/from work). The electric bike works with pedal assist so I am normally peddling hard the entire way. Of course I can cycle much faster for longer durations with the pedal assist than I could on one of my other non-electric bikes, so my trip to/from work will take about 2/3 to 1/2 the time of a non-electric bike. Don't want to tire myself out cycling so that I cannot go on my daily 12km run.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 11:22 AM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Electric bikes are not necessarily a substitute for physical activity. I do have an electric bike that I have used for commuting (about 20km each way to/from work). The electric bike works with pedal assist so I am normally peddling hard the entire way. Of course I can cycle much faster for longer durations with the pedal assist than I could on one of my other non-electric bikes, so my trip to/from work will take about 2/3 to 1/2 the time of a non-electric bike. Don't want to tire myself out cycling so that I cannot go on my daily 12km run.
I am talking about those that buy them purely for recreational use, when in fact they could use the exercise. I have a copy sets of friends like this, that seem to go out of there way to avoid physical effort.

If you are already in good health, then it is less of an issue.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2018, 12:33 PM   #44

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19
My wife can now ride a bike again because it is electric! She had to stop before because her knees could not do the hills. Now she peddles everywhere with just the aid on the hills.
As with the drill on the jacks, people do things for many reasons...good or bad.
Old 01-28-2018, 04:11 AM   #45

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19
I used a little Skil battery-powered screwdriver to put them up and down at first, and I definitely don't recommend it. I ended up burning it out after a few days. Definitely stick with an actual drill if you do go this route.

Sent from my moto x4 using Tapatalk
Defenestrator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2018, 08:16 PM   #46

Trailer: 2018 5TA
We use a DeWalt 12 volt drill. Works like a darn! We also have an impact drill but use it only if one wants to make neighbours think that construction's going on (them things are LOUD!). Really, we just take the impact drill along on longer trips in case the other drill breaks.

After years of hand cranking up and down the stabilizers, using the drill is a delight.
However, after a few years of hand cranking the tongue hitch up, and down, and up, and down, we also got an electric tongue jack. So we might just be lazy...
But then, as an aunt of mine used to say, "I'm too old to be embarrassed.".
ian&denis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2018, 08:13 PM   #47

At Quartzsite there was one fellow that used an impact driver only 200 yards away. I considered putting a potato in his exhaust it was so annoyingly loud.

..... Oh wait, that is what you do with gensets.

Actually, a genset is much quieter.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 02-12-2018, 08:14 PM   #48

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2015 F150 Ecoboost
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Actually, a genset is much quieter.
It definitely is, but at least the drill isn't run for hours.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:17 PM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
It definitely is, but at least the drill isn't run for hours.
True that.
Old 02-13-2018, 09:50 AM   #50

Trailer: 2014 5.0TA "The HAB"
http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/at...7&d=1516941731

Sweet Caterham!

Tford is offline   Reply With Quote