Power delay? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-17-2019, 12:46 PM   #1

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21
Power delay?

Our 2015 21’ has developed a quirk that I am not sure how to handle. The past 2 stops when we plug into the 30 amp, no power. Wait 10 minutes and it starts up. How/what/where should we start? We are on a 2 month trip, all worked great the first week, now this. Checked the pole before plugging in each time, said it was good. We also have th surge protector installed by ETI. Any advice would be great!
Treblemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 12:51 PM   #2

Trailer: 2020 Escape 19
Have you watched the ETI orientation video that talks about the 3 min power delay while the surge protector goes through its checks?
Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 01:22 PM   #3

No, maybe that is what is going on. We bought this used and it is our 3rd trip. I will watch it and time how long for sure it takes. Thank you for what is probably an obvious thing that we were not aware of!!
Old 09-17-2019, 01:32 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treblemaker View Post
No, maybe that is what is going on. We bought this used and it is our 3rd trip. I will watch it and time how long for sure it takes. Thank you for what is probably an obvious thing that we were not aware of!!
If the delay is longer the you would like, there is a jumper that, if not attached to the surge protector paperwork or inside the box, can be ordered from Progressive Industries.

With the jumper in place, the delay is 15 seconds. The only problem with the shorter delay is it does not give enough time for the air conditioner to lower pressure, making a start after a short shutdown difficult.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:04 PM   #5

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Call Progressive Industries Tech Support @ 1-800-307-6702 press 2

On the EMS-HW30 (I'm taking it you have the on board surge protector), the delay should be 136 seconds.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:05 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan View Post
Have you watched the ETI orientation video that talks about the 3 min power delay while the surge protector goes through its checks?
Yep. That’s it!

Plug into shore power first, then set chocks, level camper, remove hitch up thingys...
... by then, your surge protector will have done its checks, and you’ll have power to your vessel thingy, aka camper.
Old 09-17-2019, 02:09 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
When we first got our trailer, I didn't know about the power delay. So went to a campground, plugged in, but no power. The campground owner was right outside, so I told him and he said to go to the next site. So I did, plugged in, but still no power. So I went outside, again and started walking towards the campground owner who was about 100 meters away. About halfway there, LIndy stuck her head out the trailer and yelled: "We have power now!". About a week later, we pulled into a campground just north of Yellowstone park on a really hot day. Plugged in but the air conditioner wouldn't work. much use of extended vocabulary, but I wasn't able to find anyone to complain to about the situation. came back to the trailer to start opening windows, and the air conditioner came on. I think I started remembering the power delay after that. The two to three-minute delay can seem like forever sometimes!
Old 09-17-2019, 03:37 PM   #8

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrgramps View Post
Yep. That’s it!

Plug into shore power first, then set chocks, level camper, remove hitch up thingys...
... by then, your surge protector will have done its checks, and you’ll have power to your vessel thingy, aka camper.
I do nothing after I plug in until the power comes on and I get an E 0. No point in undoing all that stuff if I have to move for some reason.
Old 09-17-2019, 03:55 PM   #9

Trailer: 5.0TA 2017
yes i plug in then start on other things then go back and check the microwave light if its on then i know i have power
Fox hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 03:55 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
I do nothing after I plug in until the power comes on and I get an E 0. No point in undoing all that stuff if I have to move for some reason.
Same here. I've had to move twice, over the years, because the power pedestal was bad. I use that time as an opportunity to check out the restrooms/showers, if there are any....
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 03:59 PM   #11

Quote:
Er. Ummm I’m kidding around here.

Point is. There is a delay. You wait, drink, talk. Or do absolutely nothing. Just wait. Haha

Or, you can setup while waiting, with full knowledge that you might tear down. And move. Or not.

My bad, if my sense of humor isn’t funny.
Old 09-17-2019, 04:47 PM   #12

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
That is why I put the jumper in to get a 15 second delay. I rarely use the AC, and if the power is flaky, I don't run it.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:43 PM   #13

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
I do absolutely nothing for the 2 min. I'm very proficient at it.
Old 09-17-2019, 05:53 PM   #14

I remove the safety chains and brake cable, lift the hitch bail, jack the trailer up, and pull the truck forward. In 5 minutes.

Wife tells me that there is no wind, no electric.
Old 09-17-2019, 06:43 PM   #15

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We've been fortunate in 4 years and never hooked up to a bad power pole. We did discover that the power pole at Quartzsite Gathering (Dome Rock), did not have live hookups much to the Rangers chagrin.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2019, 06:49 AM   #16

You make me feel better already! You all have saved a call to an RV repair person who would have charged me $$ to tell me everything is fine! Many thanks to all for the responses and stories-I guess we panicked because there was no wait with the old Casita (and no onboard surge protector, either.) Larry and I slept lots better last night....
Old 09-18-2019, 06:54 AM   #17

Trailer: 2014 21' Escape
You learn something new everyday they say, this is what I just learned today.

BIG THANKS.

Enjoy the journey.

Steve
stratos175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2019, 03:36 PM   #18

Glad and thankful to report everyone’s advice was perfect! We moved to Lake Georgetown today, and 3 minutes after plugging in Voilá! Power light popped up on the microwave and yours truly did a not-so-graceful happy dance! Thanks again, everyone!!
Old 09-19-2019, 05:03 PM   #19

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
On our panel, there is a little led that blinks in the lower right corner while it is in the startup delay. When it has gone through the delay, the blink stops. We use this to tell us if it is still checking or are we good to go.
Old 09-19-2019, 11:45 PM   #20

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21 behind a 2014 Chev Silverado
During our orientation on July 24th it was suggested that when arriving at a campsite to plug in the camper and go check the EMS for any error codes. If none you are good to go, if there is a code that can't be fixed easily then stop setting up and notify the proper campsite personnel. The reasoning was no need setting up if you are not going to be in that site. There have been a few times when I thought the breaker was on but was actually off, doing it this way allowed the EMS to go through its delay and power the trailer in the quickest amount of time. Which our Boxer, Eli, appreciated having the AC start working sooner in those 90+ degree days during our trip home.

Tags
electrical, power, surge protected