Question for those who "carry" going north - Page 3 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-14-2016, 05:21 PM   #41

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
Carl,
I believe that is good advice, especially, just avoid unsafe places. There is a small part of most Americans who rightly believe the ought to be able to go anywhere, any time. I'm pretty sure that ended over a hundred years ago. My advice, get over it. For me, it's stock the cooler with good grocery store beer in the mid afternoon, get her on ice, and enjoy the sunset and stars from your deck or campground.
Dave
Iowa Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 05:37 PM   #42

Trailer: 2016 Escape 5.0TA has gone to a good home in Manitoba. Now Class B+ owners sadly not an Escape
Old 04-14-2016, 07:30 PM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
Good question, according to the US map Concealed Carry Permit Reciprocity Maps - USA Carry
Washington, Oregon,Nevada, California do not honor the Texas permit.

LEOSA Does.
Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act: Leosa
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 07:39 PM   #44

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The original question - for those who "carry" going north - was specifically about storing a firearm in the U.S. before crossing into Canada. Today's revival started on exactly that same subject.

Rules for carrying concealed firearms within the United States seem irrelevant to me... but also seem almost guaranteed to pointlessly re-start a controversial topic.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 08:04 PM   #45
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Totally agree Brian. The topic at hand is where to store it, NOT whether you should carry it in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-14-2016, 09:27 PM   #46

Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA (Little Elsie) Extensively Personalized
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
Totally agree Brian. The topic at hand is where to store it, NOT whether you should carry it in the first place.

I might interject that this forum is for the free exchange of information AND ideas. This is hardly the first time opinions have been expressed that did not stay on topic (or in other words, address only the question(s) posed by an OP. I would guess that 90% or more threads here "stray." However, if failing to stay exactly on topic is annoying some members, perhaps this thread should be closed by a/the moderator(s).
Old 04-14-2016, 09:33 PM   #47

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
I might interject that this forum is for the free exchange of information AND ideas. This is hardly the first time opinions have been expressed that did not stay on topic (or in other words, address only the question(s) posed by an OP. I would guess that 90% or more threads here "stray." However, if failing to stay exactly on topic is annoying some members, perhaps this thread should be closed by a/the moderator(s).
I don't know where you get this from, as I don't..... oh look, a squirrel.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 09:51 PM   #48

Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
Rabbits, Jim, rabbits. We don't do squirrel trails here.
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 10:47 PM   #49

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
Quote:
Originally Posted by C&G in FL View Post
This is hardly the first time opinions have been expressed that did not stay on topic (or in other words, address only the question(s) posed by an OP. I would guess that 90% or more threads here "stray." However, if failing to stay exactly on topic is annoying some members, perhaps this thread should be closed by a/the moderator(s).
This is not a typical topic. The concern is not simply staying on topic, and was addressed by moderators starting from post #6 (this is post #49).

From the forum rules:
Quote:
Fair Warning: Discussions about politics, religion and weaponry will be closed or removed.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 12:15 AM   #50
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Question for those who "carry" going north

It's not that a discussion wouldn't be worthwhile, nor is it that one is not entitled to their opinion. It's that the topic is not appropriate for an RV forum, that's all. Of course threads drift off topic, and I'm as guilty as the next guy in pushing them off the tracks. But, the whole discussion of weapons in an international forum dedicated to Escape trailers has too many potential land mines. It's inherently political, and it polarizes people like few other topics do. Maybe it's better to stay on course.

Old 04-15-2016, 05:55 AM   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian B-P View Post
This is not a typical topic. The concern is not simply staying on topic, and was addressed by moderators starting from post #6 (this is post #49).

From the forum rules:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post
It's not that a discussion wouldn't be worthwhile, nor is it that one is not entitled to their opinion. It's that the topic is not appropriate for an RV forum, that's all. Of course threads drift off topic, and I'm as guilty as the next guy in pushing them off the tracks. But, the whole discussion of weapons in an international forum dedicated to Escape trailers has too many potential land mines. It's inherently political, and it polarizes people like few other topics do. Maybe it's better to stay on course.

