Portable TV antenna question - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2013, 07:30 PM   #1

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Portable TV antenna question

Has anyone used this compact little antenna or one similar on the trailer while camped out? I saw the reception it gets on a friend's HD television at his home and was impressed. His house is 15 miles from the transmitter but wow that's good, I said.
Attached Thumbnails
Phillips.jpg  
MyronL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 08:06 PM   #2

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I haven't it, but that's an amplified antenna, which means it is an antenna and a built-in amplifier which needs a power supply: you need to have a small amount of 120V AC power available, or find an adapter from the trailer's 12V DC power to the 6V DC used by the amplifier.

The Philips web page for the SDV2940/27 includes an FAQ which contradicts itself, both saying that it is omnidirectional (doesn't matter which way it faces), and that signal strength can be improved by adjusting the direction it faces (meaning it is directional). If it is directional, that will help reception in marginal areas, but you need to be willing to tune the aim, which can be a pain with digital. I think it is directional, both from the shape and from the fact that the owners' manual says
Quote:
For best results the antenna should be facing the transmitter location.
and
Quote:
Adjustment of the antenna direction will be done by rotating the mast in its mount.
Since this antenna is suitable for outdoor use, it has the potential to be mounted on an external mast which can be raised up for better reception. How much do you value TV reception?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
I saw the reception it gets on a friend's HD television at his home and was impressed. His house is 15 miles from the transmitter but wow that's good, I said.
Welcome to the world of digital TV transmission: it works clearly, or it doesn't work at all... there's no fuzzy signals in digital.

I don't think there are any transmitters within 15 miles of my house, but I can usually get all of the local stations (there are half a dozen) with a suitable non-amplified antenna. I don't think I've ever lived within 15 miles of more than one transmitter...
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2013, 09:22 PM   #3

Exactly, Brian.

I like camping without connections to utilities and paying only for the spot. Everything else we could bring. With the Escape, we are so very good to go that way. Great heater, stove, fridge, lights, marvelous bed. Buck Rodgers roll over. It’s an on-the-road-again self-reliant, perfect earth-space capsule. I only need enough water to flush, and just enough electricity to keep my basic appliances functional. One day, of course, I will eat those words and buy into solar. But not yet.

OK, so what do I do when I get tired of reading and want to catch some television? Sometimes you can’t help yourself; the news hour, Mad Men, Charlie Rose, the game, whatever. Got a neat, light, 19-inch flat screen LED TV. Also got a 400watt inverter I always keep in the car. If an (amplified) antenna like that Phillips can bring in the signal (a big IF, I know,) will my twin 6-volt batteries be up to it? Um, for an hour and a half, maybee? And not be lights out afterward? This, I guess, is my next question.

I have read the threads on the subject of DC and it's technical dance power. I like Shakespeare too, but needed the "For Dummies" pamphlet.
Old 11-11-2013, 07:00 AM   #4

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Myron,
Did you not get the Winegard antenna Escape installs?
Old 11-11-2013, 07:27 PM   #5

Nope...really not much of a tv guy when on the road. I did however go for having the trailer wired cable ready, though. Better to have and not need than to need and not have. If I pull the trigger on an antenna it will be set up to be easily broke down, flexible and portable, likely on a mast bolted to the back bumper.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:23 PM   #6

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
I'm breaking down and we're actually considering a television. Since I have mixed emotions about this, I want it to be portable. Has anyone used the Winegard Rayzar Amplified portable indoor HD antenna? (See: Winegard Rayzar Amplified Portable Indoor HD Antenna - Winegard RV-RZ85 - Over-the-Air Antennas - Camping World ). Any recommendations on a good portable antenna? Thanks!
JaneM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2014, 05:20 PM   #7

Here are pictures of my antenna....
Attached Thumbnails
Antenna.jpg   ant-4a.jpg  
Old 02-16-2014, 10:12 PM   #8

Trailer: 2016 Escape 21
Thanks!
JaneM. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 05:16 AM   #9

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaneM. View Post
I'm breaking down and we're actually considering a television. Since I have mixed emotions about this, I want it to be portable. Has anyone used the Winegard Rayzar Amplified portable indoor HD antenna? (See: Winegard Rayzar Amplified Portable Indoor HD Antenna - Winegard RV-RZ85 - Over-the-Air Antennas - Camping World ). Any recommendations on a good portable antenna? Thanks!
When I was looking into a OTA antenna for the house I read good things about the Mohu Leaf, looks like the same principle. They are fairly short range so may be of limited use if you live or camp in more rural areas.