Propane Quick Connect troubles? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-14-2019, 02:39 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 E19
Send a message via MSN to Lynda Send a message via Yahoo to Lynda
Propane Quick Connect troubles?

My brand new E19 was delivered to me in June. I've had it out a couple of times and I am beyond happy with my new trailer. But there is one little issue I cannot figure out and it's bugging me to no end.. One of the options we ordered on our build sheet was the Exterior Propane Quick Connect with 12' Propane Hose and Adapter (Low Pressure). This seemed like it would be an easy and incredibly useful option. BUT... when I try to attach the 12' hose into the PQC, it just slides in there and sits there, there's no satisfying click as one would expect when it connects.

Am I truly just simply overlooking something obvious?
I searched the internet and found this guy seems to be experiencing the same issue on another model trailer;
https://youtu.be/GNuKv6LfLFQ
he's put a lot more effort into solving it than me -- I'm just packing some 16 oz propane canisters for my grill... for now... But I really wanna figure this out. Ideas? TIA
Lynda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 02:52 PM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
One end or the other is incorrect, they have to be a matched set to work. I'd go through ETI to get a matched set that works. In the video I can see a difference between the 2 make ends he holds up, that's enough to make them not mate correctly.

I've run into this with compressor fittings. Sometimes just differing manufactures is enough.
Old 09-14-2019, 03:55 PM   #3

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
It isn't really a "click" connector. As long as the sleeve can slide into place after the hose is plugged in, and the valve handle can be turned on, it's connected properly.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2019, 04:23 PM   #4

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
When making a quick connection you should not be able to pull them apart without sliding the (un-locking) sleeve. Made my own quick connect system and learned that not all quick connect connections are the same. They may look identical but...the ones meant for water are quite different than the ones meant for propane gas.
Old 09-14-2019, 04:31 PM   #5

Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions: I'm taking the trailer out to a campground on Monday for the week. Will be trying your suggestions. I've got a couple of Coleman canisters packed on board, so I won't be stuck if I cannot get the PQC working...
Old 09-14-2019, 07:06 PM   #6

What do you have for a grill? I take it you had converted it over for the trailers low pressure, and you'll need to convert it back for the little canisters.
Old 09-14-2019, 09:35 PM   #7

I have a Coleman 2 Burner Grill Stove Combo..
I dont know anything about converting it for the canisters It works fine with them. Will I need to some sort of converting for it to work with the quick connect?
Old 09-14-2019, 09:39 PM   #8

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynda View Post
I dont know anything about converting it for the canisters It works fine with them. Will I need to some sort of converting for it to work with the quick connect?
Yes... and you likely won't be able to convert that appliance for operation from the low pressure connection at all. Anything that works from a large tank will work with the one-pound cylinders, and the other way around, with a simple adapter at most; any size of propane tank (including the little cylinders) provides the same high pressure. Converting to work on low pressure is more complicated.

There have been a few discussions of conversions in the forum. The general theme is that some appliances are easy to convert by just removing a regulator and connecting the new hose, but the design of the controls of some appliances can't be readily changed to work with a low-pressure propane supply.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 12:21 AM   #9

Trailer: 2018 -21-picked up in May 2019 / 2018 F 150 5.0
Quick connect

Quote:
My brand new E19 was delivered to me in June. I've had it out a couple of times and I am beyond happy with my new trailer. But there is one little issue I cannot figure out and it's bugging me to no end.. One of the options we ordered on our build sheet was the Exterior Propane Quick Connect with 12' Propane Hose and Adapter (Low Pressure). This seemed like it would be an easy and incredibly useful option. BUT... when I try to attach the 12' hose into the PQC, it just slides in there and sits there, there's no satisfying click as one would expect when it connects.

Am I truly just simply overlooking something obvious?
I searched the internet and found this guy seems to be experiencing the same issue on another model trailer;
https://youtu.be/GNuKv6LfLFQ
he's put a lot more effort into solving it than me -- I'm just packing some 16 oz propane canisters for my grill... for now... But I really wanna figure this out. Ideas? TIA
We just tried our quick connect this week and you have to have the valve turned on When you make the connection otherwise it will not go all the way in. I was not able to convert my Coleman stove. I bought a camp chef stove and a nex grill BBQ from Costco, they were easy to convert.
yangstyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 06:03 AM   #10

Do you mean the valve on the trailers QC port? Things must have changed, I've never turned mine on till after everything is hooked up.
Old 09-15-2019, 06:40 AM   #11

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I just carry an extra 20lb tank for my cooking and a spare green in case of emptiness situations.
Old 09-15-2019, 07:23 AM   #12

Location: Lanesboro, MN, between Whalan and Fountain, Minnesota
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ - (2018 Escape 5.0 sold)
On our six week maiden voyage from Chilliwack we found that too often our picnic table would be too far away for our hose to reach. Luckily we hadn't converted our stove or grill. Previously we had purchased a Flame King refillable propane kit and an extra bottle. I don't want to carry one hose, much less two so we can reach those far-away picnic tables.

This worked fine, but when on the road for extended periods it got tedious to remove a 20# tank from our 5.0 to fill the bottles. We looked at the cost of changeover for the stove/grill, plus an extra hose and decided to purchase a 13# LP bottle. Should have bought that 13# bottle years ago!

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 09-15-2019, 08:34 AM   #13

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Coleman stoves cannot be converted to a trailer 11" water column output as they work at a different pressure, which I believe is higher.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yangstyle View Post
We just tried our quick connect this week and you have to have the valve turned on When you make the connection otherwise it will not go all the way in.
I believe you mean valve off to connect. LP connections cannot be made with the valve on.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
On our six week maiden voyage from Chilliwack we found that too often our picnic table would be too far away for our hose to reach. Luckily we hadn't converted our stove or grill.
I have never had trouble reaching a table if I wanted to used one. If it is more than 25' away it is just too far. I do carry a regulator and hose to connect to a 20 lb bottle away from the trailer, but have never used it while camping yet.

I just gotta say that I am one who just loves the convenience of the LP QC.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2019, 10:09 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perryb67 View Post
On our six week maiden voyage from Chilliwack we found that too often our picnic table would be too far away for our hose to reach.
That's when I cook on the tailgate of the truck, the hose always reaches.
Old 09-15-2019, 11:10 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
That's when I cook on the tailgate of the truck, the hose always reaches.
And "that" is a difference between you and me. We don't want to be tied to our tailgate. We're camping in the outdoors, not in the parking lot for a Vikings game.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 09-15-2019, 11:19 AM   #16

Where do you leave the truck, somewhere down the road?
Old 09-15-2019, 11:27 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Where do you leave the truck, somewhere down the road?
Na, near the camper.

Enjoy,

Perry
Old 09-15-2019, 12:33 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

I have a couple of these extension hoses in different lengths, haven’t camped in a spot I couldn’t reach the picnic table yet.

https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07TXGZYQH/..._bvNFDb8Y5V8YT
Old 09-15-2019, 01:09 PM   #19

Trailer: Escape 21
This won’t work for my 17” Blackstone with the BS regulator removed.
https://propanegear.com/converta-bp-...7-22-griddles/
Can’t light the griddle. Is it not compatible, or is there something needed to be done on the ETI quick adapt system?
Old 09-15-2019, 01:32 PM   #20

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rrgramps View Post
This won’t work for my 17” Blackstone with the BS regulator removed.
https://propanegear.com/converta-bp-...7-22-griddles/
Can’t light the griddle. Is it not compatible, or is there something needed to be done on the ETI quick adapt system?

It looks like it should work, are both valves (one on the trailer quick connect and the one on the hose quick connect) turned on?