Question about interior paneling/options - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 07-28-2009, 11:52 AM   #1

Question about interior paneling/options

Hi,
We're still in the planning stages, but really want an Escape 19. We are wondering if it is possible to get something besides the oak paneling inside (even just plain white would be ok), and also maybe a different wood for the cabinet doors? I haven't seen any mentions of this yet, but thought it would be worth checking to see if anyone else has requested this sort of mod OR done anything like it after delivery?
Thanks!
Sarah
waiting_for_escape is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 12:30 PM   #2

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Re: Question about interior paneling/options

Hi Sarah, and welcome. We are loving our new 19.

I have not heard at all of anyone using other finish for cabinetry. I guess if you contacted Tammy or Reace they could tell you if they would be willing to do it. Even if they would, I imagine it would cost a fair bit more, due to having to get materials specific to your needs, and the doors would need to be painted rather then just lacquered as they would be set up to do now. There is likely quite a significant cost savings to them by using the same materials all the time, as opposed to purchasing and storing other stuff.

To paint after you get the trailer would take some effort, but could be done. I thing the biggest problem you would run into is the various plastic trims used to match the oak, would not likely take to painting very well.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 10:16 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 17B "Suite Escape" pulled by a 2020 Toyota Sienna

Welcome Sarah. I'm sure you'll be happy that you chose and Escape.
As Jim says, you need to call and talk to Tammy and Reace. I thought about putting urethane on areas that might get dirty such as by the stove, but have not tried that yet. A possibility would be to get a sample of the cabinet material and then experimenting.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:33 PM   #4

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

Am I correct that the cabinets are made of oak plywood and the cabinets doors are solid oak?

Eric

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2010, 11:24 AM   #5

I'm not sure what the cabinetry is made of, but it has a "wood look" paper-type surface that is wipeable. I believe the cabinet doors are solid wood, oak, I think. Solid wood weighs too much, and I believe, is not needed.
Happy New Year!
Old 01-09-2010, 11:33 AM   #6

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandra L
I'm not sure what the cabinetry is made of, but it has a "wood look" paper-type surface that is wipeable. I believe the cabinet doors are solid wood, oak, I think. Solid wood weighs too much, and I believe, is not needed.
Happy New Year!
Thanks Sandra - I was hoping the cabinetry was real oak plywood not the plastic coated stuff. I couldn't tell from the pictures. I ask Tammy and Reace to see how much extra it would be.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
Old 01-09-2010, 12:09 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Eric T..."Our Escape Hatch" came equipped with a couple of scuffs. One under the dinette table and one caused by the bi-fold screen door. The paneling, I was able to re colour with a furniture repair crayon. The kind of paneling that Escape uses stands up quite well. Any type of real wood veneer paneling may not be as tough!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 10:07 AM   #8

Hi Eric,
I suggest you talk to Reace. There is plywood and strong wood (I don't know what kind) that is used for structural components, such as the framing and benches, beds etc. The material used for the facing, I believe, is some sort of wood product that has the "wood-look" surface applied. The only downside to that is that ordinary adhesive material shouldn't be utilized to attach anything. (See Glenn's earlier posts). However, I understand that the special 3M Command hooks work well and do not disturb the surface. I'm not sure what your major concern is: structure, function or aesthetics. I personally have not put any holes anywhere but was contemplating putting a peg rack on the fridge side for jackets, because there is framing wood underneath, but I've been using the suction hooks instead on the fiberglass area to the upper right of the door. Also, if you contact them early enough, they might be able to place wood reinforcement under the fiberglass to hang something. IE: I had a clear glass window for my door, and the area above was reinforced to hang a blind or curtain rod. I had that done so I could see (or peek) out and no one could see in, because I am too short to be able to look out and see who is at my door from the interior windows. If I could have figured out how to place a peek hole in the frosted glass, I might have done that instead.
Old 01-10-2010, 10:57 AM   #9

Thanks Alf and Sandra,

For me it is a matter of a background doing some woodworking (being a retired "shop" teacher and building my own home) and liking the look and feel of real wood veneer plywood much better than the plastic coated plywood. It is just a preference thing -- my wife says I am nuts --- as usual!!

Eric

Old 01-10-2010, 11:08 AM   #10

Aren't we all a bit? Will weight be an issue for you and/or construction or towing purposes?
Old 01-10-2010, 12:25 PM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4

Hi: Eric T...When I look at things there are some parts I can accept and some I just CAN'T. Little things niggle at me and I thought I was alone... glad I'm not. The only one that gets me in the trailer is the dinette bench beside the sink. There's no cap on the cut edge of the outside corner molding and the seat cushion doesn't cover it. Every time I sit down I'm looking right at it. I even went to the building supply store to ask if they had them as they sell the molding...but NO end caps!!! It has to be tri-angular to cover so I search on while my wife thinks I'm nuts too! : Alf
Attached Thumbnails
phpg5IehLPM.jpg  
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 12:48 PM   #12

Sandra there shouldn't be any real weight difference as both types of plywood could be almost identical thicknesses.

Eric

Old 01-10-2010, 01:02 PM   #13

Trailer: 2006 Escape 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by escape artist
my wife thinks I'm nuts too! : Alf
Well, I sure wouldn't be one to doubt her!
Hokie Escape is offline   Reply With Quote