Propane Quick Connect troubles? - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-30-2019, 10:29 AM   #61

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Propane fill

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
And around here, almost no one dispenses propane into portable cylinders by volume - they charge a fixed rate. Got a half-full 20-pounder? You're paying for a full 20-pound fill to top it off.

This isn't important if you use one 5-pound tank a year running a little stove occasionally. Fill it every weekend and the cost (and inconvenience of filling the little tank frequently) adds up.
My large tank for the home dealer also fills small tanks at their shop. A couple weeks ago I took in two empties and a partial about half full. All 20 pounders. The fellow filled them and sent me to the front office to pay. I said I got two fills and about a half. She said we don’t charge for the partials. So just two fills. It’s not too hard to find vendors in our area that will do partials and tanks of any size 5lbs and up. In the cities it’s more expensive than in the smaller towns. Last weekend one of our fellow campers ran out of both tanks. A trip to Clinton he got two fills for $13 a tank.
Iowa Dave
Old 09-30-2019, 10:39 AM   #62

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iowa Dave View Post
My large tank for the home dealer also fills small tanks at their shop. A couple weeks ago I took in two empties and a partial about half full. All 20 pounders. The fellow filled them and sent me to the front office to pay. I said I got two fills and about a half. She said we don’t charge for the partials. So just two fills. It’s not too hard to find vendors in our area that will do partials and tanks of any size 5lbs and up. In the cities it’s more expensive than in the smaller towns. Last weekend one of our fellow campers ran out of both tanks. A trip to Clinton he got two fills for $13 a tank.
Iowa Dave
If you can't find a bulk supplier, check U-Haul or Tractor Supply. While they don't all carry propane, I've found that those that do will usually sell by the gallon.
Old 09-30-2019, 10:46 AM   #63

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
And around here, almost no one dispenses propane into portable cylinders by volume - they charge a fixed rate. Got a half-full 20-pounder? You're paying for a full 20-pound fill to top it off.

This isn't important if you use one 5-pound tank a year running a little stove occasionally. Fill it every weekend and the cost (and inconvenience of filling the little tank frequently) adds up.
I fill up locally by the litre at Calgary Co-op.

Lots of games traveling, like no filling stations in some places, and having to exchange.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 03:37 PM   #64

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I fill up locally by the litre at Calgary Co-op.

Lots of games traveling, like no filling stations in some places, and having to exchange.

It's good to know the local sources. They can be difficult to find; a search in Calgary Co-Op's website doesn't find any reference to propane, let alone information about how it is dispensed and charged, so you need to find their Fuel page, go to the bottom and find a Cylinder Propane Fills filter button, and search locations... and even then the location search tool is not working (for me in Chrome on Windows 10). I can't imagine going through that kind of hassle for each random place where I might need a refill.

Quote:
True. Propane cylinder exchanges are a terrible deal, but aside from that... they only handle 20-pound steel cylinders, so they are useless for people using smaller cylinders (as being discussed here), larger cylinders (30-pound are common on larger travel trailers), or special types of cylinder (such as those made of aluminum or fiberglass, or with a level gauge).
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 05:30 PM   #65

Trailer: "SOJOURNER" a 2019 17B
While you're still on the subject ...

Because I need to bake my own breads and most other baked goods (celiac disease), I didn't order the microwave but have been eyeing the new Camp Chef stove. Amazon's blurb says: "Compatible with 1 lb Disposable Propane Bottles and Bulk Tanks with Hose Adapter." I did opt for the exterior propane quick connect with 12" propane hose & adapter (low pressure). Will this suffice?

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/...MYASBFNR&psc=1

Life is a journey, not a destination. - Ralph Waldo Emerson
brightday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2019, 10:32 PM   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightday View Post
... have been eyeing the new Camp Chef stove. Amazon's blurb says: "Compatible with 1 lb Disposable Propane Bottles and Bulk Tanks with Hose Adapter."
Every portable propane appliance is compatible with disposable propane bottles and bulk tanks. That just means it uses propane, and includes a regulator.

Quote:
I did opt for the exterior propane quick connect with 12" propane hose & adapter (low pressure). Will this suffice?

That's the link for the Camp Chef Outdoor Oven, but it's not clear to me what adapter you are planning. I assume that you meant that you opted for the exterior propane quick connect with 12 foot hose from Escape; that's good but you still need a way to connect that hose to the stove, and to bypass the stove's standard regulator. There is an adapter which replaces the stove's regulator with a fitting to allow connection to the hose from the Escape's low pressure port, strangely called RV Hose to Disposable Adapter (I suppose because it adapts the stove to not use disposable cylinders).
Old 09-30-2019, 11:30 PM   #67

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Quote:
While you're still on the subject ...

Because I need to bake my own breads and most other baked goods (celiac disease), I didn't order the microwave but have been eyeing the new Camp Chef stove. Amazon's blurb says: "Compatible with 1 lb Disposable Propane Bottles and Bulk Tanks with Hose Adapter." I did opt for the exterior propane quick connect with 12" propane hose & adapter (low pressure). Will this suffice?

We had a Camp Chef stand-alone oven with cooktop when we had our 17B. We found it to be tricky to regulate temperature in general, and particularly so in windy outdoor conditions. For those reasons, and others, we didn’t use it all that often, despite being on the road with the 17B for a year straight. Missing a reliable oven was the #2 reason that we moved up to a 19 (with its own, indoor oven). #1 reason was the permanent queen bed.
Old 09-30-2019, 11:36 PM   #68

Quote:
There is an adapter which replaces the stove's regulator with a fitting to allow connection to the hose from the Escape's low pressure port, strangely called RV Hose to Disposable Adapter (I suppose because it adapts the stove to not use disposable cylinders).
"Adapts the stove to NOT use disposable cylinders." So … okay. Gonna order that adapter and deeply appreciate your taking the time to explain, Brian!

Old 11-20-2019, 02:58 PM   #69

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17B
Quote:
"Adapts the stove to NOT use disposable cylinders." So … okay. Gonna order that adapter and deeply appreciate your taking the time to explain, Brian!

Many portable stoves/ovens out there are high pressure but the Escape propane system is low pressure. My Camp Chef stove is a high pressure stove, does not work well with the quick connect as it is set up now. The quick connect is in line after the low pressure regulator.
Back to my earlier post, but a new question....The regulator on the Escape coming off of the tanks is a low pressure regulator. Can I put a high pressure regulator at the propane tanks, followed by the quick couple, then put the a low pressure regulator after that. This should provide a the appropriate pressure for high pressure stove and with the second low pressure regulator behind it, provide appropriate pressure for the Escape appliances....
Buddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2019, 04:56 PM   #70

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
You can tap in before the low pressure regulator but from what I've seen the high pressure regulator is usually on the device itself, with no need to add one.
Old 11-20-2019, 07:56 PM   #71

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
Many portable stoves/ovens out there are high pressure but the Escape propane system is low pressure. My Camp Chef stove is a high pressure stove, does not work well with the quick connect as it is set up now. The quick connect is in line after the low pressure regulator.
Back to my earlier post, but a new question....The regulator on the Escape coming off of the tanks is a low pressure regulator. Can I put a high pressure regulator at the propane tanks, followed by the quick couple, then put the a low pressure regulator after that. This should provide a the appropriate pressure for high pressure stove and with the second low pressure regulator behind it, provide appropriate pressure for the Escape appliances....
I use a Camp Chef Ranger II with the LP QC and love it. All I did was remove the regulator and install a male QC fitting using a 3/8" flare fitting 90. Same with my BBQ and firepit, removed the regulator from the appliance and add a male connector. I can use the BBQ and stove at the same time with a splitter.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 11-20-2019, 09:19 PM   #72

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Quote:
Originally Posted by sclifrickson View Post
We had a Camp Chef stand-alone oven with cooktop when we had our 17B. We found it to be tricky to regulate temperature in general, and particularly so in windy outdoor conditions. For those reasons, and others, we didn’t use it all that often, despite being on the road with the 17B for a year straight. Missing a reliable oven was the #2 reason that we moved up to a 19 (with its own, indoor oven). #1 reason was the permanent queen bed.
Scott- is the built-in RV oven really all that great? We too have a Camp Chef portable oven with two burner cooktop and love it. Recently with an unusual amount of wind we set it inside, opened windows & vents and it worked great. Meantime we prefer more counter space and storage sans built-in oven.
Old 11-20-2019, 11:36 PM   #73

Quote:
Many portable stoves/ovens out there are high pressure but the Escape propane system is low pressure. My Camp Chef stove is a high pressure stove...
Quote:
I use a Camp Chef Ranger II with the LP QC and love it. All I did was remove the regulator and install a male QC fitting using a 3/8" flare fitting 90...
This illustrates why it's important to understand the specific appliance. Camp Chef sells both high-pressure stoves (the Mountain Series) and low pressure stoves (the classic 14" and 16" series, the Ranger II, etc). The Mountain Series cannot be readily converted to use low-pressure propane, but the high-pressure Outdoor Oven apparently can be readily adapted, as discussed in post #66.
Old 11-21-2019, 12:54 AM   #74

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
Camp Chef Ranger II

Quote:
I use a Camp Chef Ranger II with the LP QC and love it. All I did was remove the regulator and install a male QC fitting using a 3/8" flare fitting 90. Same with my BBQ and firepit, removed the regulator from the appliance and add a male connector. I can use the BBQ and stove at the same time with a splitter.
I have the same Camp Chef Ranger II stove but bought another 12 foot hose with 3/8" flare fitting on one end and a male QC fitting on the other and attached the hose directly to the stove. I only tried it once as I bought it at the end of camping season but it seemed to work well.

I was going to try just adding the QC fitting onto the stove but had a hard time finding the right fitting so just went with the hose.
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 07:27 AM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Scott- is the built-in RV oven really all that great? We too have a Camp Chef portable oven with two burner cooktop and love it. Recently with an unusual amount of wind we set it inside, opened windows & vents and it worked great. Meantime we prefer more counter space and storage sans built-in oven.
Ross, my wife absolutely loves our range, and as a result so do I, as I get to enjoy all the great things she bakes in it.

Yes, we can bake in the BBQ outside, and have many times in the past, but that becomes my job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by yangstyle View Post
I have the same Camp Chef Ranger II stove but bought another 12 foot hose with 3/8" flare fitting on one end and a male QC fitting on the other and attached the hose directly to the stove. I only tried it once as I bought it at the end of camping season but it seemed to work well.

I was going to try just adding the QC fitting onto the stove but had a hard time finding the right fitting so just went with the hose.
For the most part I used this pigtail on my appliances, as it stows nice and is handy for connection too. Though not the best prices, Tejas Smokers offers lots of great LP hoses. You can easily pick up just a nipple too. Click on photos for links..

I used this 90° flare fitting mounted right to the stove to aim the connection to the rear of the stove for better storage.

Old 11-21-2019, 09:14 AM   #76

Quote:
This illustrates why it's important to understand the specific appliance. Camp Chef sells both high-pressure stoves (the Mountain Series) and low pressure stoves (the classic 14" and 16" series, the Ranger II, etc). The Mountain Series cannot be readily converted to use low-pressure propane, but the high-pressure Outdoor Oven apparently can be readily adapted, as discussed in post #66.
Agree, need to understand if the appliance is high or low pressure. The high output camp chef stoves, I believe are all high pressure. My 14" Yukon stove is certainly high pressure. When connected thru the quick connect below the low pressure regulator, it does light but does not burn with much intensity. I think any of those high output stoves ie 20,000 BTU burners, etc. are all high pressure.
You can adapt the oven/stove to fit to a quick connect thru a hose adapter, but it is still a high pressure appliance. It might light but will not function well with low pressure.
Old 11-21-2019, 09:18 AM   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
You can tap in before the low pressure regulator but from what I've seen the high pressure regulator is usually on the device itself, with no need to add one.
In this case, the regulator is on the hose which attaches to the stove and the tank. But as you suggest, I could add the quick connect above the regulator and use the quick connect with the necessary regulator for that specific appliance. I'll check with a guy I know to see if it will meet regulations.
Old 11-21-2019, 10:26 AM   #78

Quote:
The high output camp chef stoves, I believe are all high pressure. My 14" Yukon stove is certainly high pressure. When connected thru the quick connect below the low pressure regulator, it does light but does not burn with much intensity. I think any of those high output stoves ie 20,000 BTU burners, etc. are all high pressure.
No, it is the other way around.

To be clear, "high pressure" means that the appliance is designed to accept propane at the pressure it comes from the cylinder (tank), which depends strongly on temperature but is 700 kPa (100 PSI) or more at typical camping temperatures. "Low pressure" means regulated down to a constant and much lower pressure, which is normally 11 inches of water column, or about 2.7 kPa or 0.4 PSI. That means that high-pressure appliances have the regulator built-in, and low-pressure appliances depend on a separate regulator (such as the one on the trailer).

This can be a bit confusing, because some appliances use specific regulators to run on propane pressure which is low compared to the tank pressure, but still much higher than 11" WC. This is usually done to enable more propane flow for very high heat output, far beyond 20,000 BTU/hr. For instance, the Stainless Steel High Output Single Burner Cooker and Maximum Output Single Cooker have regulators which are painted red to indicate their higher output pressure, and their burners are rated at 60,000 BTU/hr. These appliances will not operate properly on the trailer's low-pressure propane supply.

Quote:
Camp Chef sells both high-pressure stoves (the Mountain Series) and low pressure stoves (the classic 14" and 16" series, the Ranger II, etc)
The Yukon is one of Camp Chef's 14" stoves. The pressure in the hose from the regulator is at 11" WC, which is enough for the 20,000 BTU/hr burners. If the trailer's regulator is running a bit low, or too much pressure is lost in flow through the piping, the stove will not get enough pressure and won't work properly.
Old 11-21-2019, 11:01 AM   #79

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
Ross we have a oven in our 19 . The first item to go on the list and always have had in our rv’s . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2019, 02:43 PM   #80

To get clear on what is needed, I wrote Camp Chef's customer support as follows:

"I just purchased an Escape 17B from Canada. It has two 20-lb. tanks, and I opted for the exterior propane quick connect that comes with a 12-ft. hose, as I wanted to avoid the portable tanks. What adaptors (if any) will I need to purchase in order to make this work, and do you offer these for sale? If not, can you provide links for the products needed?"

Below is the response I received. I'm going to wait until after the New Year, then purchase all together. I wish they sold the oven without the burners but may find myself glad of them later.

"Thank you for your email. You can connect the COVENT to a quick connect supply as long as it is regulated at low pressure. Here are the links to the adapter and the hose that you would need to do so."

https://www.campchef.com/rv-hose-to-...e-adapter.html
RV Hose to Disposable Adapter - Camp Chef

https://www.campchef.com/rv-connection-hose.html
RV connection hose - Camp Chef