Tundra brake controller operation..... - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in
Closed Thread

Old 04-23-2017, 08:06 AM   #21

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21, 2017 Toyota Tundra 5.7L 4x4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
But it just is not needed. If the connection is in proper working condition there is just no need. Do a check of all the trailers and tow vehicles you come across to see how many do this. I have heard of it once before, but have never seen it. Don't shoot me, as all these folks think the same way too.

Besides, how would you use something like that, wrap around the bumper or just attach it to the vehicle plug cap?

BTW, I do not see it at all like vehicle insurance, which is primarily there for public liability, and secondly to cover you in the case of an accident. It would be more like adding a hasp to your trailer door, you know, just in case.

Anyway, folks should do what they like. I just wanted to make the point was that if you feel it is needed, that proper maintenance and repair would be the better route to take.
It just goes around the trailer plug and the cover of the TV receiver. It holds the cover of the TV receiver onto the trailer plug so the plug will not loosen up.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:08 AM   #22

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
It just goes around the trailer plug and the cover of the TV receiver. It holds the cover of the TV receiver onto the trailer plug so the plug will not loosen up.
Gotcha, you must have an added on vehicle plug. In most new vehicles I have seen the plug is built into the bumper.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 04-23-2017, 08:08 AM   #23

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I have been using a small bungee strap, similar to a rubber band for past 7 years, some 7 way plugs have stronger springs than others, just for peace of mind.
Old 04-23-2017, 08:44 AM   #24

Trailer: None now
Jim, all new Casita's come with it, and quite a few places that install a hitch will give you one. We were given one when we had the local trailer place install a Blue Ox swaypro on our previous trailer. It's cheap, it's easy to install, it probably will never be needed but like insurance gives peace of mine.
Old 04-23-2017, 09:02 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
I had ours come loose (out of our after market plug on the Highlander) on the freeway. The Toyota mechanic had put a mound of dielectric grease on it and it had coated the inside walls, making everything slippery. That combined with the older weaker spring clips on trailer's end caused it to just slip out. I had some double sided velcro in the trailer, and cut a piece of it long enough to wrap around and secure them together.

I still use that piece of velcro as insurance now.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 04-23-2017, 09:32 AM   #26

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
Yes I've had that issue with both my horse trailer and my Escape possibly my auto and truck plugs are not the best. My new truck might be better it comes with an integrated factory trailer brake controller etc...
Old 04-23-2017, 09:34 AM   #27

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Update on my brake situation

Took the Tundra in a few days ago and they couldn't find anything wrong with the controller nor did it show any errors.

We looked at the connection - nothing seemed wrong there.

Next will be for ETI to check the trailer brakes when I go up there in early May.

Hopefully it won't happen during my next trip, which is starting in a few hours! Fingers crossed everyone.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:22 AM   #28

Trailer: None now
Did you have someone do the after 400 miles adjustment on the brake pads yet? If you haven't you may or may not have the full braking potential of the trailer brakes. And if they are out of adjustment that may actually be causing your problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Took the Tundra in a few days ago and they couldn't find anything wrong with the controller nor did it show any errors.

We looked at the connection - nothing seemed wrong there.

Next will be for ETI to check the trailer brakes when I go up there in early May.

Hopefully it won't happen during my next trip, which is starting in a few hours! Fingers crossed everyone.
Old 04-23-2017, 11:51 AM   #29

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
That combined with the older weaker spring clips on trailer's end caused it to just slip out. I had some double sided velcro in the trailer, and cut a piece of it long enough to wrap around and secure them together.

I still use that piece of velcro as insurance now.
I've had similar issues. Now I leave a piece of bungee cord mid-point. I have other wires that I want to keep in place and I also secure the 7 pin cable with it. Keeps them for hanging too low and the 7 pin has never detached since I started doing that.

Ron
Old 04-23-2017, 12:11 PM   #30

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
I've had similar issues. Now I leave a piece of bungee cord mid-point. I have other wires that I want to keep in place and I also secure the 7 pin cable with it. Keeps them for hanging too low and the 7 pin has never detached since I started doing that.

Ron
Sounds like a great idea to me . I'll be adding something myself . Pat
Old 05-06-2017, 11:59 AM   #31

Trailer: "The Trailer", 2nd Gen 21' & a 2017 Tundra CrewMax in Blazing Blue Pearl
Braking problem solved!

Thanks to Dennis at ETI, my braking problem has been solved. On Thursday I took the trailer up there to get a busted window replaced, plus a few other things.

Later in the afternoon Dennis drove my trailer with his truck. Didn't have any problems. Hitched up another trailer to my truck - had problems. He looked at the brake setting and realized it was incorrectly set. He hooked up my trailer to my truck and everything was fine and dandy.

Whew!

Most likely I fat fingered the switch for "type" of brakes. The following photos show what the brake controller device looks like. You can see where the push in switch for "type" is located. Right below where the rocker switch (or whatever the technical term is) is located. The other two photos show the two different settings.

I know the brakes worked just fine heading down to a trip to Corvallis. But on the way home they were mucking up. I probably hit the "type" button when I was fiddling around in that area, as I was getting ready to head out. I dunno - it's an area that's hard to see due to the steering wheel.

But now that I know what's going on, I'll always check to make sure the setting is "Electric (manual gain)" and NOT "electric over hydraulic (manual gain)". Reace said that was a new one on him. Dennis' truck has 4 different settings and he figured something was going on in regards to the setting. I only have 2 settings.

(I always did lose out on those 50/50 questions in Trivia Pursuit.)

So, yay to Dennis (he was thanked profusely in person, of course!). I looked at the setting on the display but it didn't mean anything to me.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC05297.jpg   DSC05295.jpg   DSC05296.jpg  
Old 05-06-2017, 12:39 PM   #32

Trailer: 2010 EggCamper (#083); 2017 Escape 21 (#053); 2016 F-150 5.0L FX4
Assuming your brake controller is on the right of the steering wheel, the "Type" button is right where my right thumb would hit it every time when activating the manual brake slide. So I can see me constantly messing up that setting without even thinking of it.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:05 PM   #33

Trailer: 17
appeciate the photos and update. My P3 in my Tundra is in the exact same location. My knee has bumped that area on my controller and Knocked it out too. So I guess with your factory one or my aftermarket one it can happen. Dennis is super sharp, it's a good feeling to have him there helping hooking up your rig I know that.

I've never seen a toyota factory controller like yours before, I sure like how it displays on the Dash there, very nice and safe to keep an eye on. Any other Tundra or Tacoma folks.... Esptruck.com offers a panel that replaces that factory spot for a P3 to be mounted for a Tundra or Tacoma.
Old 05-06-2017, 02:47 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Eagle View Post
Assuming your brake controller is on the right of the steering wheel, the "Type" button is right where my right thumb would hit it every time when activating the manual brake slide. So I can see me constantly messing up that setting without even thinking of it.
I think that's *exactly* what happened. I always manually check the brakes when I'm leaving the site (or home), when I'm going super slow. And that's when it started grabbing big time. Yeah, it's on the right. So, that makes perfect sense. I couldn't quite figure out how I hit it when I didn't think I was adjusting up or down. Thanks WarEagle! Now I can lose sleep over other stuff. HA!
Old 05-06-2017, 03:31 PM   #35

Dirk,
Thanks for the posting and photos about your controller. It is exactly the information I need. We just bought a Tundra. I'm still putting the first 500 miles on it before towing the trailer, so I haven't used the controller.
Old 05-06-2017, 04:01 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by richardr View Post
Dirk,
Thanks for the posting and photos about your controller. It is exactly the information I need. We just bought a Tundra. I'm still putting the first 500 miles on it before towing the trailer, so I haven't used the controller.
Hey guys, it was actually me (Laura) that posted. I seriously doubt Dirk will ever post here, unless it's under my direction. But, no biggie on the mix up.

I love the Tundra. My other vehicle is an FJ. The other day I told Dirk we need to sell it as it feels like my butt's dragging on the ground after driving the Tundra. Esp when I just put 1008 miles on it going to the Oregon Coast and back.

Sorry Pat (of PatandLinda), Dirk says it's not for sale. Plus, he knows I wasn't really serious about selling it.

Anyway, glad I could help. I'd sure hate for this to happen to anyone else. And start driving your rig! It's camping time! (Well, it might depend on where you live, of course.)
Old 05-06-2017, 05:48 PM   #37

Old 05-06-2017, 08:19 PM   #38

Trailer: 2010 Escape 19
That is slick to have an integrated brake controller. Laura I know you didn't know at the time whether the issue was the truck or trailer, but since it is a factory integrated brake controller I would assume the Tundra owner's manual would describe all the features and how it should be set?
Old 05-06-2017, 09:50 PM   #39

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by NW Cat Owner View Post
Hey guys, it was actually me (Laura) that posted. I seriously doubt Dirk will ever post here, unless it's under my direction. But, no biggie on the mix up.

I love the Tundra. My other vehicle is an FJ. The other day I told Dirk we need to sell it as it feels like my butt's dragging on the ground after driving the Tundra. Esp when I just put 1008 miles on it going to the Oregon Coast and back.

Sorry Pat (of PatandLinda), Dirk says it's not for sale. Plus, he knows I wasn't really serious about selling it.

Anyway, glad I could help. I'd sure hate for this to happen to anyone else. And start driving your rig! It's camping time! (Well, it might depend on where you live, of course.)
Darn ! Pat
Old 05-06-2017, 11:26 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubicon327 View Post
That is slick to have an integrated brake controller. Laura I know you didn't know at the time whether the issue was the truck or trailer, but since it is a factory integrated brake controller I would assume the Tundra owner's manual would describe all the features and how it should be set?
Yeah, but I still would have been clueless as to which setting it needed to be for the trailer. Dirk didn't know either. So, whatever it said would not have helped.

I'm just ssssoooo thrilled to have it figured out. It was great hitting the brakes, knowing the trailer brakes were also working and helping me to stop. And esp since I'm hitting Snoqualmie Pass over I90 (Seattle to Spokane) in a few days.

That night I actually called up another Escape owner as she had told me she was having some braking/controller issues. I wanted to tell her in detail what I found out, in the hopes that it'll help her situation. She got an after market controller.
Closed Thread