Quick help with LED Bulb - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 09-23-2016, 03:16 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 17B
Quick help with LED Bulb

Hello there -- can anyone tell me what type of LED this is so that I can order warmer light replacements? I'm not having much luck figuring this out -- looked in another thread and I think Reace must be using diff lights these days?

Thanks, ~e
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4046.jpg  
medora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:38 PM   #2

Trailer: pondering.....
Quote:
Originally Posted by medora View Post
Hello there -- can anyone tell me what type of LED this is so that I can order warmer light replacements? I'm not having much luck figuring this out -- looked in another thread and I think Reace must be using diff lights these days?

Thanks, ~e
random thoughts...
Since many led fixtures have a custom non-standard surface mount led assembly for the " lamp", an alternate led assembly may or may not be available from the fixture manufacturer. Perhaps ETI can help with the fixture manufacturer info or labeling on the fixture may provide this info.

a picture of the inside of the fixture would be helpful to determine the mechanicals for a possible replacement assembly. While the 2 pin base of the led assembly may be a standard size , the physical outline of the led assembly may not.

The individual surface mount leds (probably 3014) are replaceable with a soldering iron.

It is also tough to tell the color temp of the led just by looking at it, but being that the led apparently has a yellow epoxy lens it probably is a somewhat "warm" led versus a clear or white epoxy lens which might be a "cool" white led.
freespirit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 04:43 PM   #3

Thanks -- so you're saying I basically have to get from the manufacturer, that this isn't s standard mount? I just wanted to replace bulbs, not fixtures ...
Old 09-23-2016, 04:45 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
I stopped by ETI to get LED bulbs and they just replaced the entire fixture with a better one.
Old 09-23-2016, 04:52 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013 Esc19/'14 Silvrado
Looks like you want an LED that has a 194 base.
Attached Thumbnails
LED194.jpg  
Old 09-23-2016, 04:53 PM   #6

Trailer: 1979 Boler B1700
The contacts (at the bottom of the photo) probably match the common wedge-base bulbs (921, etc), and there are lots of LED units which are designed to plug into that sort of socket. This unit has a hole (at the top of the photo) which is probably to secure the unit to the fixture. While there are probably various light fixtures using this same (or compatible) unit, there's no industry standard for it, so the odds of finding an exact-fit replacement are not great. I would hate to waste the fixture, but that's may the practical thing to do.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 05:00 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyronL View Post
Looks like you want an LED that has a 194 base.
SuperBrightLEDs calls that a "miniature wedge base", and it includes standard bulb types including 194 and the larger 921.
A potential issue is that the original LED unit only emits light outward, so the fixture may not have a reflector at all. That would mean the replacement would need to be a similar one-sided device; there are lots of those but a bulb-shaped unit such as the one shown would not be a good replacement.
Old 09-23-2016, 05:31 PM   #8

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
If 921 base will fit (they do in mine, but I'm not sure I have the same fixture) these are one sided warm white lamps from eBay. While they don't give the color temperature, warm white usually refers to the range of 2800°K - 3200°K, warmer than the cool white at 6000°K. One note - at 624 Lumens, these are pretty bright, but at that price for 10 lamps, it might be worth a try...
Old 09-23-2016, 05:31 PM   #9

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
If anyone is interested in some good LED wedge bulbs. I have a few around that I have no use for and would gladly mail out. They definitely work in the older Escape fixtures.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:10 PM   #10

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbaglo View Post
I stopped by ETI to get LED bulbs and they just replaced the entire fixture with a better one.
What was your original fixture and what type of fixture did they give you? I picked some new LED fixtures up from them in August and they don't have the same profile as the old Bargman fixtures. The screw holes won't line up because the new fixture is narrower and shorter. I guess they changed the fixtures that they use recently so I need to head back out there and return them.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_6493.jpg   DSC_6494.jpg   DSC_6495.jpg   DSC_6496.jpg  
msweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 08:40 PM   #11

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17B 2020 Toyota Highlander XLE
Beats me. They did the install.
Old 09-23-2016, 08:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Bennett View Post
If anyone is interested in some good LED wedge bulbs. I have a few around that I have no use for and would gladly mail out. They definitely work in the older Escape fixtures.
Hi Jim - I'll take you up on the offer if they are still available. Ordering some LED bulbs is on my really long to-do list. PM heading your way.
Old 09-23-2016, 09:07 PM   #13

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Looks a lot like these

http://www.campingworld.com/shopping...ht-white/81377
Attached Thumbnails
LED lamp.jpg  
tdf-texas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:21 PM   #14

So much for my "quick question" .

The 921 doesn't work in mine. I ordered these from Amazon and had to return today.

https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B00EKN8FXC

It looks like I have the older LED fixture (Bargman?) that's pictured. Given that, do I have any choice as far as replacements? They're all working now, I just wanted to experiment with different light temps -- though if they're going to be difficult or extremely expensive to replace when I really need to that'd be good to know.

~e
Old 09-23-2016, 09:39 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by medora View Post
It looks like I have the older fixture (Bargman?) that's pictured.
I have the older style incandescent fixtures (2008 era) and the reflector says to use type 921 bulbs - see photo.

Tammy from ETI suggested sourcing the replacement bulbs from https://www.superbrightleds.com/. I haven't tried yet.
Attached Thumbnails
DSC_6313.jpg  
Old 09-23-2016, 09:41 PM   #16

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
I ordered some warm bulbs in the same number (except for the warm designation) and they would not fit despite the fact that the cool ones do. Go figure. So I don't know how to get other ones either.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2016, 09:51 PM   #17

Yeah, I don't see anything that would work at superbrightleds -- perhaps a quick email to Escape is in order.
Old 09-23-2016, 10:37 PM   #18

Trailer: 2015 21'; 2011 19' sold; 4Runner; ph ninezero3 327-27ninefour
Escape starting putting all LEDs last year but they are completely different from what you or I would need. So have to talk to someone who knows about replacing their old fixtures where a bulb is easily replaced, which is not the case any more.
float5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 12:15 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdf-texas View Post
If the hole is in the right place, that looks like a winner.

Just a note on the Camping World listing: it says "18 watt", but that is clearly not correct; it was presumably supposed to say "18 LEDs" or "18 diodes" or "18 SMDs" (which all mean the same thing).

Here's another retailer's listing of the same item:
65432 Diamond Group Overhead 906/921 Style LED Bulb
Quote:
Sealed SMD Technology LED replacement bulb for 906/921 overhead applications. 175 lumens, Daylight white 5500k.
... or Amazon.com:
Diamond Group 65432 18 Diode LED Bulb with SMD Technology
Quote:
Recommended for top mount/overhead use, this 18 diode LED bulb features a wedge mount connector and built in surge protection. With a 5500 Kelvin or daylight white color scheme, you can replace 906, 921, 161, 168, and 194 bulbs. 175 lumen output with .12 amp draw.
That's about 1.5 watts, which is reasonable for this type of device.
Old 09-24-2016, 08:02 AM   #20

Thanks Brian. I'm glad I asked about this though it's clearly not quite as easy as I thought it would be. It's good to know there are replacements, but they are so pricey and limited in temp -- more than a new fixture with a cheaper and more flexible range of replaceable bulbs.

Something to think about when the bulbs eventually do go bad, I guess. Thanks to Eric Thompson I just added a few reading lights, so now that I'm a rewriting pro I wouldn't be as intimitated by swapping these out at some point.