Propane Regulator Failure - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-06-2015, 10:07 AM   #41
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
And I'd say Google is your friend. You might be right about the training part, but a simple web search would find a regulator for under $40 - not $144. And, Escape has no way of knowing what a service center will charge for repair/replacement of a particular item. The $144 is not their fault. They didn't just tell him to take it to a service center (a better trained/more knowledgable person might have advised just to replace it instead), but they also said it wasn't covered. When I hear "not covered" I assume all costs are my responsibility, and I therefore shop around.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:12 AM   #42

Trailer: Escape
"Imply anything at all that questions ETI business practices and look out! "
Yes, unwarranted criticism, unrealistic suggestions, or the posts are deleted. Not all of the escape owners drink the cool-aid and or wave pompoms.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:15 AM   #43

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rossue View Post
What I would say is this: for $144 Escape could have avoided this negative publicity.
I guess it is a matter of perception then, as I did not for a moment consider this as negative publicity. $144 is not a big deal, but it would also set up a precedence that Escape could/should cover all warranty items.

If it was part of the build process that where an issue arose, and not one of a suppliers warranty, like in the case of your screws, the solar panel mounts, etc, I agree they should cover that.
Quote:
Imply anything at all that questions ETI business practices and look out!
It is more when the integrity of Escape, being Tammy and Reace, are questioned, that some of us that have got to know them fairly well come to their defence. I truly believe that they run their business with the best of intents, and customer service is a huge part of that.

It is also just a part of who I am, to put trust in people, and always be positive and hope for the best. If for some reason someone buggers this up and takes advantage of this disposition, karma will take care of them.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:21 AM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
Not all of the escape owners drink the cool-aid and or wave pompoms.

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Old 08-06-2015, 10:26 AM   #45

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
I hate to point it out, but the $144.00 charge to replace a regulator is not out of line. Most repair shops are charging between $90.00 & $120.00 per hour for labor. Subtract the cost of the regulator & that leaves about the right amount of time to do the change. Labor costs are one of the reasons I try to do everything myself.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:27 AM   #46

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
"Imply anything at all that questions ETI business practices and look out! "
Yes, unwarranted criticism, unrealistic suggestions, or the posts are deleted. Not all of the escape owners drink the cool-aid and or wave pompoms.
I have not deleted any post criticizing ETI. BTW, you might want to re-read your second sentence and re-write it so that it makes sense.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:29 AM   #47

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
I've been following this thread with interest, mostly because a post I made a while back regarding the ETI warranty was taken down by one of the administrators and I was waiting to see if similar comments/observations would suffer the same fate; we'll see.

IMHO, the issue at hand is to what extent is ETI expected to meet their stated warranty: "A full two-year warranty is provided on the completed Escape trailer" (from ETI website).

This statement is, on its face, all inclusive and does not imply that any warranty service responsibilies are to be fulfilled by third-parties for their component parts. This seemingly puts the onus on ETI to meet any and all warranty provisions.

With that said, it is unreasonable to expect ETI to handle every failure of its component parts. This could be easily addressed by amending their warranty to say that ETI warrants the manufacture of the trailer but that individual components are warranted by their manufacturer. This would still represent a very generous warranty and be fair to all parties concerned.
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:36 AM   #48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
With that said, it is unreasonable to expect ETI to handle every failure of its component parts. This could be easily addressed by amending their warranty to say that ETI warrants the manufacture of the trailer but that individual components are warranted by their manufacturer. This would still represent a very generous warranty and be fair to all parties concerned.
Is this not stated at all in the purchase contract? If not, I would agree it should be, and not just implied. I include a similar clause in my contracts, where suppliers and subcontractors supply warranty for their products and services.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:36 AM   #49

Quote:
I've been following this thread with interest, mostly because a post I made a while back regarding the ETI warranty was taken down by one of the administrators .
I just used Google search site to look up "Zardoz and warranty". Google found 18 threads in which you posted. They are still there.
Old 08-06-2015, 10:46 AM   #50

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
I've been following this thread with interest, mostly because a post I made a while back regarding the ETI warranty was taken down by one of the administrators and I was waiting to see if similar comments/observations would suffer the same fate; we'll see.
I've seen numerous posts that disparage ETI so if a post truly was taken down, it probably was for a different reason--like violating community rules or being too inflammatory.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 10:51 AM   #51

Quote:
See page one of your Escape manual.
Attached Thumbnails
warranty.jpg  
Old 08-06-2015, 11:11 AM   #52

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Houston, we have a problem, we're not all on the same page. ( are we ever ) This is Page 3 of my manual.

I have to say, with that wording, a litigious person would seem to have a good argument that any item requiring replacement in the first 2 years would be covered.

Ron
Attached Thumbnails
06-08-2015 9-05-10 AM_0001_resize.JPG  
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:14 AM   #53

Trailer: 2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA
Quote:
What I would say is this: for $144 Escape could have avoided this negative publicity. I can't tell you how many times we bent over backwards to take care of the customer in our cellphone stores. It comes with the business.

......... I was blamed for the rusty screws by several forum members initially(didn't manage your condensation-blah,blah) and it was just typical of the responses we still see today. Imply anything at all that questions ETI business practices and look out!
It seems that the negative publicity comes from the same 3 or 4 people and from being in business myself I've learnt that there are some people you can never please no matter how hard you try.

The balance of us are very pleased with the with the service and product from Escape. Escape has a reputation for superior customer service and a superior product and they bend over backwards to please their customers when problems do arise. Therefore, because of this reputation, they have to be careful that they are not taken advantage of by customers that are professional whiners.

No one is forcing anyone to keep their Escape and if they sell it I doubt that they would loose much money, if any. This would give them the opportunity to go ahead and buy another brand of trailer and then they would really have something to whine about. For the ones that do this I truly hope that they keep us informed as to how they make out. But, having said this, I've never come across a thread that is titled, "I'm selling my Escape because it's a crappy product and the customer service stinks."

Barry

2012 Escape "Classic" 5.0 SA / 2017 F150, 2.7 EcoBoost 4X4 Supercab
Former trailers: 2005 Escape 17B / 1972 Boler 13'
barry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:17 AM   #54

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I guess this thread has run it's course, so it will be suspended while the moderators discuss if it should remain open as it is no longer on subject.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:05 PM   #55

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
This thread has been reactivated and a reminder needs to be mentioned here:
According the the forum rules
Dealer/Vendor and Customer Disputes
This forum is not intended to be a mechanism for people to vent frustrations about vendors or sales from private parties. Please settle your differences with the seller, manufacturer and dealer through other means but not through our community.

Thus the temporary closure and reopening to the thread. Please keep in mind these rules, thank you for your cooperation.
Old 08-06-2015, 09:05 PM   #56
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I've never deleted anyone's post unless it was an exact duplicate. Those folks who are miserable will always be miserable, they don't need my help or anyone elses.

I haven't read anything that would cause me to stop reading this thread. Everyone has an opinion, like body parts. Taken with a grain of salt too.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:10 PM   #57

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vermilye View Post
I hate to point it out, but the $144.00 charge to replace a regulator is not out of line. Most repair shops are charging between $90.00 & $120.00 per hour for labor. Subtract the cost of the regulator & that leaves about the right amount of time to do the change. Labor costs are one of the reasons I try to do everything myself.
I agree with the reasoning, but maybe not the value. Any RV tech that takes an hour to change a trailer's propane regulator must be taking a couple of coffee breaks along the way... it's three hose connections. Any tech that spends more of the customer's money tweaking a regulator than a new one would cost isn't being very responsible with the customer's money.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2015, 11:16 PM   #58

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
About that propane regulator failure...

I have had regulator issues, and never even considered a warranty claim, either to the regulator manufacturer, or to the RV manufacturer, or to the aftermarket warranty (really insurance) company. It's just too small for the hassle, especially when I'm doing the work anyway so there's no labour charge. Having used propane regulators for extended periods in relatively low temperatures and had oil contamination and freeze-up issues, I am not a fan of propane (it's not great, it's just the lesser evil in fuel choices) and I consider regulators almost disposable.

Although the auto-changeover feature can be valuable, I consider it worse than useless at very low temperatures (since there isn't enough tank pressure to run the switch reliably). I realize that wasn't the issue here, but I'm still not surprised by a problem due to the extra complexity of these switching regulators - my only surprise is that the auto-changeover switch trip pressure (which is probably a pressure difference between inputs) can be adjusted.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2015, 06:39 AM   #59

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
I agree with the reasoning, but maybe not the value. Any RV tech that takes an hour to change a trailer's propane regulator must be taking a couple of coffee breaks along the way... it's three hose connections. Any tech that spends more of the customer's money tweaking a regulator than a new one would cost isn't being very responsible with the customer's money.
Exactly!
Old 08-07-2015, 01:21 PM   #60

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
ETI has offered to pay 50% of the cost. I'm not sure why, but I'm grateful. Perhaps they've been following this thread, . If this happens again, I am going to replace it myself now that I know its not covered under warranty. Thanks for all of your contributions!
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote