re-mounting solar panels - Escape Trailer Owners Community
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Escape Trailer Owners Community > Escape Tech > Problem Solving | Owners helping each other
Click Here to Login

Old 01-25-2018, 01:57 PM   #1

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
re-mounting solar panels

I have a 2012 19' Escape that the (only epoxied)solar panel parted ways and was lost somewhere on the east coast. Long story short, after a bit of investigation Escape warrantied it and sent me a new 100W panel. I want to mount it in the center like the old 95W panel and I don't mind drilling some holes in the roof.
I remember a thread on this where someone mounted it on plastic lumber or some such material, as the riser and then mounted to the f/g. W/o doing a major 'search' I figured I'd shoot it up the flag pole and see who might have the answer.

What is the BEST way to mount this sucker with mechanical fasteners?

TIA!

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 02:56 PM   #2

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
Klem posted that and I like his idea- especially if you're going to put in in its original forward place. Otherwise you will have the screws showing on your headliner and will have to cover them with plastic buttons.

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f3...f-5742-23.html
Old 01-25-2018, 02:57 PM   #3

Trailer: 2013 19 Escape
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatpick View Post
I have a 2012 19' Escape that the (only epoxied)solar panel parted ways and was lost somewhere on the east coast. Long story short, after a bit of investigation Escape warrantied it and sent me a new 100W panel. I want to mount it in the center like the old 95W panel and I don't mind drilling some holes in the roof.
I remember a thread on this where someone mounted it on plastic lumber or some such material, as the riser and then mounted to the f/g. W/o doing a major 'search' I figured I'd shoot it up the flag pole and see who might have the answer.

What is the BEST way to mount this sucker with mechanical fasteners?

TIA!

steve
Steve search for Klem solar install. Pat
Patandlinda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:02 PM   #4

Trailer: 2014 Escape 21C 2019 Expedition
This is how I did mine-

http://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f9...-10184-10.html
Old 01-25-2018, 03:18 PM   #5

Trailer: 2012 Escape-19
I called Escape about the glued on panel on my E-21. They sent me metal L brackets, hardware, button covers, sealant and instructions as a kit at no charge. They may be sending mounting hwd. with the new panel. Give them a call. I don't really notice the 4 screw covers in the ceiling.
Eddie
elongest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 03:47 PM   #6

Trailer: 2013 19' & 2013 15B
I fastened three flexible solar panels to the roof of my Escape using Eternabond tape. Of course, that would not work with your non-flexible panels.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Dave Walter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 07:09 PM   #7

Trailer: 2014 17b/ 2012 Chevy Colorado
We have not used the retrofit kit supplied by Escape for our 17 B after 15000 miles or so, including a day with 50 mph headwinds crossing Wyoming a few weeks ago. I check the panel every gas up however.
yardsale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 08:11 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
I fastened three flexible solar panels to the roof of my Escape using Eternabond tape. Of course, that would not work with your non-flexible panels.
What brand and how are they working out Dave .Pat
Old 01-25-2018, 09:17 PM   #9

Trailer: 2018 Escape 19 on order
I'm wondering if 3M 5200 sealant would work to mount solar panels. In my previous boating life, it was said never use 5200 if you ever plan on removing an item. This stuff stays flexible and ha around 600 lbs per square inch strength.

Personally, I'd rather use the tape, but 5200 might be an option.
Kingbiscuit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2018, 09:29 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
What brand and how are they working out Dave .Pat
Went with panels from Lensun. https://www.facebook.com/Lensunsolarpanels/

Installed them on the roof of the 15B in October just before I covered the trailer for the winter so will not really find out how they perform until spring. The open space on the roof was quite limited due to the higher center area and lower sides, and I did not want to have an elevated panel, so I went with two 20W panels on the sides and one 50W panel in the center of the rear of the trailer.

"It is better to remain silent at the risk of being thought a fool, than to talk and remove all doubt of it." - 1907, Maurice Switzer
Old 01-25-2018, 11:10 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Walter View Post
Went with panels from Lensun. https://www.facebook.com/Lensunsolarpanels/

Installed them on the roof of the 15B in October just before I covered the trailer for the winter so will not really find out how they perform until spring. The open space on the roof was quite limited due to the higher center area and lower sides, and I did not want to have an elevated panel, so I went with two 20W panels on the sides and one 50W panel in the center of the rear of the trailer.
Thankyou Dave . Sure much nicer install . I have a fiberglass cooler on our roof and it stays cool in the California sun tonthe touch .So with the fiberglass backing on those panels I am hoping they won't get hot on the roof of the trailer . When you can post your remarks and your accessment of those panels . Very interested . In fact pictures of your install would be great . Pat
Old 01-26-2018, 09:52 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patandlinda View Post
Thankyou Dave . Sure much nicer install . I have a fiberglass cooler on our roof and it stays cool in the California sun tonthe touch .So with the fiberglass backing on those panels I am hoping they won't get hot on the roof of the trailer . When you can post your remarks and your accessment of those panels . Very interested . In fact pictures of your install would be great . Pat
Below is a picture of a 15B with a solid solar panel (not mine). See how the panel is elevated above the roof. I really didn't like the look of that so I went with the flexible panels (see the picture of a Lensun panel). Also shown is a picture of the three panels taped onto the roof, and another picture showing the wiring of the MPPT controller under the rear bench. I just finished the install in October just before I covered the trailer for the winter. Will have to see how the whole setup works when the trailer is uncovered in the spring.
Attached Thumbnails
15B with elevated solar panel.jpg   20171009_104518.jpg   20171009_144322.jpg   20171009_134228.jpg  

Old 01-26-2018, 03:39 PM   #13

Trailer: 2009 Escape 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingbiscuit View Post
I'm wondering if 3M 5200 sealant would work to mount solar panels. In my previous boating life, it was said never use 5200 if you ever plan on removing an item. This stuff stays flexible and ha around 600 lbs per square inch strength.

Personally, I'd rather use the tape, but 5200 might be an option.
I used the 5200 on my install. No problems so far.

http://www.escapeforum.org/attachmen...bbff1d5caf.jpg
Old 01-27-2018, 08:47 AM   #14

Trailer: 2012 Escape 19 "Tortuga"
https://temcoindustrial.com/temco-sb...z-bracket.html

going to bolt 'em on. screw the tape, pun intended. guess what? they won't come off. ever.

steve
flatpick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2018, 10:08 AM   #15

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Quote:
Originally Posted by flatpick View Post
https://temcoindustrial.com/temco-sb...z-bracket.html

going to bolt 'em on. screw the tape, pun intended. guess what? they won't come off. ever.

steve
You might want to use the tape as well. The tape keeps the wind from lifting the edges and keeps dirt from collecting under the solar panel.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:19 AM   #16

Trailer: Escape#5 2022 E19
Tape and bolt may be a better idea, bolt alone is holding thru a thin pice of f/g whereas tape spreads the adhesive territory, thus both would compliment each other.
Old 01-27-2018, 10:39 AM   #17

Trailer: 2017 21' Escape - upgraded version
Sorry Steve, I thought we were still talking about the flexible solar panels when I replied to your post. The brackets are not the way to mount a flexible solar panel - they would be quickly destroyed as the wind would rip it apart mounted above the trailer surface.

For a framed panel, they would be fine bolted and tape would be irrelevant.