Possible AC/DC Fridge Replacement Fit - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-19-2014, 10:51 PM   #21

Trailer: 2015 E'21 - 'Velocity'. Tow: Toyota Tacoma V6, 4X4, manual.
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
The dual 6 Volt batteries offered by Escape can provide an estimated 232 Ah of 12 Volt power.
Are you factoring in the fact that even deep cycle batteries suffer when more than half the available Ah is withdrawn? So, to extend the lifespan of those expensive batteries, you should estimate half of 232, or 131 Ah is available on a regular basis.

"Very few lead-acid batteries die of old age. Most are murdered by their owners", said someone who knows far more about batteries than I.

And even worse, a trip to where the sun never shines, like the Pacific Northwest? Or so I have heard...

--
Alan
alanmalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 10:53 PM   #22

Yes, "116 Ah", says someone better at simple division than I...
Old 07-19-2014, 11:01 PM   #23

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:

The link is the spec sheet showing the dimensions and models for all of the NovaKool fridges. There are some that may work (at least dimension wise) to replace the 6.7 CF Dometic RB 8555 as well.

F
http://www.novakool.com/products/sin...al2013_002.pdf
Don't know why they're so modest about being around for over 20 years. They've sure been around a lot longer than that. I bought a unit in 1982 for a boat I was building. It worked really well although with 8D batteries and a diesel generator I didn't really pay much attention to its' power consumption.

I'd buy one again although if I do it'll be to make a top loading chest type unit under my settee and I'll use a holding plate.

For those that have a 12 volt charging line from their tow vehicle and find the draw of propane unit on 12 volts to be a little more than their tug can supply, this unit should be able to more easily be run on 12 volts underway.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2014, 11:11 PM   #24

Quote:
...Or am I missing something?
Well, as long as I am spending someone else's money, here is a suggestion...

Retrofit the existing ETI installed refrigerator with one of these:
//http://www.westmarine.com/buy/waeco-adler-barbour--cu-100-air-cooled-coldmachine-compressor--11861085

The compressor could run during the heat of the day, the propane at night. Powerful cooling during the day when the solar panel is contributing, then quiet and no-battery cooling at night. Best of both worlds, perhaps? No woodwork design changes necessary. The compressor could be located remotely in a storage area with forced air cooling (which I have actually done on a boat). The evaporator is quite space efficient so you won't loose food storage space.

Send us pictures...

-
Alan
Old 07-19-2014, 11:23 PM   #25
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Well, as long as I am spending someone else's money, here is a suggestion...

Retrofit the existing ETI installed refrigerator with one of these:
//http://www.westmarine.com/buy/waeco-adler-barbour--cu-100-air-cooled-coldmachine-compressor--11861085

The compressor could run during the heat of the day, the propane at night. Powerful cooling during the day when the solar panel is contributing, then quiet and no-battery cooling at night. Best of both worlds, perhaps? No woodwork design changes necessary. The compressor could be located remotely in a storage area with forced air cooling (which I have actually done on a boat). The evaporator is quite space efficient so you won't loose food storage space.

Send us pictures...

-
Alan
Alan, now you're biting off more than I can chew.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:26 PM   #26
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamman View Post
Batteries should not be discharged below 50% - so you need to figure 116 amp-hours.
Yes, that's true. I stand corrected. See, I always miss something. I'm also told that various battery monitors also alert you when they get too low, and some can prevent excessive discharge.

So, based on that, about 2 and a half days with just the fridge, no recharge, and about half that with everything running. But, with adequate solar and the batteries to store it, boondocking is still not out of the question.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:34 PM   #27

Quote:
... and the batteries to store it...
Last week I suggested we needed a 5 kWh, 110v, 30 pound, $100 lithium super battery.

I'm still waiting...

Old 07-19-2014, 11:57 PM   #28
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by alanmalk View Post
Last week I suggested we needed a 5 kWh, 110v, 30 pound, $100 lithium super battery.

I'm still waiting...

I'll get in line. I want ten.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:03 AM   #29

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
I agree that planning for discharge to the 50% level makes sense, but that's not a magic level. Each discharge cycle reduces the battery life, and deeper discharge uses more life. If you discharge deeper a couple of times a year, the battery won't suddenly die as a result... assuming you don't run it completely flat.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2014, 12:12 AM   #30
Site Team

Man, this forum is like going to RV University. Love it.

Just looked up the Go Power system online and was digging through the specs. If you have two of the 160W panels, Carmanah says it will maintain your battery charge up to 18 amps per hour depending on the light level. So, one panel can give you up to 9 amps per hour. I've seen other comments here that show an output of more like 6.75 to 7 amps. That supports the theory that going with a DC fridge is not only practical, but will work for boondocking.
Old 07-20-2014, 08:03 AM   #31

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Doug, you are right, I use the 60% rule, but either way you only have approximately 100-120 available for use which clearly he does not need for using 50 for the refer and maybe 20 for pump or furnace. So next day the solar should refill his tank so to speak.
Old 07-20-2014, 02:29 PM   #32
Site Team

These are interesting too. Like an Ice chest, but with a Danfoss compressor, up to 49 qt capacity (alot of beer) run super cold, and only .7 Ah power consumption. I'd want a built in, but this might work anyway as a beer storage area -- that way the main fridge doesn't drop temp opening it up all the time...

http://www.icemate.com.au/Evakool%20...SAKOOLMATE.pdf
Old 07-20-2014, 02:50 PM   #33

I have often toyed with the idea of getting one of these just for potables, plug in outside, saves not only the refer but open/closing the screen. You may want to add a 12v exterior plug option next to your 120v plug, may come in handy down the road.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:48 PM   #34
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I have often toyed with the idea of getting one of these just for potables, plug in outside, saves not only the refer but open/closing the screen. You may want to add a 12v exterior plug option next to your 120v plug, may come in handy down the road.
Yessir, the outside 12V plug is on the build list.
Old 07-21-2014, 09:53 AM   #35
Site Team

solar panel arrangement

Two 160w solar panels would be ideal for my plans to use an ac/DC fridge. There is only room for one on the 17b roof. If I have ETI prewire for solar and have the connections come off the side instead of the roof, then I can easily connect two panels on a stand on the ground, and aim them at the sun as it moves to get the maximum amount of power. But, does anyone know of 160w panels that would be suitable for this? The gopower/carmanah panels are quite large and quite heavy. Might have to go that way, but would prefer a lighter arrangement.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:47 PM   #36
Site Team

Also, I emailed NovaKool a few days ago about whether they had ever approached ETI or other trailer manufacturers about the possibility of using Compressor fridges as a factory option. I got a reply back today:

I had called on ETI to reintroduce the concept of DC compressor refrigeration and will revisit again.

The running amp draws have come down dramatically on these types of refrigerators, and being that they are designed for rough mobile applications, and allow for off level running.

Generally the small refrigerators will run in the 18 amps to 36 amps in a 24hr period, which is well within the capabilities of a practically sized solar array system that would allow being disconnected from a shore power application for quite some time.

Thanks again!
Sean
Old 07-21-2014, 02:54 PM   #37

Blazing a new trail there Bob……the more choices the better.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:05 PM   #38

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
Quote:

Generally the small refrigerators will run in the 18 amps to 36 amps in a 24hr period, which is well within the capabilities of a practically sized solar array system that would allow being disconnected from a shore power application for quite some time.

[/I]
Just to be clear, we're talking 18 to 36 amp-hours, correct?

Even though we have one, I don't really like generators....but wouldn't it be nice to have a nearly silent 300 watt generator just to recharge the battery? Some day we'll be talking about hydrogen fuel cells for RV power.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2014, 04:16 PM   #39

Yes amp-hours until Brian signs on and correct our terminology. If one goes to http://www.marxrv.com/12volt/12volt.htm
there is a discussion of determining your 12v needs per day. This will allow you to determine the size of your solar system and battery capacity. For example using your 12v refer may need 24 amps and your furnace 20 amps plus pump and other, lets say 50 hours per day. Thus you would need a minimum 120 hour battery and the dual sixes would give you additional reserve.
Old 07-21-2014, 04:41 PM   #40
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker View Post
Just to be clear, we're talking 18 to 36 amp-hours, correct?

Even though we have one, I don't really like generators....but wouldn't it be nice to have a nearly silent 300 watt generator just to recharge the battery? Some day we'll be talking about hydrogen fuel cells for RV power.
I have been run out of a nice peaceful and quiet campground more than once by a generator -- even the "ultra-quiet" ones. Just from a consumption and operating expense standpoint, the newer and more efficient solar setups make more sense. It's green, it's renewable, and nobody has to get mad from the noise.

Yes, the '18 to 36 amps in a 24 hr period' is Sean's way of saying Amp Hours or Ah. It's not much of an estimate, so I'd plan my consumption on the higher number.