Range Hood, do you use it or not? - Page 2 - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login
Register Files FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-08-2015, 10:11 AM   #21
Site Team

Trailer: 2015 19 "Past Tents", 2021 F150 Lariat 2.7L EB
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna D. View Post
I have to admit the outside vent is really cheesy. It's the standard in the RV industry. I know Casita manufacturing has changed to a different one, a tad bit larger and sleeker looking. I suppose when the time comes for a replacement I may give it a try. I wonder what Airstream uses? Metal perhaps? The next time I see an Airstream I'll check it out. Metal would be the UV solution.

This one is the one I think Casita started using now:

http://www.amazon.com/JR-Products-50.../dp/B007HFX5NK

It's supposed to be made of a UV stable plastic that is guaranteed not to yellow. But, it is about 5 times more expensive than the "standard" one.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:27 AM   #22

Trailer: 2008 Escape 17b
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post

It's supposed to be made of a UV stable plastic that is guaranteed not to yellow. But, it is about 5 times more expensive than the "standard" one.
It's a nicer look but a different size. I don't think many will want to cut a larger hole in the side of their trailer. If the yellowing is one's biggest concern a can of spray paint will brighten up the look.
J Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:18 AM   #23

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
We have one in our 19. Use it all the time. Quicker evacuation of "stuff" than the roof fan. Only downer is ours is made of stainless steel and isn't magnetic----can't use the ever-popular fridge magnets

Doug
NuthatchBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:28 AM   #24

Trailer: 17b
Had one in my 17b. I cook outside except when it's too cold, rainy, or windy, and those days I liked having the fan because I burn everything. Also, I would definitely add an opening window above the sink - it serves the same purpose, though not as efficiently, but it's really nice to be able to reach it while in bed to crack it and get a little air in. Without it, you have to open the big window above your head. The little window gives you just the right amount of air.
Escape While You Can is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:58 AM   #25

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
While I also do most of my cooking outdoors, I still use the range hood the few times I cook inside, and find it invaluable to prevent setting off the smoke alarm when toasting a bagel or English muffin. I did change the lamp to an LED.
Old 02-08-2015, 01:10 PM   #26

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Hmmmm...... Jon do the LEDs fit into that range hood socket better than the standard bulbs ?
The standard bulb in ours has always been a bit loose fitting and consequently we have gone through quite a few bulbs .
Old 02-08-2015, 01:55 PM   #27

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
The bulbs are the wedge type and I turned my socket down for more light, never had the bulb come out, make sure it is wedged into the socket. You may want to turn your socket up if the issue persists.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:11 PM   #28

Trailer: Bigfoot 25' 2018
We bought our 19 used. It came without a hood, but the sink and stove top were switched. The stove is closest to the door and closest to the ceiling fan. Seems to work well for us.

This is a similar set up to our Shasta which has no hood with the stove near the roof fan. We've used it for extended trips without problem. But, we tend to travel where the humidity is low.
currinh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 02:14 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
I switched my sink and stove in my 19 without a hood as it would have created a hazard for one's head near the door, plus the opening kitchen window with the maxfan took care of the issue. But once the awning window disappeared so did the ideal set up, so back to the hood in the rear position in the 21'.
Old 02-08-2015, 02:42 PM   #30

Trailer: 2017 Escape 19' #2
Had it in the Casita for 7 years and never used anything but the light. Don't have it in the Escape and love not having it, never missed it and have better light in the kitchen.
Old 02-08-2015, 03:37 PM   #31

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
We too do the vast majority of cooking outside, BUT when we do cook inside, it gets used all the time, mostly to quickly evacuate the moisture.

I think that maybe in colder climates it might be more important.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:51 PM   #32

Trailer: '15 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbryan4 View Post

We are going to visit E.T.I. this coming week, do you think Reace would install this on our new build if we brought it to him? I like the looks of this much better than the standard vent.
"How can I be lost, if I have no place to go"
t-twnbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:01 PM   #33

Trailer: 2017 Escape 21C, 2018 Ford F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
Hmmmm...... Jon do the LEDs fit into that range hood socket better than the standard bulbs ?
The standard bulb in ours has always been a bit loose fitting and consequently we have gone through quite a few bulbs .
I replaced mine with a Hong Kong $2.00 panel LED. Came with adapters to the different types of sockets.
Old 02-09-2015, 09:21 AM   #34

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Thanks .....we'll look for those . We do use that light a lot .
Old 02-09-2015, 10:35 AM   #35

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 #8
While we would prefer not to have one, we do use it. Don't forget it also provides some fire protection. I have been know to create what Dave calls '5 alarm recipes' on the stovetop while experimenting with different 'camping' recipes

Kathie
Dave&Kathie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:59 PM   #36

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21
Don't have one, don't miss it. We are, however, very unusual in that we have never used the stove in the trailer. We use a camp stove outside, always. If the weather is bad enough to prevent using the stove outside, we use the microwave or toaster oven inside. We had a Casita for eight years and never used the range hood, except as a light. We really like the more open feel of the kitchen area without the range hood.
keager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:35 PM   #37

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21 -- The Skylark. Towed by a 2014 Highlander
We have a range hood and use it when we cook inside -- which happens when it is rainy or cold weather. We like it for transporting the moisture outside. We have had the occasional "smoky" experience, and it is nice to have a range hood to help evacuate the smoke and odors outside.

I understand the attraction of omitting the range hood, but it would not be my choice.
LeonW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:38 PM   #38
Site Team

Trailer: 2014 Escape 5.0 TA
I'm going to assume most of us have a range hood in our sticks 'n bricks homes. Have you ever cleaned it? OMG, I have, greasy sticky mess. I eat the same foods when camping as I do at home. I gave up eating hot dogs and s'mores with the tent. I'm grateful that greasy stuff isn't stuck to the bottom of the kitchen cabinets or along the ceiling of Ten Forward. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:08 PM   #39

Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Quote:
I'm going to assume most of us have a range hood in our sticks 'n bricks homes. Have you ever cleaned it? OMG,
It is code in homes now to have a range hood. Like the bath fan, its main purpose is to vent out moisture to protect the dwelling, and removing odours is just a bonus. But I agree, as little as we have cooked in our trailer, the mesh filter has collected some grease, something I sure wouldn't want on my ceiling fan.
“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” — Abraham Lincoln
Jim Bennett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:28 PM   #40

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Quote:
I'm grateful that greasy stuff isn't stuck to the bottom of the kitchen cabinets or along the ceiling of Ten Forward. YMMV
I think that's pretty much the bottom line for this discussion except for those folks who never ever cook in their trailers or don't mind wiping grease and crude from their fantastic fan blades

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote