problems with converter/converter fan - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-19-2010, 06:58 PM   #1
PJ

Trailer: Escape 17' 2005 "Turtle"
problems with converter/converter fan

While on vacation in Oregon last month it was cold and rainy. We camped first 2 nights without hook-up, drove all day, while setting up camp the third night I heard this noise after we plugged in. We'd never heard it before so took awhile for it to register that it was the converter. Got out the manuel and read about the fan - it is suppose to come on when over heated. It was not over heated. The battery was fully charged from driving all day. My husband switched out the battery (we carry a spare) and the fan stopped coming on. We were plugged in at this site for three nights, drove all day, next two nights without electric hook-up, drove all day, fourth night - plugged in and fan came on again, with the second battery - fully charged, definitely not warm out! We did not use the hook-up as we did not want the fan to keep running.

Mike (hubby) called the company (nice folks) when we got home. The conditions they said this could occur under were not our conditions - it was not hot out, battery only a year old, etc. etc.

Has anyone had any experience with the converter fan? Problems with the converter? Any ideas? We're second owners, we've had it one year and last season never had the fan come on - camping in many different conditions.

Thanks for any ideas.
Penney

"He who would travel happily must travel light.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
PJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 07:16 PM   #2

Trailer: 2009 19' Escape
Re: problems with converter/converter fan

I've noticed that our converter fan comes on for a little while when I first plug into shore power. I've never thought anything about it and the converter continues to operate normally.

What did concern me when we first got the trailer was we were blowing fuses regularly. My husband traced that problem to a faulty outdoor extension cord and since we changed that we've had no more blown fuses.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:43 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: PJ...We had our trailer for quite a few months and one rainy night in N.Y.with both of us reading and the trailer closed to the weather... all of a sudden" whats that noise!!! We'd never heard it before but discovered that it was the converter fan. Ours runs very seldom and we pay no attention to it when it does. I believe it cools the circuit board and also exhausts any moisture build up from condensation. Thats its job. Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:08 PM   #4

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

Just got back from our last trip and yes that is normal.
Every time we plugged in the fan went on for a bit.
Old 06-20-2010, 09:15 PM   #5
PJ

Hi all

Thanks for your thoughts. The odd thing is that it never has gone on before this trip, also it wasn't just going on for a short time, it ran for quite awhile and it was cycling on and off and seemed intent on continuing to do this. Alf, maybe the moisture had something to do with it, but the manual says it is supposed to come on when over heated, doesn't say anything about moisture, humidity, etc.

Penney

Old 06-20-2010, 10:09 PM   #6

Is the converter well-ventilated? is there something obstructing the grilles? Do you have a lot of luggage under the table?

Is it possible that there is a lot of dust inside the converter?

My first thought would be to buy a "can of air" at your Radio Shack/The Source/computer service store, Disconnect from shore power, open the converter to get at the power components and blast away at any big semiconductors and heat sinks. DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING INSIDE THE CONVERTER! The "air" is not really air, and it won't create damaging static discharge. Do not use an air compressor.

Also, visually verify that the fan is free to move.

I doubt that any of this will work, but it's my best guess.

2009 17' Plan B
ronstew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 07:37 PM   #7

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronstew
Is the converter well-ventilated? is there something obstructing the grilles? Do you have a lot of luggage under the table?

Is it possible that there is a lot of dust inside the converter?

My first thought would be to buy a "can of air" at your Radio Shack/The Source/computer service store, Disconnect from shore power, open the converter to get at the power components and blast away at any big semiconductors and heat sinks. DON'T TOUCH ANYTHING INSIDE THE CONVERTER! The "air" is not really air, and it won't create damaging static discharge. Do not use an air compressor.

Also, visually verify that the fan is free to move.

I doubt that any of this will work, but it's my best guess.
Wow, it very well may not work....but it sure sounded good : - )
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 10:23 PM   #8
PJ

hello all,

we just went on an overnight and used shore power and the fan did not come on when we were in the trailer, but we weren't in the trailer very often except when sleeping. Did hear it come on when hooked up at home. Before going Mike stripped wires to battery, put new connectors on and cleaned off the battery lugs. Might have made a difference. Will take look inside next and see if it needs cleaning out as suggested.

Thanks for the suggestion!

Penney