Brian and Robert,
I wholeheartedly agree with both of you. Many threads are "hijacked" so to speak. As an example, how many times does poutine (I'm guilty right now) get interjected into threads that are totally unrelated to food. And the topic of firearms is absolutely both political and polarizing. That is why I suggested maybe THIS thread should be closed. I was merely commenting that we all have a tendency to get "off course," sometimes without realizing it. Perhaps I didn't choose my words well, thereby obfuscating my intended meaning. I just want to clarify that I am not suggesting that ANY thread that goes astray be closed; only suggesting that this one might be a prime candidate. And I included the statement about "annoying some members," because I believe that the topic does not elicit as strong a polarizing reaction from every participant. It does, however, (in my interprtation) border on the violation of forum rules.
Old 04-15-2016, 06:13 AM   #52

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0TA / 2016 Ram Eco Diesel 4X4
Hi: All... "Son of a gun". Not again Eh!!! Alf
escape artist N.S. of Lake Erie
escape artist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:55 AM   #53

Trailer: 2016 17B
I enjoy this thread, I find it informative and relevant to my own interests. I've read every comment but still remain a bit dismayed over the desire by some to shut down this conversation.
Steve R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 10:15 AM   #54

Trailer: 2015 Escape 19 "Seventy Degrees"
I agree Steve. The reason this topic keeps popping up on all the forums whether we want it to or not, is that it is a very relevant topic in today's society. All of us being traveling, and camping people it is most likely highly relevant to the trailer life. This particular topic is extremely relevant to ETI, because most folks from the US have to enter CA to pick up their new trailers.
I have always stayed away from ever giving my personal leanings on these topics, but I think these discussions are necessary and going to be harder and harder to avoid. I would not want to see this closed because this type of information needs to be out there.
Now, if it were to stray into political arena, then close it up, no place for that here.
Greg A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 11:26 AM   #55

I would repeat, I have a carry permit. I personally do not care whether or not this thread stays open. I merely stated that if the thread is annoying (or divisive or objectionable to some) then maybe it should be closed. And keep in mind that there is a fifference between closed and removed. So please do not blindly categorize me as wanting or trying to shut it down or eliminate it.
Old 04-15-2016, 03:51 PM   #56

Trailer: 2015 5.0 TA
Not applicable to this particular discussion, but I find that if I skip threads I find offensive or don't agree with my life proceeds smoothly.

Dick
Old 04-15-2016, 07:52 PM   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by captmath View Post
Not applicable to this particular discussion, but I find that if I skip threads I find offensive or don't agree with my life proceeds smoothly.

Dick
You SIR Win ! :}

I believe the OP asked a simple storage question not a question of do you, would you, why do , for what reason etc in no way is his question political nor does it rise to the level of a breach of forum rules. Many of the posts here have nothing to add nor actually address the OP's question.

Why shouldn't this question be asked here? For those of us who own these trailers and might wish to go to factory for purchase pick up, repair or to go to the big meet held out that way it is a question some here may have already dealt with and would have actual input on. Not every one goes to Canada or lives close enough to know of the little in's and out's of going across the border and no not just the one's posted on the Canadian website.

Unfortunately Dick it is the nature of people today it seems most support the right to free speech IE asking a simple question but only if it doesn't make people uncomfortable. Then it becomes a problem that must be stopped.....

Have a good one with luck your common sense approach will infect others here and all over the net :}

Cypher
Cypherian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:32 PM   #58

Trailer: 2016 ESCAPE 21
As my original post stated, this thread was not to be a discussion on carry weapons but rather a search for storage options close to the border. As is usually the case on this forum, good recommendations and solutions were posted. For that I am grateful.

It seems that the thread came back to life when another individual sought similar storage information for a different border crossing location. I hope others will allow them to use this forum for information seeking purposes without trying to have the thread "shut down".
thumper-tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2016, 09:59 PM   #59

Might I suggest, without someone jumping all over me, that if possible, someone or several members research this issue and maybe compile a list of places near border crossings where items not allowed in Canada can be safely stored. If such a list were posted, then perhaps we could avoid any further disagreement as to what discussion may or may not be appropriate here. We know that the IGA in Sumas will store prohibited items. If someone who typically transports these items and wants to go into Canada at a specific location, perhaps he (or she) could make a few calls. It would be nice to have a known location in Oroville for the Osoyoos Rally, one near Buffalo for the Niagara Wine Escape, one in Maine for people wanting to go to the Maritime Provinces, etc. Just a suggestion......
Old 04-15-2016, 10:05 PM   #60

Trailer: 2017 21 "Blue II" & 2017 Highlander XLE (previously 2010 17B "Blue" & 2008 Tacoma)
Well put Carl.

"Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance." George Bernard Shaw
thoer is offline   Reply With Quote