Portable heaters - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 12-30-2015, 08:04 PM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I have a Vornado Whole Room. Runs both 750 watt and 1500 watt. Constant fan and a thermostat. I set it for 60 degrees at night and there's no cycling on and off, almost like a quiet white nose. Heat comes on when needed based on the thermostat. I only run the propane furnace during the day. But then I'm always hooked up to a current bush. Works for me.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 08:25 PM   #22

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19' (sold), Escape 5.0 as of August 2019 (sold)
We have the same Vornado we use at home and really like it. Now I'm thinking we will try it in our Escape. Thanks for the suggestion! [emoji4]
JStelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 09:40 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
We have a pelonis heater we got 3 years ago. I like the heater, and the fan is pretty quiet. My only complaint is that the thermostat is on the cord, and hence sits behind the heater. As a result, we have to turn the temperature control on the heater way down. But it keeps us cozy on cool nights, and doesn't take up much storage space under the bed
Old 12-31-2015, 11:31 AM   #24

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
It looks like these heaters all run on 120 volt. Are there any 12 volt heaters out there that people use?

I've heard that some forum members use 12 volt electrical blankets but that they are quite the drain on the trailer's 12 volt system. I'm guessing 12 volt electrical heaters may not work too well for us.

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:12 PM   #25

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Electrical heat is simply too power-intensive to work off RV batteries. Consider the heat output of your average hair dryer. 1000W of power. Run that for an hour in your trailer, it might be enough to keep you warm if it's not too cold outside. But that 1000Wh (watt-hours) equates to 80Ah (amp-hours) at 12v (watts = amps times volts). You've just killed your battery in an hour of usage

2013 Escape 19 ("The Dog House") , 2018 Ford F150
dbailey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 12:18 PM   #26

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeonW View Post
We have a pelonis heater we got 3 years ago. I like the heater, and the fan is pretty quiet. My only complaint is that the thermostat is on the cord, and hence sits behind the heater. As a result, we have to turn the temperature control on the heater way down. But it keeps us cozy on cool nights, and doesn't take up much storage space under the bed
I'm another fan of the Pelonis Ceramic Disk heater. While expensive, what I like is the fan & heat output slowing down as it reaches set temperature, then speeding up if the outside temperature requires more heat. Makes for a very quiet fan equipped electric heater.

I have been told that the newer versions are not as reliable as the older ones - mine is a 1986 heater so I can't speak for the current model.
Old 12-31-2015, 01:56 PM   #27

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... We use a SeaBreeze model SF11T. Very thin so it fits into the cupboard under the fridge. When in use it takes up little floor space. Cost about $40. Canadian. http://www.seabreeze.ca Keeps the 5.0TA toasty on low...runs very quiet. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2015, 02:58 PM   #28

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
We run about like everyone else, small 1000 watt unit to take off the chill on a cool night, or use both electric and propane to make it toasty and then stay comfortable with electric once there. No hookup, run the propane furnace and heat up a teakettle of water for hot chocolate.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote