Question about storing a trailer - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 05-29-2019, 09:38 PM   #1

Trailer: 2016 Escape 19
Question about storing a trailer

I am downsizing and may not be able to keep my trailer at home any longer. I've found a couple of storage lots nearby. My question is what do you leave in the trailer when in storage? Anything you would never leave in it? I keep pretty much everything in it now so a spur of the moment trip is easy to do.

Thanks!

Mary
Mary LG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 01:38 AM   #2

Trailer: None, sold my 2014 5.0TA
Not that I use a storage place, but I'd remove the battery/s if you have tongue mounted, as well as the gas bottles, I'd also consider the spare. From the inside I;d remove stuff that kids would want to steal, like anything valuable.
Old 05-30-2019, 08:14 AM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
Quote:
Originally Posted by padlin View Post
Not that I use a storage place, but I'd remove the battery/s if you have tongue mounted, as well as the gas bottles, I'd also consider the spare. From the inside I;d remove stuff that kids would want to steal, like anything valuable.
I would leave my trailer all stocked up and ready to go so that I just have to load up some food, some clothes, fill the water tanks, and be off. Me and my insurance policy will take our chances relative to any missing wheels, propane tanks or batteries!

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:35 AM   #4

Trailer: 2010 17B “MATT”, then 2017 19 “Lilly”
Question about storing a trailer

I’m with Dave. I’d leave it loaded to go, but take some extra security precautions. Hopefully you have the front tongue box. Lock that and you’re batteries are fairly safe. Thread your safety chains through your propane bottles and lock them together with a padlock. Get a set of five locking lug nuts and put one on each wheel, including the spare. And lastly, because everyone with an RV has the same CH751 key to their baggage compartments, change that lock out so only you have a key. And if you really want to go the extra mile, get an alarm, eg the offerings from Simplisafe, and install that so that if anyone does breach door or baggage compartment, they set off the 130db siren.
Old 05-30-2019, 05:01 PM   #5

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
We leave ours completely stocked including dry foods and clothing. Add refrigerator contents and go. It is setup this way, because we consider it our Emergency evacuation shelter if ever needed.
We've had a few minor battery and tank issues in storage lots, but since I put the battery and tank locks on, have had no further issues.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 05:22 PM   #6

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We too leave ours completely stocked short of food and clothes, and possibly a few other things for a specific trip.

If there is really a problem with items being stolen in a particular lot, you could look at securing those items. I like keeping my batteries charged with the solar though they are inside in my trailer, and the propane ready to be turned on ahead to cool the fridge, though these bottles are open to whomever.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote