Question for those who "carry" going north - Page 4 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 04-15-2016, 10:11 PM   #61

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
NRA has tons of money. Perhaps they already have a list.
Old 04-16-2016, 06:00 AM   #62
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
............ someone or several members research this issue and maybe compile a list of places near border crossings where items not allowed in Canada can be safely stored. If such a list were posted, then perhaps we could avoid any further disagreement as to what discussion may or may not be appropriate here.....
Most excellent suggestion. BUT as with everything, it would be important for travelers to double-check the facts before heading out. Nothing worse than getting to Sumas expecting to store something at the IGA and then finding out, they no longer do that. Stuff moves at lightning speed. Never assume.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 06:23 AM   #63

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I think that everything on my buddy Al Gore's internet is subject to review. I know there's lots of variation on allowed foods going both ways too. This is an excellent idea. I find contact phone numbers and especially a name referenced on posts, not just on trailer sites, to be very helpful. They used to advertise rental of a dance hall in Omaha when I lived down there. They would always say " Don't call the hall, call the man", and then give his name and number. Seemed to work well.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2016, 08:03 AM   #64

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
Most excellent suggestion. BUT as with everything, it would be important for travelers to double-check the facts before heading out. Nothing worse than getting to Sumas expecting to store something at the IGA and then finding out, they no longer do that. Stuff moves at lightning speed. Never assume.
Good point and good advice Donna. If anyone were to double check and find that something has changed, they could post whatever they learn.

Perhaps a "storage" document could be editable/updatable by someone, and included in the library of documents.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:22 PM   #65

Trailer: 5.0 TA 2017 Taj MaSmall
Bromley's IGA

Recvd this after my inquiry:
"Just bring your firearm in a carry case or we can provide you with something to bring it in the store. Ask at the front to have your firearm stored. Have a drivers license for the paperwork. It takes about 10 to 15 minutes. thanks.
Bob"
Bobnjudy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:03 PM   #66

Trailer: 2013 19' Escape 1977 Trillium 1300
+10 assumption I have gotten from border officials is that all US residents are carrying weapons and it is their challenge to find where you are hiding them. When you cross into Canada it's their country and their rules. Leave the weapons at home. It's not limited to guns either. I had one agent quiz me on the entire list: switchblade, butterfly knife, brass knuckles, etc
NCBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:10 PM   #67

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBill View Post
+10 assumption I have gotten from border officials is that all US residents are carrying weapons and it is their challenge to find where you are hiding them. When you cross into Canada it's their country and their rules. Leave the weapons at home. It's not limited to guns either. I had one agent quiz me on the entire list: switchblade, butterfly knife, brass knuckles, etc
You over looked , nunchucks , throwing stars , fireworks , explosives and bazookas . Yes , we were asked if we were carrying any bazookas.
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:14 PM   #68

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
You over looked , nunchucks , throwing stars , fireworks , explosives and bazookas . Yes , we were asked if we were carrying any bazookas.
Also Mace . Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 08:33 PM   #69

Trailer: 2015 Esc 21. Formerly, Casita LD (16 & 17)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCBill View Post
+10 assumption I have gotten from border officials is that all US residents are carrying weapons and it is their challenge to find where you are hiding them.
That's what I've always heard, too, especially for those of us from Texas - but our experience in September 2015 wasn't like that at all. The agent was very nice and believed us when we said we don't have guns. She'd even spent a fair amount of time in Oklahoma (wch is, of course, just north of Texas) and said we must be in a very small minority. We all laughed and agreed and she waved us on through.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:16 PM   #70

Trailer: 2016 ESCAPE 21
The storage at IGA Brumleys is very quick, easy, and cheap as has been previously posted, They offer a great service a very low cost.
When we crossed the border guard asked about weapons and I told him we had stored ours at the IGA Brumleys a few blocks from the border. The guard asked to see the paperwork and we showed it him. He was very friendly, wished us a good time in Canada. We crossed several times that week and other than basic questions, there was nothing to it.
thumper-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:49 AM   #71

Trailer: 2018 Airstream Flying Cloud (Escape 19 & 5.0 previously)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Also Mace . Pat
What about Bear Repelant? I know it's the same kind of thing (and maybe even stronger) but it's a legitimate precaution in the back woods (or some suburbs ).
Zardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 09:50 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
What about Bear Repelant? I know it's the same kind of thing (and maybe even stronger) but it's a legitimate precaution in the back woods (or some suburbs ).
I know about Mace but that is a good question about Bear Repelant . Pat
Old 05-16-2017, 12:12 PM   #73

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
When I crossed to pick up Pearl two years ago he asked me if I had a weapon or any means of self-protection. I had the big belt canister marked Bear Repellent and there was no problem.
Old 05-16-2017, 12:24 PM   #74

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19', 1974 Boler
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zardoz View Post
To my knowledge bear spray is allowed but the container has to be clearly marked as bear spray or similar, if it is marked as mace it is illegal.
Ian G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 12:24 PM   #75

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmath View Post
When I crossed to pick up Pearl two years ago he asked me if I had a weapon or any means of self-protection. I had the big belt canister marked Bear Repellent and there was no problem.
That is good to know . The Mace once , which I have a license for , had to turn it over to them at the border before I crossed . But on my return had it returned which I wasn't supposed to get back . They gave it back to me though because I was told it would be returned . They were pretty nice about it . Guess it helps to be honest . Pat
Old 05-16-2017, 12:25 PM   #76

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Check the expiry date on your can of bear spray. They have been known to leak when out of date.
Old 05-16-2017, 01:13 PM   #77

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
Check the expiry date on your can of bear spray. They have been known to leak when out of date.
Hi: gbaglo... I'm glad we don't carry any of that with us. My wife says before my first coffee in the morning I can be such a "Bear". Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:07 PM   #78

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
That is good to know . The Mace once , which I have a license for , had to turn it over to them at the border before I crossed . But on my return had it returned which I wasn't supposed to get back . They gave it back to me though because I was told it would be returned . They were pretty nice about it . Guess it helps to be honest . Pat
I didn't know that there was a license for Mace. Good that they gave it back to you.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:11 PM   #79

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I think this topic has run its course.
look how wrong you can be!!
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:48 PM   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by float5 View Post
I didn't know that there was a license for Mace. Good that they gave it back to you.
Cathy had to take a class with police dept to get license . The Canadian border guards were all very nice to us . A lot of people now just buy pepper spray . The pepper spray is effective on animals also . The Mace is not . Pat