Propane Gauge/Leak Tester - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-06-2014, 09:54 PM   #41
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
My station charges by the gallon. An empty 20 pounder takes 4.7 gallons. At least according to my last recipt.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:10 PM   #42

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
According to this guy, you are getting what you should be getting.
He then goes on to describe how Costco rips you off ( I assume from the pictures of Costco receipts, since I didn't read the rest )

The Truth About Filling 20 LB BBQ Grill Propane Tanks | Web Design Greenville SC
Old 04-06-2014, 10:48 PM   #43

Trailer: 2018 21' ; 2014 19' (Sold)
No gauge on the tank other than what was delivered with the trailer. We had no problems coming home and we were using propane for cooking. When you look at the tank closely, it appears that the leak is actually coming from where the top unit (gage) is attached to the actual tank so we're assuming it's just a defective tank. We have lots of propane tanks around here (outside heaters, barbecue, etc.) and this is the first one to ever leak from someplace other than the thread. I'm just glad it happened while we were here.
CADreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 10:57 PM   #44

Gbaglo - In looking at the photo of the OPD valve, our tank is leaking from where the blue tape connects to the tank. In any case, I don't trust the tank and we'll be getting a new one and checking out all connections many times over.
Old 04-06-2014, 11:23 PM   #45

You threw me with the use of the term "gauge". I had a look at the pic and I still don't understand where the tank is leaking. I thought you used soapy water on the tank and it didn't show a leak, but that you have a leak when connected.
So, I'm just gonna shup up and suggest you take it to an expert before buying a new tank.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:02 AM   #46

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Scary! Here in the US it's illegal to fill propane tanks without an overfill protection device installed in the tank. Folks are now complaining about not get a 20# fill in a 20# tank. There's a reason!
Yes - this is the reason:
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
The reason would be that the company offering 18# for [the price of] 20# makes more money.
The 20# tank would not be overfilled until it had more than 20# in it.
Donna, it sounds like you have been duped by the misinformation from the fraud artists at Blue Rhino, like many others. A 20-pound tank fits 20 pounds of propane, when properly and safety filled.

Quote:
My station charges by the gallon. An empty 20 pounder takes 4.7 gallons. At least according to my last recipt.
Right - 4.7 gallons at 4.11 pounds per gallon is 19.3 pounds, so they got pretty close.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:12 AM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by CADreamin View Post
John removed the tank and sprayed it with soapy water ... no bubbles. However, within a few minutes, you could see the vapor escaping (no pun) by looking sideways at the tank where the gauge fits into the actual tank.
These tanks don't have a gauge, or at least not one separate from the valve, so when I read this I wondered if you meant "valve body"...
Quote:
No gauge on the tank other than what was delivered with the trailer.
When you look at the tank closely, it appears that the leak is actually coming from where the top unit (gage) is attached to the actual tank so we're assuming it's just a defective tank.
So apparently, yes, the leak is where the valve body is attached to the tank.

Quote:
We have lots of propane tanks around here (outside heaters, barbecue, etc.) and this is the first one to ever leak from someplace other than the thread.
By "the thread" I assume that you meant the threaded connection of the hose fitting to the outlet of the tank's valve. This leaking location of the valve body connection to the tank is also a thread... but one which is never disconnected in the life of the tank. It is a pipe thread, so it has to be sealed with dope or tape.

Quote:
... our tank is leaking from where the blue tape connects to the tank. In any case, I don't trust the tank and we'll be getting a new one and checking out all connections many times over.
The valve could just be removed and properly re-installed, but it would need to properly emptied before the work, and purged again afterwards... so it is easier and more practical to just replace the tank.

I've never seen blue thread seal tape, but I have seen blue paste-like sealant (the tape is usually white for water plumbing, and yellow for gas fittings). It doesn't matter which is used, and factory-assembled parts typically use the blue stuff, not tape.

Quote:
You threw me with the use of the term "gauge". I had a look at the pic and I still don't understand where the tank is leaking. I thought you used soapy water on the tank and it didn't show a leak, but that you have a leak when connected.
Threw me at first, too.
I assume that only the outlet of valve was checked with soapy water, because a leak at the valve thread into the tank was not expected.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:14 AM   #48

Quote:
Guess who's getting a new tank AND an outside leak detector?
I understand wanting this, but I doubt that an outdoor detector for leaked propane is practical.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:24 AM   #49

Quote:
According to this guy, you are getting what you should be getting.
He then goes on to describe how Costco rips you off ( I assume from the pictures of Costco receipts, since I didn't read the rest )

The Truth About Filling 20 LB BBQ Grill Propane Tanks | Web Design Greenville SC
Yes, he is saying that Costco only put 3.6 US gallons in his 20-pound tank, instead of the 4.7 US gallons that would fill it. Although he saying that Costco gave him only a 3/4 full tank, he also noted that it was so cheap it was still a good deal. Good article, except that he generalizes about Costco based on a single purchase from one location.

Here in Edmonton, the only Costco that sells propane fills tanks by weight (so they don't report the volume), to the full 20-pound capacity (which I have verified with my scale). Despite giving a full tank, they are still usually the cheapest place in town by a significant margin. Certainly no rip-off here!
Old 04-07-2014, 12:29 AM   #50

Told you I didn't read it.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:36 AM   #51
Site Team

Wow Brian, four lengthy posts consecutively within a very short period of time. You need to step away from the keyboard and go camping!
Old 04-07-2014, 09:43 AM   #52

Sorry for the confusion ... don't know all the technical terms. But, yes, the leak is coming from where the valve body is connected to the tank. (Used the reference to "blue tape" just to try and correlate where the leak is in with relation to the photo posted.) Agreed that an outside detector is impractical. As was proven by this experience, the best detector may be the nose. And we still can't explain why the soapy water didn't produce bubbles.
Old 04-07-2014, 01:43 PM   #53

Trailer: Escape
Use a dilute liquid soap and water and water solution to check for gas leaks in tires and and LP systems,. The slower the leak, the longer duration of time before the bubbles appear.
Old 04-07-2014, 07:41 PM   #54

Quote:
You need to step away from the keyboard and go camping!
Hmmm... half - but only half - of my driveway is free of ice. A bit early for camping here!
Old 04-07-2014, 08:33 PM   #55
Site Team

It's coming Brian! Plot and plan. Half the fun is the anticipation.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:53 PM   #56

Thanks Jubal - Used the diluted soap (used Dawn which usually has great bubbles) but the bubbles never did appear ... but the vapor sure did. As predicted, when I checked it tonight, the leak seems to have stopped. We were wondering whether it might have been the sunlight on the tank (it was 80 deg here); however, our neighbor (a fire fighter) said that sunlight wouldn't cause the leak (he's the one who advised putting the tank up in the field and then getting a new one). We've decided to take the tank to an RV repair place close by and ask them about it ... and then just replace the tank. 20 lb of propane is cheap if it brings peace of mind ...
Old 04-07-2014, 10:10 PM   #57
Site Team

Quote:
We've decided to take the tank to an RV repair place close by and ask them about it ... and then just replace the tank. 20 lb of propane is cheap if it brings peace of mind ...
TRUE STORY. Bold is mine.
Old 04-07-2014, 11:34 PM   #58

Quote:
As predicted, when I checked it tonight, the leak seems to have stopped. We were wondering whether it might have been the sunlight on the tank (it was 80 deg here); however, our neighbor (a fire fighter) said that sunlight wouldn't cause the leak ...
The pressure in a closed propane tank depends only on the temperature of the contents. If the tank warms up significantly when left in the sun, the pressure will rise. It will never get high enough to cause a tank fitting to leak unless the fitting is defective (damaged threads, inadequate thread seal, not tight enough), but it makes sense that it might get high enough to cause noticeable leaking of a fitting with a fault.

On the other extreme, at about forty below, there's no more pressure than surrounding atmoshere... which presents other problems.