Questions for pickup day?? - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-05-2020, 12:01 PM   #1

Trailer: 2019 Escape-21C toad by 2017 Titan XD Crew Cab V8 4x4
Questions for pickup day??

Planning begins for our E-21 'pickup day' wh is not until Late April..Ahhhhh.
Several ??s have come up and a 'search' was not helpful, so here are the ??s:

1. What size socket do I need for my ratchet wrench [or power drill] to adjust the Stabil Jacks?? Long or std socket? mm or inch? etc I assume 3/4" is about right, but nowhere did that get mentioned, even in the videos I saw. This for a new 2019 E21

2. What does it mean when they mention ..'check the torque on all wheel lug nuts frequently'.... on new trailers? Do I really need a fancy torque wrench? What size sockets fit those wheel nuts?
3. we opted for the middle option..the "WD hitch w sway bar" as recommended by some and by ETI.. What do I need besides the brake controller, Class III receiver and 7-pin 'female ' recepticle which I already have on my truck?
4. do I need to bring a class 3 ball mount and a new ball with me, or does the hitch I ordered have that already? IF I need to bring a new ball, what size: 2" or 2.25" OR 2.5" ?

Thanks in advance. Fred
Hollybee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 01:04 PM   #2
Bea

Trailer: 2019 Escape 21
for your 2nd question - torque wrench

Hi Fred,

Congratulations on your new E21! We love ours.

We were also told to check the torque on our tires at 60, 120 and 180 miles. We were very glad we did - they loosened much more than we initially expected.

My approach was to buy a simple, cheap torque wrench from Harbor Freight Tools (something like: https://www.harborfreight.com/12-in-...nch-63882.html). Harbor Freight frequently comes out with coupons, so I think I got my torque wrench for around $15. I leave it in the trailer.

As for sockets, I found a 13/16" deep socket worked well for the tires.

For our trailer, we got the upgraded tire rims, so we opted to get spend $25 at Amazon to get some wheel locks (https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1).

One more bit of information you might find useful. We had purchased a couple padlocks for the front storage bin. However, we found that the hole for the lock's shackle was smaller than expected. if your shackle is .25" or smaller, you will be OK. However, many padlocks are .30" or more, and these will not fit.

Happy Trails!

- The Bea Team
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2020, 01:26 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic Number 6, pulled by 2018 Toyota Highlander
I was talking to a fellow at the rally a few years ago who was “adamant” about traveling with his favorite 9mm handgun. He told me that he stopped in a gun store in the USA before crossing the border into Canada and left his gun with the owner for a thorough cleaning and they arranged the day and time when he would pick it up on his return to the USA. Said it cost him like $25 and he felt it was well worth it. There used to be aN IGA store in the US town before you went into Canada at Osoyoos that had storage lockers but they closed a few years ago. Might be an option in one of the US cities south of Chilliwack but it makes your re-entry tied to the same way you went in. Just a couple ideas. DO NOT mess with those border guards, like a badger, they will bite if angered.
Iowa Dave
Old 01-05-2020, 02:40 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollybee View Post
Planning begins for our E-21 'pickup day' wh is not until Late April..Ahhhhh.
Several ??s have come up and a 'search' was not helpful, so here are the ??s:

1. What size socket do I need for my ratchet wrench [or power drill] to adjust the Stabil Jacks?? Long or std socket? mm or inch? etc I assume 3/4" is about right, but nowhere did that get mentioned, even in the videos I saw. This for a new 2019 E21

2. What does it mean when they mention ..'check the torque on all wheel lug nuts frequently'.... on new trailers? Do I really need a fancy torque wrench? What size sockets fit those wheel nuts?
3. we opted for the middle option..the "WD hitch w sway bar" as recommended by some and by ETI.. What do I need besides the brake controller, Class III receiver and 7-pin 'female ' recepticle which I already have on my truck?
4. do I need to bring a class 3 ball mount and a new ball with me, or does the hitch I ordered have that already? IF I need to bring a new ball, what size: 2" or 2.25" OR 2.5" ?
5. we, [like about half the campers I know] travel the lower 48 states & camping with a personal, LEGAL firearm. I realize A. most firearms cannot be taken to Canada and B. that we still have to go to Canada for the orientation b4 coming back to USA to finally pick up the trailer. So not wishing to run afoul of Canadian or US laws, what do you guys recommend we do with legal gun(s) for the day in Canada?
NO, we do not wish to travel from TN thru the Rockies & all the way to WA and then back, while camping in many remote places w/o protection..so are there any options for safe storage of a firearm in Sumas [or nearby towns] while in Canada?

Thanks in advance. Fred
I Stayed at the B&B Inn In Sumas. Not the finest Inn around but clean and friendly. Hard to contact as they rarely answer the phone personally. At least, that was my experience. I noticed there were several box pickup places in town that could be rented. Could be a solution if you did not want to spend the nite.

They (B&B) had no objection in my leaving my stuff (weapon) there while I went to ETI for pickup. Hooked up at Bob's Burgers and back to the Inn to load up. No Problem!

The Can border guy was very inquisitive. I must have triggered his profile type.

Numerous questions.

(Gun? Nope), (Taser? Nope), (Gas? nope diesel, he was not amused), (batons? nope). (Where did you stay? B&B Inn), (Leave anything there? Yes). (What? My stuff), (Gun? Yes), (what kind? Glock 21), (If I called there would they verify? No Idea).

I resisted the impulse to explain the difference between a 'gun' and a (weapon).

I then assured him I was totally defenseless, except for a lucky rock. Again, no sense of humor. I think he finally realized I was not impressed by him practicing his 'command' attitude and sent me on my way.

Once a young officer has survived a Regimental Command Sergeant Majors attention, Everything else shrinks to insignificance. Rather have a root canal!

The vast majority of Law Enforcement people are good people but there are always those who get some power and don't hesitate to use it.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:10 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
As far as firearms, leave at home as there is a lack of reciprocity in some states that you will be traveling through. You maybe be questioned about it anyway at the border and possibly searched, as you will be in the NCIC register if you have a state permit. But before discussing any further, firearms are not to be discussed here on the forum....period.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:30 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpaharley2008 View Post
As far as firearms, leave at home as there is a lack of reciprocity in some states that you will be traveling through. You maybe be questioned about it anyway at the border and possibly searched, as you will be in the NCIC register if you have a state permit. But before discussing any further, firearms are not to be discussed here on the forum....period.
Do we simply stick our heads in the sand? There are predators who select their prey based on appearance. Who better than old folks? I have to look no further than Corpus Christi a few weeks back. Couple killed camping at the beach there.

I understand it's a very volatile subject. Ignoring it is not an answer.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:49 PM   #7

We are not ignoring it, we just can not discuss it. Forum rules....in person is another story or via email.
Old 01-05-2020, 03:57 PM   #8

Quote:
We are not ignoring it, we just can not discuss it. Forum rules....in person is another story or via email.
Ignore ? Not Discuss?, Is there a difference?

I know rules are needed. I accept that. My last post on this.
Old 01-05-2020, 10:53 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75thRanger View Post
Do we simply stick our heads in the sand? There are predators who select their prey based on appearance. Who better than old folks? I have to look no further than Corpus Christi a few weeks back. Couple killed camping at the beach there.

I understand it's a very volatile subject. Ignoring it is not an answer.
I am an old white guy who has had spine and total knee ops and therefor walk w a limp. I cannot run from trouble......and a cop is too heavy.....
Old 01-06-2020, 08:49 AM   #10

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
I personally am here to discuss our trailers and camping, not bad stuff. I like being happy.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:40 AM   #11

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
I like being happy.
and strumming my guitar and drinking fine coffee.

Makes me uneasy when I see folks wanting to stray off, against forum rules, into topics that inevitably lead to the forum being a hostile place.

Kudos to the mods. for keeping the forum a happy place.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2020, 11:47 AM   #12

and do not forget the cold beer..........
Old 01-06-2020, 08:18 PM   #13
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Quote:
and do not forget the cold beer..........
never forget the cold beer!
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:26 AM   #14

Unhappy ??s

I read somewhere that the hasps/latches on the front locking storage bin are such that a std padlock hasp is too big to fit. So, can someone tell me what locks to buy that will fit the latches of a 2nd gen E-21 front storage box Thanks.
Old 01-07-2020, 12:34 AM   #15
Bea

The front storage lock clasps can take a padlock with a shackle up to .25 inches in diameter. -Bea
Bea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 12:53 AM   #16
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
I just put a skinny toy grade carabiner through them to ensure they won't come unlatched. any lock that would fit them is a joke and could be snipped with a small hand cutter, worse that area is subject to a lot of road spray and I'm afraid a padlock would get jammed up and not want to unlock. I just carry chocks and blocks and a hammer and a few spikes in there, not much else. my sewer gloves and dirty hose.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 01:01 AM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
I just put a skinny toy grade carabiner through them to ensure they won't come unlatched.

Excellent advice. If you make it difficult to open, it will just result in more damage than the contents are worth.
Old 01-07-2020, 06:05 AM   #18

I bought this set of 4 locks 7 years ago and they are still in use
https://www.amazon.com/Master-Lock-P...57WR9JB13Z7E0W
you will need 2 for the front box and 2 for your sewer tube, all keyed alike
Attached Thumbnails
313UuUTsJqL._AC_PIbundle-4,TopRight,0,0_SH20_.jpg  
Old 01-07-2020, 07:58 AM   #19

Trailer: 2018 21 Sept 7 2018
Can the Mod who deleted my post please contact me ty
Oldtimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2020, 08:22 AM   #20

Trailer: 2018 Escape 21C
We use 2 padlocks on our front storage box and 2 carabiners on our sewer tube .
When we headed West to pickup our Escape , we only brought along what was absolutely necessary to get her home safely / legally . You could try and plan for every possible “ What if “ but being that paranoic kind of takes the fun out of life .
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote