Propane Regulator Failure - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2015, 11:59 AM   #1

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Propane Regulator Failure

I recently experienced a unique problem with the regulator. One day after filling both tanks, suddenly the propane regulator on the passenger side quit working. I switched the regulator to the driver side and the propane flowed again. To help eliminate the tank as the problem, I switched the tanks, and once again the passenger side stopped working. We were on a trip so I contacted ETI and was instructed by Rae to take the trailer to a qualified service center. I took it to Camping World in Las Vegas when we returned home, they were able to correct the issue with what was described as a "adjustment". When I asked what adjustment was made to correct the issue, I was told by the service adviser that he only knows what the technician puts on the service order. Has anyone else experienced this issue. Please keep in mind that the trailer was new and picked up in January, we have only take 7-8 trips with it and hardly used the propane system as most of our cooking is outside.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 12:11 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I'd have the service person to ask the technician, if you paid for this you should know what you paid for.
Old 08-05-2015, 01:02 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
I'd have the service person to ask the technician, if you paid for this you should know what you paid for.
I took your advice, they had to remove the regulator and adjust the pressure. Again, has anyone else experience this in such a short period after purchase or anytime for that matter?

Thanks,
Mike
Old 08-05-2015, 01:16 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 "Lightning"
I believe mine needs that adjustment too...after about 60 days use.

Both tanks are full now so any followup will be awhile from now.
BCnomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 02:19 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by BCnomad View Post
I believe mine needs that adjustment too...after about 60 days use.

Both tanks are full now so any followup will be awhile from now.
I hope yours does not cost as much as mine, $144.00.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:28 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
If it cost you $144 for a regulator adjustment, I would contest that with the service writer. Auto switch-over regulators can be purchased for less than $50. No repair should cost more than a new unit.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:34 PM   #7

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Just checked Camping World. $60.89 for an auto switchover regulator, and CW's prices can be high. I would definitely go back and complain rather loudly, using the term rip-off if I were you. Installing a new regulator takes maybe 15 minutes, and you could probably do it yourself.
Old 08-05-2015, 02:47 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
Just checked Camping World. $60.89 for an auto switchover regulator, and CW's prices can be high. I would definitely go back and complain rather loudly, using the term rip-off if I were you. Installing a new regulator takes maybe 15 minutes, and you could probably do it yourself.
I'm certain I could do it myself, however, I thought this would be a item covered under warranty. ETI refused to cover it. They said it was caused by elevation and travel and is considered general maintenance. I have to take issue with this, after 7 trips a regulator fails due to adjustment? I believe regulators are designed to be more reliable than that?
Old 08-05-2015, 03:51 PM   #9

Trailer: Escape
Very frustrating ! Yet another component to add to the exempted from warranty and
maintenance list.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:03 PM   #10

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The warranty covers the trailer, not necessarily hoses, tires, heaters, air conditioners and other items installed by Escape but manufactured by others. Perhaps the regulator is covered under warranty, did you contact the manufacturer, not the installer. As Escape discloses, items installed by them but made by others are not covered by Escape. We are fortunate they handled the Dometic issue for those who needed it.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:09 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
This is unfortunate, and illustrates that all should carefully read their owner's manual. In all cases of warranty coverage by ETI, you must first get authorization, as stated.

When my window screws rusted I called Escape. While waiting for a response I called Hehr, the window manufacturer and they told me the screws were not supplied by them but by the OEM (Escape). They did take care of it.

When my brakes started malfunctioning I just called Dexter without calling Escape and they were great to work with. Others have the similar experience with Andersen.

Edit: I would complain too then if no satisfaction then dispute the charge with my credit card company. That's why I don't like places like Camping World for service. The service writers are like those at car dealerships- they're service salespeople and get commissions in most cases on the total bill.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 04:09 PM   #12

Trailer: Escape
Quote:
The warranty covers the trailer, not necessarily hoses, tires, heaters, air conditioners and other items installed by Escape but manufactured by others. Perhaps the regulator is covered under warranty, did you contact the manufacturer, not the installer. As Escape discloses, items installed by them but made by others are not covered by Escape. We are fortunate they handled the Dometic issue for those who needed it.
They "handled" the dometic issue for some owners (6.7). Have not offered resolution for the "unfortunate " those of us that opted for the standard offered (4.7) frig for the 19.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:10 PM   #13

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
$144.00 to use a screw driver? Sounds like another reason to avoid Camping World.
Old 08-05-2015, 04:18 PM   #14

Trailer: 2013 Escape 15A
Send a message via Skype™ to KarenH
Quote:
As Escape discloses, items installed by them but made by others are not covered by Escape.
I simply do not understand the confusion and frustration about this. ETI makes it explicitly clear that they do not provide warranty guarantee or service for components made by others. If I were so unhappy with a company or their service, I would bite the bullet, assume I had a lemon and sell whatever it is that is giving me so much stress and then move on.
'22 GMC Acadia Denali
KarenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2015, 04:22 PM   #15
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
9984 type regulators are usually warranted for LIFE. If you ever have a problem with one, just contact the manufacturer for a replacement. No need to 'repair' it, or get raked over the coals by Camping World. Failing that, just buy a new one. They're cheap, as others have pointed out.

For instance, this 9984, from Marshall Excelsior, with a lifetime warranty, is under $40:

http://www.rvautoparts.com/product.a...pbDBoCPT_w_wcB
Old 08-05-2015, 04:27 PM   #16

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarenH View Post
I simply do not understand the confusion and frustration about this. ETI makes it explicitly clear that they do not provide warranty guarantee or service for components made by others. If I were so unhappy with a company or their service, I would bite the bullet, assume I had a lemon and sell whatever it is that is giving me so much stress and then move on.
I have to agree with Karen. My regulator failed after 3 years - it started leaking propane out of the connector for the tank you removed when refilling. Bought a new on at Amazon for $35.00, had it shipped to a campground & replaced it in about an hour.

As to Escape's service, I had a bad taillight on a 4 1/4 year old trailer. They replaced it (1 1/2 hours labor) at no charge. I suspect there are few manufacturers that would do that...
Old 08-05-2015, 05:15 PM   #17

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Propane Regulator Failure

Quote:

Well said Karen.
If I were as unhappy with my trailer as some seem to be I would sell it (probably for close to what I purchased it for) and buy something else. That said I like my trailer and think the quality overall is better then most other brands.

Cheers
Doug
Old 08-05-2015, 05:22 PM   #18

Quote:
Jim, you may have a valid point. In cases where the manufacture is responsible, ETI should at least send you in that direction and perhaps provide a contact. However, in this case, there position was that its not covered under warranty, which leaves me somewhat perplexed. I always like to use the car analogy, because most everyone can relate. If you bought a car and suddenly the fuel pump stop pumping due to an adjustment, would you feel like you were responsible for the repair, and it should not be covered under warranty? I don't see a big difference with this situation.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:27 PM   #19

Quote:

Let's not jump to extreme measures here! I have no intention of selling. I just think that a failure after using the trailer (7) times should be given warranty consideration...and also was curious if others had similar experiences with their propane regulators.
Old 08-05-2015, 05:28 PM   #20

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba55 View Post
Jim, you may have a valid point. In cases where the manufacture is responsible, ETI should at least send you in that direction and perhaps provide a contact.
I don't understand where these narratives come from. Did anybody say that ETI didn't help with directions and contacts?