Propane problem - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-15-2015, 05:53 AM   #21

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I wouldn't say that anything is a byproduct of refining - all components are valuable products, and dealing with the balance of those components is one of the challenges of the oil and gas industry... you don't get to pick one part and just get that.
The oil companies actually burn a lot of it off, truly a waste, because they don't want to deal with it.

Years ago when I lived in the northeast I remember hearing every year that the oil companies' excuse for high gasoline prices was that it was in "short supply" because the refineries had been concentrating on "making" heating oil to meet the winter need. What a joke! There are X number of gallons of differing products in a barrel of crude and that is fixed; it cannot be adjusted to meet specific demands. The other one I like is the high cost attributed to having to change back and forth between summer and winter blends. If that were true, then their operating processes are extremely inefficient. My opinion (others may vary) is that oil company spokespeople can be full of black water holding tank contents.
Old 09-15-2015, 10:46 AM   #22

Trailer: Escape 15A
I am now wondering if getting oil in the regulator is a problem,is there something one can do to prevent this from happening,a filter inline or something??Also what about the oil that is still in the whole system beyond the regulator,what to do about it,if anything?
Old 09-15-2015, 10:50 AM   #23

Trailer: ESCAPE #3 COMING - 19 FT
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodie View Post
I am now wondering if getting oil in the regulator is a problem,is there something one can do to prevent this from happening,a filter inline or something??Also what about the oil that is still in the whole system beyond the regulator,what to do about it,if anything?
So how did u get the oil out of the regulator. Is there an easy way to check?

Thanks ken
ESCAPE #3, 19FT ON ORDER
TV - NOT YET, THINKING RIDGELINE OR F150
KEN AND DIANA, CALGARY
kvermeulen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:25 PM   #24

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I am now wondering if getting oil in the regulator is a problem,is there something one can do to prevent this from happening,a filter inline or something??
Something like the filter used in a compressed air system? I think the appropriate item would be a coalescing filter - the trick is to find a reasonable one for propane service.

Quote:
Also what about the oil that is still in the whole system beyond the regulator,what to do about it,if anything?
Generally I think it just gets burned, but burning could increase ash deposits, and it makes sense that it could cause problems with gas control valves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kvermeulen View Post
So how did u get the oil out of the regulator.
I poured it out. I don't know how much stayed inside.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2015, 10:26 PM   #25

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
The oil companies actually burn a lot of it off, truly a waste, because they don't want to deal with it.
Yes, sometimes the value of a material isn't high enough to justify the additional costs of using it. An example is perfectly good natural gas flared off where it is co-produced with oil, but there is no gas pipeline infrastructure available - that's a significant issue in some areas. It's valuable gas, just not valuable enough. For this discussion, I suppose it is sufficient to understand that propane production is complicated, and that the result is not a completely pure product... so it can stop your trailer's regulator from working.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2015, 06:54 PM   #26

Trailer: Escape 15A
Quote:
Originally Posted by kvermeulen View Post
So how did u get the oil out of the regulator. Is there an easy way to check?

Thanks ken
My old regulator is still riveted to the trailer as I haven't had time to remove it.It is behind the dual batteries ,so will have to remove the batteries and battery boxes to be able to drill out the rivets.There was oil dripping out of the copper line that I had to replace.