Propane tank security - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 03-02-2015, 01:43 PM   #1

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Propane tank security

I was out looking over the propane tanks to determine how long a cable lock I required to lock them to the trailer, and realized I didn't need a cable.
Unless the trailer is hooked up, I can just used the safety chains and a padlock.
Attached Thumbnails
Propane tank lock.jpg  
Old 03-02-2015, 01:45 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Great idea!! Gonna do that.
Rossue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 01:59 PM   #3

Trailer: 2014 17B;2012 Nissan Frontier SV 4
how many instances of propane tank theft have Forum members experienced.

why do you think locking down the propane is worth the effort Glenn? (I've always been impressed by your 'keep things simple' approach to things and must say I'm curious )

Larry
LarryandLiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:02 PM   #4
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryandLiz View Post
I've always been impressed by your 'keep things simple' approach to things and must say I'm curious
It is simple. He doesn't want to get ripped off.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:12 PM   #5

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
why do you think locking down the propane is worth the effort Glenn?

Larry
Probably from reading paranoia on RV forums. There are at least a dozen RVs "camping" on the streets near the mall about 2 k from here.
At least this doesn't cost me anything ( have padlocks ) and I'll only do it for storage.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:16 PM   #6

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA, 2014- RAM HEMI 8 spd
Quote:
how many instances of propane tank theft have Forum members experienced.

why do you think locking down the propane is worth the effort Glenn? (I've always been impressed by your 'keep things simple' approach to things and must say I'm curious )

Larry
People will steal anything, better to take a little precaution then find yourself without propane...and it would never come at a good time. Looks like a great idea to me.
Scuba55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:22 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba55 View Post
People will steal anything, better to take a little precaution then find yourself without propane...and it would never come at a good time. Looks like a great idea to me.
I have a slightly different take on it from my years in law enforcement:

CRIMINALS will steal anything. If you want a job that can destroy your faith in human nature, try being a cop. Part of the reason why I no longer do it - and I'm FAR happier because of it.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:30 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I have a slightly different take on it from my years in law enforcement:

CRIMINALS will steal anything. If you want a job that can destroy your faith in human nature, try being a cop. Part of the reason why I no longer do it - and I'm FAR happier because of it.
Good point! I think locking everything, and taking every possible precaution to protect yourself is always a good idea . Criminals seem to be everywhere these days.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:34 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba55 View Post
Good point! I think locking everything, and taking every possible precaution to protect yourself is always a good idea . Criminals seem to be everywhere these days.
Yup. Part of me wants to go out there and kick their butt, and the other part of me is forever grateful that I'm not doing that anymore. If you ever get the chance to say hello to a cop, make sure you tell them you appreciate what they do.
Old 03-02-2015, 02:36 PM   #10
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
This may fall into "an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure." If you already have everything you need for the "prevention," to me it would be worth the effort. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 02:47 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Yup. Part of me wants to go out there and kick their butt, and the other part of me is forever grateful that I'm not doing that anymore. If you ever get the chance to say hello to a cop, make sure you tell them you appreciate what they do.
Believe me Bryan, I really appreciate Police Officers. I can't imagine our society without them. Fortunately for me, I have two living next door to me, a husband and wife.
Old 03-02-2015, 03:25 PM   #12

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
We need a lock the for the waste gate handles. I've heard of kids wandering the CG's pulling the black tank handle then closing it. Later when you remove the cover...
Old 03-02-2015, 04:11 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Probably from reading paranoia on RV forums. There are at least a dozen RVs "camping" on the streets near the mall about 2 k from here.
At least this doesn't cost me anything ( have padlocks ) and I'll only do it for storage.
ahhh.... that makes sense 'during storage.' the rest of the time we just cross our fingers. but I guess the only thing 'extra' you'd have to take on the road would be the lock and key .... (notice how I've restrained myself from making any comments about taking along your 'ball and chain'
Old 03-02-2015, 04:40 PM   #14

Trailer: 2001 coachmen
Cranksters will take anything they think they can sell!

Someone actually stole our poop hose....and back in the day when gas was 5 bucks a gallon they would pop a hole and haul it away in 5 gallon buckets!

Long gone is the time when you could leave your stuff out at a campsite...return and find it untouched.
reetired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 05:17 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
When I lived in the city I would routinely dispose of unwanted items in the rear alley, hoping the trash people will eventually haul it away. After some items sat for a couple of weeks, I went out and put a "4 Sale" sign and posted to "inquire within". The items were gone the next morning.......with the sign.
Old 03-02-2015, 06:41 PM   #16

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by reetired View Post
Cranksters will take anything they think they can sell!

Someone actually stole our poop hose....and back in the day wn gas was 5 bucks a gallon they would pop a hole and haul it away in 5 gallon buckets!

Long gone is the time when you could leave your stuff out at a campsite...return and find it untouched.
That has not been my experience. 15 months ago I finished riding across the country on a bicycle, mostly sleeping in a tent. Often had to leave my iPad etc in the tent, without any lock what so ever. For the bike, I used what I call an 'honest person' lock -- a thin steel cable with a small brass padlock. Won't deter a thief for long, but will deter the casual thief. Lost nothing to thieves. I did forget a solar panel at a motel. My neighbors picked it up a few weeks later.

It could be that folks assume you are poor if you are traveling by bicycle. Long ago a man in Harper's Ferry pressed a quarter into my hand with the words 'this is for you and the wife'. And then got into a car worth about half of the bicycle I was riding at the time.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:02 PM   #17

Trailer: None
http://youtu.be/ZCNGaafnAGk
Lindor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 07:46 PM   #18

I think we will risk leaving the propane tanks unsecured.

However, we've been thinking about hitch and wheel locks for use when leaving the trailer in campgrounds when we go off exploring for a few hours or the day.

How many forum members are using these locks? Are the wheel locks a pain or too heavy to drag along while travelling? I get that nothing will stop a determined thief but I hate the idea of coming back to the campground only to see an empty campsite.

? Does anyone know an Escape thread to point me to. Any brands - specially for the wheel lock thingy.

Thanks Larry.

PS. Here it is March and boy and am I getting excited about the upcoming camping season. Here in the lower mainland we are having great weather. I'm getting ready for March 15 when the Provincial campground reservation system opens.
Old 03-02-2015, 08:06 PM   #19

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I think we will risk leaving the propane tanks unsecured.
This is all I have ever done, and never had an issue. Heck, right now, my trailer is parked in a spot at the rear of a property, open to the alley, and nothing stolen. haven't even bothered with any hitch locks either, though probably should. I guess I am too trusted.

And no, I am not telling anyone the address, and those here that have been there will be on the short list to the police should it go missing.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2015, 08:13 PM   #20

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Get yourself a nice set of locks keyed alike. One for your stinger and one for your trailer and use them both while towing and while unhooked. I always lock my tongue while hooked up, sort of like the awning velcro, belt and suspenders type of activity. Amazon.com: Master Lock 2848DAT Key Alike Set with Receiver and Coupler Latch Locks, 2-Piece Set: Automotive