possible Escape 19 wheel problem - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-12-2013, 07:03 PM   #1

possible Escape 19 wheel problem

On our way home from last year's fall fishing trip to the eastern Sierras, I noticed a sound coming from what aperared to be the curb side trailer wheels, or at least the curb side of the trailer, on our Escape 19...metallic sound, like a chain dragging on pavement. I pulled over at first chance and checked everything: safety chains (in place and secure), brake away brake cable (in place and secure), wheel hubs (cool to the touch), trailer brakes (working fine, no problem there). I walked around the truck and trailer and found nothing on either vehicle that might be loose or dragging on the ground.
Finding no obvious problem, I continued home without mishap and stored the trailer for the winter, thinking I'd get to it before spring...didn't happen. I'm getting ready for our "season opener" trip to central California and need to convince myself there is no problem or find and fix the problem. Any input would be much appreciated...

Rich McCormack
Old 04-12-2013, 07:12 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
What year is your trailer. I know a few brakes in '09 had problematic magnets. Reace got me a set still under warranty, and I changed them out when I did my bearings. They had a bit of a squeal sound to them beforehand.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:14 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Is it kind of a rusty low-pitched squeakish-rattlish set of sounds? On our 19 and a number of other 19s produced in the middle of 09, Reace got a shipment of axles with defective brake magnets from Dexter. He heard the noise from ours and other 19s in Bandon at the 2010 gathering, and was all over it. The shoes and clips were dragging on the drum, that will cause damage over time. At his urging, we had our local shop replace the magnets, sending the bill for repayment to Reace, who dealt with Dexter directly. However, if that's your problem and yours is an 09, you're out of warranty....

Bruce
Bruce Wray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2013, 04:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Wray View Post
However, if that's your problem and yours is an 09, you're out of warranty....
Fortunately, Dexter brake assemblies don't cost very much. I would pull of the wheel and hub/drum and look... and replace the backing plate assembly (which has all the moving bits) if required.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2013, 07:00 PM   #5

Escape 19 wheel problem

We picked up our Escape 19 in Chilliwack early in July, 2010. I had the wheel bearings and brakes serviced early in June, 2012. It was about two months later that I started hearing the "dragging chain" sound. What I'm hearing isn't a squeak or squeal, it's the sound of metal banging against a hard surface, like a chain dragging on pavement. I don't hear it when I back up, I hear it when I'm moving forward at low speed. It could be a constant sound with road noise drowning it out at higher speeds, I don't know. My wife has told me she hears a squeal when I back into a camping spot. I'll have to look into that...I doubt the brakes are still under warranty. If I were on the road with a flat tire, I'd call AAA or Good Sam. That not being the case, what's the best way to lift the wheels off the ground for inspection at home...trailer aid or floor jack? Thanks for the input...

Rich
Old 04-15-2013, 07:35 PM   #6

The cool thing bout the tandem axle arrangement on the 19 is that you can drive a wheel on one side up blocks or a ramp and the other will go airborne. I believe you'll nee about 4"of lift to do so. I've also lifted mine with a floor jack, set on the frame right next to the axle.

Bruce
Old 04-16-2013, 06:20 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Rich, have you gone to a big parking lot and had one person drive while the other looks on both sides, and then switch places and look some more until you know exactly where it is coming from. And whether just when going forward.

You can use blocks as Bruce says. We have a Trailer Aid which is a little ramp for one wheel to go up onto.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 01:07 AM   #8

Trailer: 2012 15A
You could use Cathy's method and ride a bike alongside the trailer which might be easier to keep up with if you have to go faster than a walking pace to hear the noise?
JohnB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 09:04 AM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Or better yet, hang on to a rope tied to the trailer/tow while on the bike so you can hear the sounds at highway speeds.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2013, 04:31 PM   #10

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
Or better yet, hang on to a rope tied to the trailer/tow while on the bike so you can hear the sounds at highway speeds.
Yeah! Just remember, Rich, it was Jim's idea!
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #11

I checked the trailer brakes, they seem to be working OK. I should invest in a new brake controller, the one I bought in 2001 worked fine with the 17 ft. Casita but is coming up short with the Escape 19. Not seeing a brake problem, I ran the curbside rear wheel onto a ramp and gave the front wheel a spin. It sounded like an alarm clock going off (or a chain dragging against a hard surface, if you wish). Also, the camber on the left rear and right front wheel looks negative, while the right rear and left front looks neutral. Tire wear seems even, so I don't think it's a problem, maybe even normal. I've got an appointment to have the wheels checked the end of this week. Hope it's a fairly easy fix and won't be a problem with leaving for the King City, CA rally the middle of next week as we're supposed to bring a 16" Dutch Oven for DO pizza night.

For what it's worth: the rattle I've been hearing turned out to be loose kayak racks...

Rich
Old 04-24-2013, 09:33 PM   #12

Wheel bearings?? What else moves when the wheels turn?
Old 04-24-2013, 11:28 PM   #13

I've experienced wheel bearing problems before...different feel and sound. If it does turn out to be a wheel bearing, that would present a more complicated problem than just a wheel bearing gone bad.

Rich
Old 04-24-2013, 11:36 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by macknet View Post
I should invest in a new brake controller, the one I bought in 2001 worked fine with the 17 ft. Casita but is coming up short with the Escape 19.
I don't get it: why would the different trailer need a different controller? Even the Escape 19 only has two axles, and every controller handles the power required by only two axles. What controller do you have, and what do you expect a new controller to do which is different?
Old 04-25-2013, 12:08 AM   #15

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I know nothing, but could a brake not be releasing completely?
Old 04-25-2013, 03:10 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I don't get it: why would the different trailer need a different controller? Even the Escape 19 only has two axles, and every controller handles the power required by only two axles. What controller do you have, and what do you expect a new controller to do which is different?
The issue isn't the number of axles, it's the ease of adjusting. The "hard to visualize" change from red to green and green to red of the LED light and the lack of sensitivity of the power and leveler knobs makes it hard to adjust the power to the brakes. With the 17' Casita, it was a once or twice a year task. With the Escape 19, I frequently have to fiddle with the controller to keep the brakes working smoothly. I'm thinking newer technology with a digital read would be easier to adjust and keep adjusted...yes, no?

Rich
Old 04-26-2013, 09:09 AM   #17

Thanks Rich. Yes, I agree that a newer controller would probably easier to use. If your current one has a leveller knob then it is a pendulum type, and a modern fully electronic design would avoid the levelling adjustment, as well as having a clearer display.

We're getting closer to the root issue: why does the Escape 19 need controller adjustments? This makes me think that Glen is on to something: could one or more brake mechanisms be sticking, working only sometimes?
Old 04-26-2013, 09:32 AM   #18

I'm pulling the trailer to Norm's RV here in Poway this morning. Hopefully I'll have some answers by the end of the day.

Rich
Old 04-26-2013, 10:26 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape
The brake controller sensitivity (voltage output) should be adjusted so that the TT brakes are applied but do not lock up when the tow vehicles brake pedal is depressed. The adjustment is specific to the trailer weight. The noise in the brakes, as previously described, could be a result of rust on the brake drum rubbing the backing plate or a component such as a spring that is loose in the brake drum assembly. Removal of the brake drum is necessary to address this concern. Speculation is not a good diagnostic tool (weegie board diagnostics).
Old 04-26-2013, 06:43 PM   #20

The problem with the curbside front wheel (ringing sound like metal banging against metal) was failed parts (slack adjuster and spring). It's been fixed and I got my trailer back home. My wife can start packing the trailer for our next trip. She's happy...and when she's happy, I'm happy. Before we leave for the FGRV rally, I'll give another go at adjusting the brake controller, but I do think I need to replace it with something more up to date and easier to deal with. It won't happen before we leave, it'll have to wait until we return.

Rich