Propane Cover - Escape Trailer Owners Community

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 06-05-2014, 06:35 PM   #1

Trailer: Escape 19 26/May/2014 Sold New trailer 2016 Bigfoot 25B21FB
Propane Cover

Here is another question for our Escape Trailer family . On our new Escape 19 trailer the Propane Cover that ETI ships with the trailer has no mounting hardware came with it is this normal? When you look at the bottom of the cover there is only two holes where to mount the cover to the frame of the trailer. So the big question is what have you done to mount the plastic cover?

markvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 06:39 PM   #2

Trailer: 2013 Escape 19 & 15B
My cover is just set over top of the tanks and is not fastened down. Seems to be a reasonable amount of friction between the sides of the cover and the tank to hold it in place. I am not terribly worried about it. However, I did lose one of the nuts that holds the top inspection port closed on the propane cover. Will have to search a local hardware store for something that may work as a replacement.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:32 PM   #3

I added two vertical strips of 1" thick coarse foam to the inside at the closest point to the tanks. Worked great until a freak gust of wind lifted it up and off into the ditch on the Connector last summer just East of Merritt. The new cover I had to buy now has the same foam but I also use a rubber bungie that goes from the small plastic tab on the front of the cover under the metal plate that supports the tanks to the same tab on the back. I don't have to fill the tanks enough for it to be a pain.
Old 06-05-2014, 08:03 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19ft. "Eh'gloo"
I used a couple of long tie-wraps looped through the tabs on the cover and around the trailer chassis frame.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:10 PM   #5

Although I don't have an Escape (yet), I drilled a couple of holes in the bottom about 1" from the edge on the front and back and use a bungee cord to attach underneath. I lost one of the nuts to the inspection port also, and lost the whole lid. Well, it's really easy to inspect and turn the propane on now.

If you can dream it, you can do it
walloe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:23 PM   #6
Commercial Member

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 - "Felicity"
Quote:
Originally Posted by walloe View Post
Although I don't have an Escape (yet), I drilled a couple of holes in the bottom about 1" from the edge on the front and back and use a bungee cord to attach underneath. I lost one of the nuts to the inspection port also, and lost the whole lid. Well, it's really easy to inspect and turn the propane on now.
Bungee cords really should come with the cover (along with the holes!)

Need custom storage to your design? Don't drill holes!
www.RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:32 PM   #7

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B - "Toad". '08 Toyota RAV4 V6
I have a zap strap looped around the propane tank handle and up through an existing slot in the tank cover. Can't say how effective it is, but I haven't lost the tank cover.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Zip tie.jpg (68.5 KB, 8 views)

What happens to the hole when the cheese is gone?
- Bertolt Brecht
gbaglo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:50 PM   #8

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
I'm now 2/3rds through my 5th North American migration.. standard ETI setup (no cover retention device) No dislodged/lose cover here. I am wearing out the propane tanks retention rod with all the bottle refills. I definitely would be ordering the 30 pounders if I got to peruse an Escape build option sheet again ;-)
Old 06-05-2014, 10:30 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape 19 26/May/2014 Sold New trailer 2016 Bigfoot 25B21FB
I am just amazed that no one has lost there whole plastic propane tank cover with how flimsy attached there are. But I guess the cover for the most part stay on from what I am hear from you all . When you think about it you really don't want to be fighting the cover on and off when changeling LP tanks so the least amount of fastening that works is the best way to go.
Thanks
Mark
markvt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 10:39 PM   #10

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by markvt View Post
I am just amazed that no one has lost there whole plastic propane tank cover with how flimsy attached there are. But I guess the cover for the most part stay on from what I am hear from you all . When you think about it you really don't want to be fighting the cover on and off when changeling LP tanks so the least amount of fastening that works is the best way to go.
Thanks
Mark
Actually you end up taking the cover off even more often to check the auto cutover valve status..

If/when you see red its time reach for your wallet and another tank fill/replacement cycle