Propane tank tray mounting help - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 11-03-2017, 08:16 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19'
Propane tank tray mounting help

I was getting ready to place our newly filled propane tanks back on the tray and noticed that the tray was loose. Three of the sheet metal screws were loose and I snapped the fourth one off trying to tighten. Upon further investigation the screw holes in the frame were rusted out and stripped - possibly one screw and a wiring zip tie was holding everything on.

I don't work on steel much so this is new to me - thoughts on the following repair options or others would be appreciated:

1. Re-drill and tap the existing holes for slightly larger diameter sheet metal screws/lag bolts. I've never done this. And things might still rust out.
2. Drill all the way through the frame and bolt through using stainless nuts/bolts. I think this might be the easiest, longest lasting, and most secure option. But I'm not sure if this will weaken the 3" frame?

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0016.jpg  
DMPortland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2017, 08:22 PM   #2
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMPortland View Post
I was getting ready to place our newly filled propane tanks back on the tray and noticed that the tray was loose. Three of the sheet metal screws were loose and I snapped the fourth one off trying to tighten. Upon further investigation the screw holes in the frame were rusted out and stripped - possibly one screw and a wiring zip tie was holding everything on.

I don't work on steel much so this is new to me - thoughts on the following repair options or others would be appreciated:

1. Re-drill and tap the existing holes for slightly larger diameter sheet metal screws/lag bolts. I've never done this. And things might still rust out.
2. Drill all the way through the frame and bolt through using stainless nuts/bolts. I think this might be the easiest, longest lasting, and most secure option. But I'm not sure if this will weaken the 3" frame?

Thanks!
I would probably not drill another hole in the bottom of the frame unless absolutely necessary. Perhaps you can wire brush off all the rust, spot weld over the existing mounting holes, paint over with black rust inhibitor, then use some galvanized or stainless U-bolts to attach the tank tray to the frame? And, the tank tray already has slots you could use for this purpose. That way, there are no holes to corrode.
Old 11-04-2017, 03:38 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Install some plastic automotive door trim around the tank bottom, that may help with the rust rings.
Old 11-04-2017, 09:26 AM   #4

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
I would probably not drill another hole in the bottom of the frame unless absolutely necessary. Perhaps you can wire brush off all the rust, spot weld over the existing mounting holes, paint over with black rust inhibitor, then use some galvanized or stainless U-bolts to attach the tank tray to the frame? And the tank tray already has slots you could use for this purpose. That way, there are no holes to corrode.
I agree with rbryan , drilling a hole through the frame or drilling more holes is probably not the route to take . Clean up the rust , seal the holes and paint . I would weld the propane tank to the frame., it would only take a couple of short beads.
If the original screws stripped out and rusted , bigger screws will just do the same thing down the road.
The other option is to weld a couple of backer plates to the frame so there is enough metal to drill and tap some holes for mounting the propane tray.
Sheet metal screws into thin metal never works well and your problem with the screw heads snapping off is quite common due to the fact that most fasteners are cheap Chinese junk.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2017, 11:06 AM   #5
Site Team

That's true Steve, he could just weld the tray to the frame. But, I like your idea of welding brackets to the frame better. That way, the tray can easily be replaced if needed.
Old 11-07-2017, 01:52 PM   #6
LJY

Trailer: 2017 Escape
I just noticed this on a screw yesterday under a tank. How long is the screw supposed to be?
It almost seems to me like a hole was not drilled into the frame.. as it's all black on the frame.
LJY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2017, 11:13 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
That's true Steve, he could just weld the tray to the frame. But, I like your idea of welding brackets to the frame better. That way, the tray can easily be replaced if needed.
Thanks for all the good ideas - as soon as I can get my welder son's attention I'll install some angle iron and attach a new tank tray with some stainless steel bolts and nuts.
Old 11-07-2017, 11:17 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by LJY View Post
I just noticed this on a screw yesterday under a tank. How long is the screw supposed to be?
It almost seems to me like a hole was not drilled into the frame.. as it's all black on the frame.
On our 19 the four sheet metal screws/lag bolts anchoring the propane tray to the trailer frame are about 1-1/2" long. Not quite sure I understand your question though.
Old 11-08-2017, 12:01 AM   #9

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
I'm not sure what you mean, either, but if you're saying that you see the screw head on the tray but not where the screw comes through the frame... that's expected. It appears that there is just one hole for each screw into the top of the frame, and the self-tapping screw grips in that hole like a wood screw.

As long as the screw goes through the thickness of steel of the frame tubing (probably 1/8" to 3/16"), it's long enough. It isn't a more-than-four-inch bolt which goes right through with a nut on the other side.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 12:14 AM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
A couple pictures.
I'd just go with a larger diameter sheet metal screw.
Attached Thumbnails
Propane tray.jpg   Propane screw.jpg  
Old 11-08-2017, 06:57 AM   #11
LJY

sorry for the confusion. I've uploaded the photo.. not sure if this is just a set screw or bolt screw. but the screw and hole both rusted out already on a '17
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_3252.jpg  
Old 11-08-2017, 08:58 AM   #12
Site Team

I still like the idea of either welding brackets for the tray or using U-bolts. Using a bigger screw in the holes won't stop further rusting of the frame. Rust removal, spot weld and paint will.
Old 11-08-2017, 10:54 AM   #13

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
sorry for the confusion. I've uploaded the photo.. not sure if this is just a set screw or bolt screw. but the screw and hole both rusted out already on a '17
Or maybe they stripped the threads on the first attempt to install the screw, upper hole, and installed the screw in another position.

I've dealt with a lot of types of rust but none so bad that it could rust out an entire screw that quickly.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2017, 04:41 PM   #14

Quote:
Not a set screw, just a self-tapping screw (with a hex head so you can use a wrench to drive it in).

The only thing guaranteed about this fastening design is that it will rust. Ron's guess makes sense to me.
Old 11-08-2017, 05:35 PM   #15
LJY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Or maybe they stripped the threads on the first attempt to install the screw, upper hole, and installed the screw in another position.

I've dealt with a lot of types of rust but none so bad that it could rust out an entire screw that quickly.

Ron
There should be 2 screws like glen's photo.. then either the screw broke and inside of broken screw is black? or the installer just didn't bother to correct a broken screw
Old 11-08-2017, 05:36 PM   #16
LJY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
Not a set screw, just a self-tapping screw (with a hex head so you can use a wrench to drive it in).

The only thing guaranteed about this fastening design is that it will rust. Ron's guess makes sense to me.
thanks, Brian. I just thought it could be a set screw due to how short it was like 1/8 of an inch
Old 11-08-2017, 09:24 PM   #17

Quote:
I just thought it could be a set screw due to how short it was like 1/8 of an inch
They can be very short, since they only need to go through the propane tray and the wall of the frame (although even that is more than 1/8"). A set screw wouldn't have the head needed to clamp down the tray.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:15 PM   #18
LJY

can someone with a '17 tell me if they have 1 or 2 bolts on the tray on each side? I took off the other tank and only saw 1 bolt installed... the other side had 1 installed and 1 not installed into the frame correctly.
Old 11-17-2017, 02:36 PM   #19

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
See photo
Attached Thumbnails
Propane tray.jpg  
Old 11-17-2017, 04:18 PM   #20
LJY

Thanks Glen.
what should I use to prevent rust before installing a new bolt/screw?