Propane levels - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-24-2014, 10:24 PM   #41
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have very rarely filled up where they do not check the date first. Not sure what the penalty is, but I know there can be one if they neglect this.

Do the gas station attendants in the US have to take some approved training on handling and dispensing propane at a fuel station? They do here. I have had to go to another station before, when they did not have someone trained working at the time.
http://www.propane.ca/sites/default/...2012-04(3).pdf
Not sure about the gas station ones here, but at U-Haul I've had to wait because the employee certified to dispense propane was busy. So yes, there apparently is a certification requirement. They are very strict about checking the tank stamp and they also record the weight before and after dispensing.
Old 11-24-2014, 10:26 PM   #42

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
That kind of good service only lends to consumer confidence. Good for the guys at U-Haul.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:30 PM   #43

Trailer: 2002 Escape 13'
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Not sure about the gas station ones here, but at U-Haul I've had to wait because the employee certified to dispense propane was busy. So yes, there apparently is a certification requirement. They are very strict about checking the tank stamp and they also record the weight before and after dispensing.
I only fill at U-Haul unless I need a fill up on the road and they always check the date and fill by volume (gallons). They never record the weight and I don't need that. Why, when equipment is available that measures gallons or liters dispensed?
hotfishtacos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 10:38 PM   #44
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoer View Post
Same for me - U-Haul. Last time I was there was the first time anyone actually checked the tank date. I think when my tank is ready to expire, I'll do a Blue Rhino exchange just 'cause they are such a wonderful company
Yeah, wonderful. Instead of the exchange cylinder you can get a brand new empty one at Amazon for around $32. Comes with an opd and a built in gauge. Plus, the stamp is recent so it won't expire as soon.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:35 PM   #45
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
I only fill at U-Haul unless I need a fill up on the road and they always check the date and fill by volume (gallons). They never record the weight and I don't need that. Why, when equipment is available that measures gallons or liters dispensed?
I don't know why they weigh it beforehand Steve. Maybe its something to do with the filling machine setup.
Old 11-24-2014, 11:40 PM   #46

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Over the years I've always found the lowest price for a full 20lb tank fill at Costco.. twice in November in Calgary $12.06 flat fee for a full fill.. compared to a local filler in Golden BC $17 and a fill at a Sask CO-OP in Carlyle in Oct at $33
Old 11-24-2014, 11:49 PM   #47

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I don't know why they weigh it beforehand Steve. Maybe its something to do with the filling machine setup.
A lot of places that do it by weight sit the tank on a simple balance beam scale.. with the cast weight for a 20 30 or 40#tank on the hanger.. make sure they have the slider over about 3# to allow for the filling fitting and hose assembly
Old 11-25-2014, 12:24 AM   #48

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
If they start with the tare weight and with the fitting and hose attached, then they should be able to just slide the weight over 20 lbs.
Old 11-25-2014, 12:54 AM   #49

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I have very rarely filled up where they do not check the date first. Not sure what the penalty is, but I know there can be one if they neglect this.

Do the gas station attendants in the US have to take some approved training on handling and dispensing propane at a fuel station? They do here. I have had to go to another station before, when they did not have someone trained working at the time.
http://www.propane.ca/sites/default/...2012-04(3).pdf
Yes, training is required in Canada... at least in both Alberta and British Columbia. I have been unable to buy propane because a certified attendant was not available. Despite that...
  • the only place I've seen that has checked the date is the one Costco in Edmonton with propane,
  • one B.C. attendant didn't even check for weight or level (just let the safety backup OPD slam closed), and
  • most attendants don't check the tare at all (they just pre-set the scale to an assumed 17 pounds for the tank plus 20 pounds for the propane).
They do the course (maybe a half day?), but clearly no one is providing effective enforcement.

On my motorhome the 80% bleed valve is opened to monitor fill level. I had one guy mentoring a female employee get so distracted that the two of them walked away after the filling operation leaving the valve open and discharging propane. I closed it; there's no way I would trust the people who do these jobs to fill my tank without supervision or without checking their work.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 08:49 AM   #50

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
While it is true that many gas station attendants are young kids just looking to make money, and are not always that careful, I must have been fortunate that where I have filled, they almost exclusively have checked the date, and never have left the fill station unattended. Could be that I mostly fill ate Calgary Co-op, and their standards there are definitely well above other fuelling stations I have attended. One really can't put all the blame on the attendants, the owners need to care and enforce proper procedure too.

At Calagary Co-op a couple months ago, while fuelling my truck with diesel, a pump four islands away had a fill valve stick, and before the attendant could shut it off (really quickly too), there was a spill on the ground. They quickly shut off all the pumps, ushered patrons into the building, and would not restart any of them until the clean up was complete, which they all quickly attended to it. I just left with a less than full tank, but was glad to see they had an emergency procedure in place, and they acted upon it well.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 09:04 AM   #51

Trailer: 2015 Escape 21'
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotfishtacos View Post
My local U-Haul weights the tank before and after filling. They use the scale to determine when the tank is full. You then pay the measured volume required to fill the tank to the max weight.
Old 11-25-2014, 09:17 AM   #52

Trailer: Escape 19 (sold) Escape 21 2014
Here is another vote for U-Haul. Our local store has a portable credit card reader. After filling my tank (s) they enter the total weight and will immediately swipe my credit card. That's it, I am on my way and no need to go into the store to pay.
fudge_brownie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:26 PM   #53

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Young or old (I've seen both), incompetence and lack of care is rampant... but I'm not really expecting any more for whatever small amount these people are paid. Compliance is the responsibility of station operators, and I agree they're lax... but they probably have little motivation to care, since unsafe practices probably don't lose them much business. Enforcement is the responsibility of the government, which appears to be ineffective (not just here, but widely, based on other discussions). I think the popularity of the exchange services is in part a response to retailers not wanting to manage this responsibility, or risk that enforcement might occur.

In addition to checking the date, the attendant should also :
  • read the tare weight and volume (or water weight) to determine safe filled weight, if filling by weight
  • read the volume (or water weight) to determine target volume fill, and open the 80% bleed valve (liquid level gauge), if filling by volume
  • examine tank condition, including the bottom, for damage or rust.
Is anyone seeing the attendant filling their tanks doing all of these things?

Propane is probably not handled as well as gasoline and diesel, because for most stations propane is a minor sideline.

My point is just that my safety is my responsibility, so instead of entrusting it blindly to others, I take an active interest.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 03:41 PM   #54

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
The guys at my local Husky filling station fill propane tanks for me on a regular basis. They always tell me when my tanks are at the end of their life span and will always fill based on weight. Last time I was in, I had a tank that was probably only half empty, and they only charged me a portion of what the charges were for the other fully empty tank.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2014, 04:29 PM   #55

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I must be doing something wrong, I have never yet had to refill any of my propane tanks on any on my trailers over the past 10 years!!!
Old 11-25-2014, 04:53 PM   #56

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I must be doing something wrong, I have never yet had to refill any of my propane tanks on any on my trailers over the past 10 years!!!
You are supposed to fill the propane tanks when they are empty, Jim; not sell the trailer and buy a new one.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote