Powered trailer dolly experiences ? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-11-2013, 06:51 PM   #11

Trailer: none yet
A front mount hitch enables maneuvering in tighter spaces. I cannot find a front mount for my VW Tuoareg TDI.

ajay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:12 PM   #12

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajay View Post
Hi Everyone,

Not even a newbee yet, ordered a 21. Very excited and cannot wait until I get it (early next year).

My driveway/parking space is very tight and I do not think it will be easy to park the 21. I will look into a front mounted hitch - but I am not optimistic. I am told I can purchase an electric or gas powered dolly to maneuver the trailer
into the space. Looking at the internet, some have commented that this could be dangerous when making tight turns with a tandem trailer.

I would sure appreciate comments, and experiences you may have had. Recommendations are most welcome.

Thank you in advance
ajay, I have an Escape 19 and move it around into a tight spot on the side of my house with a trailer dolly made by Powermovers; All Wheel Drive AC Powered Trailer Dolly. If I had to do it over I would absolutely pay that much again and even more if needed. Because I have this dolly I don't have to pay storage fees. If you're getting about a one year payback or better how can you go wrong? Remember, you are going to have that trailer for a long time. Regarding maneuverability, I can spin the trailer around on its axis with no movement front or back sliding both duals while doing it. In other words, the maneuverability is unbelievable!...and all of the models I've seen on the market look good. Go for it!

"Want Some Ice Cubes?, "Want a Frozen Margarita?", Want a Jump?"
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:14 PM   #13

Quote:
A front mount hitch enables maneuvering in tighter spaces. I cannot find a front mount for my VW Tuoareg TDI.

...only when driving forward...not when backing up.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #14

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
...only when driving forward...not when backing up.
It does help make for tighter steering in both directions due to the steering being so close to the pivot point of the hitch. I used to do this all the time parking rows of farm machinery tightly together for my dad's John Deere dealership. Even backing out, it pulls the hitch around a real tight radius.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 09:33 PM   #15

A power dolly should accomplish the same thing as a front mount hitch.

Does the double axle on a 21 make this dangerous ( a power dolly has a lot less mass than a tow vehicle when there is resistance to axle skid)

Anyone else have experience using a powered dolly?
Old 07-11-2013, 09:43 PM   #16

Quote:
A power dolly should accomplish the same thing as a front mount hitch.

Does the double axle on a 21 make this dangerous ( a power dolly has a lot less mass than a tow vehicle when there is resistance to axle skid)

Anyone else have experience using a powered dolly?
Read post #12 again...my trailer is also double axle and the dolly has no problem moving it through dirt, gravel....or put a hitch on the front of your TV and tell us how it worked out..
Old 07-11-2013, 09:53 PM   #17

I read on another forum about dangers, and I do sometimes analyze too much.

I can pave my area , however there is a 12 degree uphill grade to overcome before getting to level area when parking, and possible runaway train when readying for hitch to tow vehicle. Thanks for relating you experience. Which model did you buy - several listed on their website?
Old 07-11-2013, 10:01 PM   #18

Quote:
I read on another forum about dangers, and I do sometimes analyze too much.

I can pave my area , however there is a 12 degree uphill grade to overcome before getting to level area when parking, and possible runaway train when readying for hitch to tow vehicle. Thanks for relating you experience. Which model did you buy - several listed on their website?
AC6...and you are right to worry about the 12 degree grade. Don't plan to use a dolly on a grade like that. If your TV can get it up to the top then you can unhook and use the dolly to move it around then OK. Most models have a brake control for grades but I don't use mine.
Old 07-12-2013, 10:10 AM   #19

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Thanks for the clarification. I'm not surprised that a front-mount hitch for the Touareg is hard to find; they are common only for pickup trucks (and SUVs sharing the same chassis) with a separate frame and body. In the Touareg's European home I expect that front-mount hitches (for any vehicle) are even more rare than they are here, because people use tongue jacks with wheels and hand-push their trailers, or use "movers" which are motors built onto the trailer.
Brian B-P is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2013, 05:07 PM   #20

I think I will keep it at a storage yard or friend's warehouse. The warehouse would be ideal - indoors, somewhat climate controlled, and electric outlets available. I hope he says yes. Much safer solution, my DW needn't be concerned about the neighbors' attitude regarding the trailer from next door ( "The Trailer From the White Lagoon"!), and then I dint have to concern myself about my Bride's attitude.

Thanks to everyone for their advice.

Arny