Portable drill to run down stabilzer jacks? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-25-2018, 10:57 AM   #21

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
Wow! A child reading a 'real' book ... How refreshing!

On the subject at hand, we use a Makita portable drill with the bit that Donna mentioned. Not only is the drill easier on the knees (less time kneeling in the rain), you never know when you're going to need a drill ... HA!

Jan

We do not remember days, we remember moments.
- Cesare Pavese
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:59 AM   #22

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
That is one lucky boy, Dave. (and lucky grandparents, too!)

My oldest granddaughters (9 and 12) have camped with me since they were @2, when one of them had to sleep on the available floor space with her legs under the dinette bed in the previous 8.5 ft trailer. Now one of them runs the drill and they are proud to do a lot of the chores on the set up and take down list. I should add that my current Chalet Aframe (bought used) is an off-road model that sits 26" off the ground. The first time I tried to crank it took FOREVER. Hence, the drill.

I also bring these and often put them at the full height (8") with an insulite pad under each. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01758QNAU...a-303670661438

Has anyone modified a hand jack to use a drill adapter to raise/lower the trailer? Is that too much load for a drill?
Old 01-25-2018, 11:19 AM   #23

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Sometimea the rears have to travel near full extension and that is a lot of cranking. BAL doesn't recommend using a power tool perhaps because the screw is harder metal than the jack frame and female thread so I go slow with my variable speed impact then finish off with hand crank.
It is/was my understanding that the stabilizers work better if not at full extension, but somewhere around 45°. I use the legos to keep from going to full extension. As a result, it doesn’t require a lot of cranking.
Old 01-25-2018, 11:41 AM   #24

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21 build Sept
Interesting thoughts about the noise of the impact driver and I'll try a drill and see if it is quieter. But at 72 I need to save my strength for more important tasks .. ... like opening a beer
Old 01-25-2018, 11:50 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I'm another hand crank user. While I carry both a drill & impact driver, I figure when I reach the point where I can't bend over and turn the crank, I should look for another way of traveling. Plus I really don't like the sound of an impact wrench at a campground...
Old 01-25-2018, 12:48 PM   #26

Trailer: 2018 17A
A big factor to me is bending or kneeling. The knees aren't what they used to be. It seems like the bending effort is about the same for either method. Thanks for the input.
noblets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 12:56 PM   #27

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblets View Post
A big factor to me is bending or kneeling. The knees aren't what they used to be. It seems like the bending effort is about the same for either method. Thanks for the input.
Not to mention wandering around the campsite, into the vehicle, in and out of the trailer, looking for the spare battery for the drill.
Old 01-25-2018, 01:46 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I'm another hand crank user. While I carry both a drill & impact driver, I figure when I reach the point where I can't bend over and turn the crank, I should look for another way of traveling. Plus I really don't like the sound of an impact wrench at a campground...
My thoughts also. Too much effort is spent these days by people trying to reduce their level of physical activity/exertion when the majority of those people should really be doing the opposite. I am a strong proponent of staying active and staying fit. Looking for ways to avoid this just doesn't cut it for me.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:15 PM   #29
LRL

Trailer: E23Q; previously: 2017 E21
I think almost any portable drill would work. I've never used the hand crank, and my drill's battery stays charged for weeks. So, while I carry a charger with me, I've yet to use it on trips up to two weeks duration. While I'm sure the hand crank works just fine, I can't think of anything much easier than holding the drill for a few seconds to either raise or lower the stabilizers.
Arcata, CA
LRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:21 PM   #30
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
My thoughts also. Too much effort is spent these days by people trying to reduce their level of physical activity/exertion when the majority of those people should really be doing the opposite. I am a strong proponent of staying active and staying fit. Looking for ways to avoid this just doesn't cut it for me.
Me too! I'm finding being retired is pretty hard on my body. I'm NOT getting the exercise I really need even if I have all the time in the world to do it. Age is creeping up. It seems I've aged more in the past 3 years than the first 60+. The old saying about wearing out instead of rusting out really applies now and I hope to pay better attention...
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:32 PM   #31

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Aging

Wait till you fall down and smack your head on a plate glass window. Two weeks later and I still hurt. Rita said she thought a 300 pound owl flew into the window. And I hadn’t even been imbibing. I’m a Hand crank guy but the drill people don’t bother me at all. Course my hearing is about gone and I’m often heard to say “When did they come in?” “When you were sleeping in the lawn chair.” Says she.

Iowa Dave
Old 01-25-2018, 02:46 PM   #32

Trailer: 2018 Escape 17A double dinette
Amen, sister! (to Donna, re:#30)
Old 01-25-2018, 02:50 PM   #33

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:

I don’t consider the hand crank a legitimate form of exercise, just a time consuming annoyance. If this counts as exercise for you then you should consider ditching all automated kitchen appliances as well. Hand beating and mixing will get you in shape quick! [emoji6]
Old 01-25-2018, 03:30 PM   #34
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
While not a "legitimate" form of exercise, every little bit helps. After my aged Mother fell down again, a physical therapist came to the house. He talked about muscle memory and the need for balance. Exercise and bending at the waist, knees and neck were all to help my Mother maintain her balance. Then he looked at me and said... it's not too soon for you either.
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:52 PM   #35

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
I don’t consider the hand crank a legitimate form of exercise, just a time consuming annoyance. If this counts as exercise for you then you should consider ditching all automated kitchen appliances as well. Hand beating and mixing will get you in shape quick! [emoji6]
The hand crank does help to keep those arm and shoulder muscles toned. Combine that with a bit more excercise on the front leveller jack, a few walks around the campground, and maybe a 10k run before eating that delicious steak grilled on the BBQ, and you will have achieved your excercise goals for the day. Will also help you to sleep better at night.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 04:09 PM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19
I’m another proponent of “you can’t get too much exercise.” One of my goals while traveling with the Escape was “how do I maintain my fitness level?” I carry my TRX straps and use them at the campground, I stretch every day, walk as much as possible and constantly practice balance. A week camping = about 100,000+ steps. Crank those levelers, crank the tongue jack - earn that cold beer! Be thankful for all we get to do!
Old 01-25-2018, 05:04 PM   #37

Trailer: 2018 17A
Ya know, I'm so happy that you folks can do what you can do, run races, do 10,000 pushups, etc. I have to be happy at my level. If my age and condition tell me that I should look for easier ways to do things, I will. Then I can keep on with what I love for as long as possible. There's a lot of country out there that needs to be seen.
noblets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 05:35 PM   #38

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by noblets View Post
I don't mean to disparage those that have a problem bending, only those that are just lazy. You can always find a way to get a bit of exercise. Here at Quartzsite I walk to the 76 gas station for coffee every morning, around 2 miles round trip. I see 10's if not 100's doing the same thing on their ATVs.

At 73, I don't do quite as much in the way of long hiking as I used to, but I agree with those that suggest physical activity. One thing I really miss here at the Q is a lap pool. Swimming is an excellent activity that is easy on the joints.
Old 01-25-2018, 07:19 PM   #39

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
Interesting thread. Pat and I climb 3000 vertical feet 3-4 times per week back country skiing but all that is necessary to maintain health and delay the effects of aging is taking a brisk walk for a total of 90 minutes each week. Drives me crazy to see folks driving to the shower houses at camp grounds and then complaining about how they are "getting old". ( I am 67). Not sure that using a drill to manage the levelers is, in it self a big deal, but it is symbolic of the attitude that we should let machines do the work wherever possible (power assisted bikes!).
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 10:34 PM   #40

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
For the most part I am in your camp Dave. Electric bikes come to mind. If you truly need one and the exercise would cause grief okay, but I know of lots of folks that have them for the cool factor, and ease of getting around, when in fact many most certainly could use the exercise of a regular bike.

We just parked for the night at a Walmart in Butte, Montana, checked on the bikes on the cargo bin, and they are converted in snow. Had clear sailing from Calgary to Helena, Montana, then started to hit snowy and icy conditions. Lots of it in the pass, then we hit a snow storm too. Sure glad I kept the winter tires on.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote