Range hood light - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 08-17-2015, 09:43 AM   #1

Trailer: 21' foot 2019
Range hood light

We have a 19' footer, new in November '14. We're very pleased.

However the range hood light does not work. Not absolutely sure but we can't remember it ever working.

The range hood has a small translucent white plastic rectangle over the light, in front of the range hood filter. I haven't figured out how to remove that plastic light cover without bending or breaking something. I'll probably get that much figured out on my own. At some point.

But why the light does not work (from the switch on the front of the range hood) is another question. How would I debug this? Loose wire? Bad light?
pittendrigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 09:55 AM   #2

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
With our range hood light cover one just squeezes it to release it out of the slots . We have replaced the bulbs very often because it is a very loose fit ( bulb probably damaged from vibration) , but sometimes it just needs a wiggle into place .
Old 08-17-2015, 10:50 AM   #3

Trailer: Escape 21 November 2014; 2022 GMC 1500 3.0L
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabeck View Post
With our range hood light cover one just squeezes it to release it out of the slots . We have replaced the bulbs very often because it is a very loose fit ( bulb probably damaged from vibration) , but sometimes it just needs a wiggle into place .
I found a compatible LED at Lowe's or Home Depot for $10. Others have found them at truck stops. Should take care of it for a while. LED color is comparable to incandescent.

Bill
Bill and Earline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 11:16 AM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 19, sold; 2019 Escape 21, Sept. 2019
Put thumb on top edge closest to you. Push down and wiggle and the cover will come off. You could also remove one screw holding the metal cover between the light and the front where the switch is. This would allow you to check that voltage is reaching the switch, if you have a voltmeter.

Ron
Ron in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 12:11 PM   #5

Trailer: 2013, 17B 'Mini Pearl' and a 2010 Highlander
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron in BC View Post
Put thumb on top edge closest to you. Push down and wiggle and the cover will come off.
Ha Ha, ours come out by pushing up from the bottom.
The stock bulb appears to be a 194 and it puts out almost no light whatsoever. An LED would be a great improvement.
Old 08-17-2015, 04:24 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 Escape 21 Classic #7
we replaced with LED:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o05_s00
7th Heaven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2015, 05:28 PM   #7

Trailer: 2012 Escape 15 A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill and Earline View Post
I found a compatible LED at Lowe's or Home Depot for $10. Others have found them at truck stops. Should take care of it for a while. LED color is comparable to incandescent.

Bill
Think we'll have to check that out . Jon V. advised on one a while back but we've been so involved in home renos all last winter ,and now landscaping that we just didn't get around to it ....but we sure get into Homedepot and Lowe's often enough ...thanks !
Old 08-17-2015, 06:05 PM   #8

Trailer: 2015 19 foot
I bought an LED light replacement at a local RV dealer. It wasn't bright enough as the LEDs were curled around the core like corn kernels on a cob. Then I got another one from Camping World ( LED Replacement Directional Bulb with Wedge Mount Connection - Diamond 52601-WW - Light Bulbs - Camping World ) and it is much better as it is a flat plate with more LEDs on it so they all shine down. There is a slight problem as the mount causes some of the LEDs to be hidden behind the opening. I am thinking of taking the hood apart so I can move the mount to a better position.
bdornbush is offline   Reply With Quote